What kind of duck?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:57 pm

I was out on a Lake today scouting from the shoreline cause i dont have a duck boat yet. I walked the whole shoreline of a big campground (closed untill duck season ends so duck hunters can hunt) and stumbled across some ducks from a distance. They were big ducks like a mallard, but they were divers. The only reason i saw them is because on their chest it looked snow white and I saw that flashing when they turned and looked towards me from about 300-400 yrds away. They looked like they were a dark briwn all over except their chest and maybe on the sides in the front of the wing. ( no they were not geese because they were diving and poping up about 20 ft from where they went under). I forgot my binos so it was hard to see em. Does anybody have any clue what they could be? There were 7 of them that i could see the snow white chest flashing but could not tell if they were drakes or hens or if there were any hens with them.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga


Re: What kind of duck?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Could have been mergansers
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6082
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 pm

By the way I grew up in Marietta / Smyrna
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 6082
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby neon58 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Common mergansers
neon58
hunter
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:59 pm
Location: seldom on the X

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:28 pm

Common mergansers get as big as a mature mallard? I mean this duck was big! Im not sayn its not a common merganser it just seemed too big to me to be one. Iv never seen a common merganser, how big do they get?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:50 pm

More than likely common mergansers and they do get big almost as big as a cormorant. But not quite that big. Could have also been great (white breasted) cormorants.
Last edited by rebelp74 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby greyling » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:51 pm

I would bet it was a Grebe
greyling
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 pm

rebelp74 wrote:More than likely common mergansers and they do get big almost as big as a cormorant. But not quite that big. Could have also been great (white breasted) cormorants.
. Its a duck and i had to walk 5 miles on a shoreline to find em. I busted my butt 3 times. Fell on rocks 2wice and supprised i didnt break a leg or arm. Im gona hunt em monday and hopefully they will still be there.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Good Luck! Do a image search on bing or google and see if you can find them so you'll be sure that you can legally shoot em and know the limit.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:14 am

rebelp74 wrote:Good Luck! Do a image search on bing or google and see if you can find them so you'll be sure that you can legally shoot em and know the limit.

That was my next step. If im not 100% sure i know what something is I wont shoot it.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:22 am

Duckslayer26 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Good Luck! Do a image search on bing or google and see if you can find them so you'll be sure that you can legally shoot em and know the limit.

That was my next step. If im not 100% sure i know what something is I wont shoot it.

:thumbsup:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby greyling » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:56 am

Look up Grebe. I see these things floating down the river and think they are geese coming down but then when it gets closer it dives and I get all confused. but eventually I can see it clearly enough to see what it is.
greyling
hunter
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:13 am

rebelp74 wrote:
Duckslayer26 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Good Luck! Do a image search on bing or google and see if you can find them so you'll be sure that you can legally shoot em and know the limit.

That was my next step. If im not 100% sure i know what something is I wont shoot it.

:thumbsup:

My 16 yr old nephew was down at our farm house last year during the season and was walking around our field and had a bird fly over him from the pond across the street. It had honkers all in it but the bird looked too small to be a goose and too big to be a mallard. It flew over him and made a high pitch noise kind like a snow goose he said. He didnt shoot it on that pass. The honkers started really talkin abd it came back over him and he shot it. It turned out to be a blue phase ross goose! IN SOUTH GA! Whod a thunk. We looked it up and the chances of shooting one of those it said was 1 in 10,000,000. We were shocked! We have only seen 6 snow geese in the 9 yrs we have had the place but never could shoot them because it wasnt our pond. That was certainly a day for him to remember for sure!
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am

greyling wrote:Look up Grebe. I see these things floating down the river and think they are geese coming down but then when it gets closer it dives and I get all confused. but eventually I can see it clearly enough to see what it is.

Either they were grebes or common mergansers. I just couldnt tell for sure on the colors cause i forgot the binos. Whats the limit on grebes this year? Are they any good to eat ?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby duckman27 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Common mergansers are huge. I killed one a few weeks ago that was probably 4 inches longer that a mallard
User avatar
duckman27
hunter
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Firestone, CO

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213666
I saw this it might help with i.d. of the birds
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm

rebelp74 wrote:viewtopic.php?f=2&t=213666
I saw this it might help with i.d. of the birds

Thats what they were man. Now what kinda spread would be best for them? I know a diver spread but what kinda decoys? iv never hunted for just mergansers.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 pm

duckman27 wrote:Common mergansers are huge. I killed one a few weeks ago that was probably 4 inches longer that a mallard

What kinda spread did you have?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby duckman27 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:01 pm

I had 2 dozen mallards, a dozen teal, and 6 spoonies. Mergs could care less what you have out. It seems to me like they just want to fly the shorelines
User avatar
duckman27
hunter
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Firestone, CO

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 pm

duckman27 wrote:I had 2 dozen mallards, a dozen teal, and 6 spoonies. Mergs could care less what you have out. It seems to me like they just want to fly the shorelines

Ok thanks. Il throw out about 1 dz mallards and 6 teal and see what happens. I hope i geta drake and hen cause ima mount them. Whats the limit on common mergansers? 2 or 4?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't know about every where else but, around here, on the big river, Canvasback drake decoys work good for common mergy. :thumbsup:
They are attracted to white in general, so throwing a few snow goose floaters in your normal duck spread enhances possibillity too.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2389
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm

QH's Paw wrote:I don't know about every where else but, around here, on the big river, Canvasback drake decoys work good for common mergy. :thumbsup:
They are attracted to white in general, so throwing a few snow goose floaters in your normal duck spread enhances possibillity too.

I dont have any snow geese deeks cause im in ga and have only seen a handfull in the past 9 years. I do have canvasback deeks though.mThanks for the tip man
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Yam45 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:57 am

Image
Image
Here are pics of male and female common mergansers and a gadwall (hens have brown heads. Hope this helps
Yam45
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 am
Location: West Wyoming, PA

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby duckman27 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Here's a merg compared to a drake mallard
Attachments
turkey043-1.jpg
User avatar
duckman27
hunter
 
Posts: 2170
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Firestone, CO

Re: What kind of duck?

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:26 am

So it looks like you can shoot 5 and no more than 2 hoodys?
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter
 
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:13 pm
Location: Roswell, Ga

Next

Return to Diver Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests