Couple ?'S

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Couple ?'S

Postby Utter chaos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:52 pm

I have an 870 supermag usually shoot 3in #4s that shoot 1550fps What is a good choke for 0-45 yard shots out of the blind an maybe 50 yards on the occasonal jump shoot an for the 0-45 yard shots how far should i be leeding them also is that the correct load for mallards or should i find something that shoots faster
Season totals
1 Widgeon
15 honkers
days hunted 4
Utter chaos
hunter

Re: Couple ?'S

Postby FowlOffspring » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Are you looking for a brand specific choke or just an all around choke? Because a modified choke will do the trick out to about 40 yards if the specific load patterns well in your gun. I still wouldn't attempt long shots past 35 yards myself without an extended choke tube.3 inch 4s are good out to around 30 yards but anything further than that, I would shoot 2s. 1550 FPS is fine, I have shot slower loads and killed plenty of birds. As far as distance to lead them goes, at 30 to 40 yards, lead them until you can see their head and squeeze
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby EastSide32 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:49 pm

0 yard shots could get messy. I suggest a BB gun. :thumbsup:
EastSide32
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:55 pm

EastSide32 wrote:0 yard shots could get messy. I suggest a BB gun. :thumbsup:

Hahahahaha
Season totals
1 Widgeon
15 honkers
days hunted 4
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:50 pm

When you get tired of crippling birds, you'll probably end up shooting #2 or #1s. #4 are best for close up shots, they run out of steam pretty quick. Back in the days of lead #4 was plenty and some hybredized heavys it probably still is but, in plain steel I would go with #1 and maybe #2 if you can get them to pattern out to that distance and penetrate. It doesn't matter how fast they leave the muzzle, if they can't penetrate when they get there it's pointless and will only increase crippling rates..
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:03 pm

I have come to love 4's this year, feet down it's plenty. As far as choke just pick one. The average waterfowler will never notice the 5 to 10% in pattern density from one choke to the next. Do a touch of research with the company or choke of choice as far as distance and your good to go.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting