FIELD DECOYS FOR CHEAP!!!

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

FIELD DECOYS FOR CHEAP!!!

Postby tlrmike99 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:54 am

OK, we had some snowflake decorations that died, and they had stakes on them that were about 10 inches long, and had a cross section like a + sign. The top was notched in a little smaller, like from 1/2" to 3/8 " . the other end was pointy to go in the ground.

I started with some Garage Sale deeks, and cut off the keel and then opened about a 3" hole in the botom, just forward of center about an inch.... I then stuck the stake up to the back of the decoy and holding the stake, moved the decoy around until it ballanced flat. This took a bit, and I had to drill twice on one deek, so start with your worst... :) .

I then marked and drilled a hold in the top of the deek. Mine came out right about 2" behind the neck int he center of the back. I wollowed the hold JUST a TINY BIT, so the deek can wobble a lil in the wind. There you have it, a field deek for about $the cost of a deek. You could use about anything for the stake. I was thinking a metal tent stake (look like big nails) with the head ground off and a washer tack welded on about 1/2" down for the decoy to rest on.) would work too. The ones I had were just there and worked so why not. Will be able to make about 10 of them.... sure better than $150+ a dozen.

Last edited by tlrmike99 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tlrmike99
hunter

Re: FIELD DECOYS FOR CHEAP!!!

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:06 am

do you think you could use the plastic tent stakes or wont they be tall enough
quacknstack6 wrote:It's Shaun douchenozzle.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:48 pm

I found these, looks like they have a lottle round ent on them, would probably work goood.... gonna look for some at the local BiMart store....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSO80TS-25-pack ... 53eacca126

Got the Decoys cut and drilled... pic is kinds small/dark/blury, but hey it was taken at 5PM in Oregon, so getting dark and wet..LOL!

tlrmike99
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 am

I like these :thumbsup:
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks, they came out good. been thinking about doing it for a while, but when the snowflake lights bit the dust, and the stakes were just sitting there, I had to get on it....LOL! Should have had them done last year when we had no water!

I really just could not believe the price for the full bodies. Some are more than goose deeks.... unreal! These are about $4 if you have to buy the stakes. i can get individual Flambeau deeks for $2.50 at Bi-Mart...
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Do they move in the wind? If I do this, I think I'll spray paint the stakes orange.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 pm

I need to work on making the holes bigger, and they will move some in the wind.... I just don't want to get the hole to big.

I painted the top of the stakes to match the decoys so the lil bit that pokes through hides some, and then I am gonna paint the rest of the stake (like the bottom 2/3's) orange. NOTE: Do not use marking paint (the kind that sprays upside down) as I tried it, and it pushed off of the stake as it went into the ground. Just didn't stick. Get a decent can of spray paint in orange. Also, the marking paint was to floresent.
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby ORquackkiller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm

That looks sweet! :thumbsup: I think i will do that with some of my old Flambeau deeks when i get the money to buy some new GHG's! Thanks for the idea! :beer: x2
ORquackkiller
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 pm

tlrmike99 wrote:I need to work on making the holes bigger, and they will move some in the wind.... I just don't want to get the hole to big.

As long as you have the hole in the back drilled at the balance point of the decoy there is no such thing as too large a hole in the bottom. I have some I made that I cut the entire bottom out of the decoy and they balance just fine and move great with even a light breeze.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:05 am

Ya, I meant the top hole, if I get it too big, it will slide all the way down the stake. I cut a big hole with my Dremal on the bottom of the first decoy, but once I knew where the ballance point was, the 3" hole saw was much faster....

Now if the other guy that has permission to hunt my flooded field would stop hunting it 3-4 TIMES A WEEK, maybe it would get some birds back in it.... :mad:
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby tywhite87 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Gotcha. For the stake I just used a 1/2" dowel rod and I used a bench grinder to turn the top 1/2" of the rod down to 1/4" and drilled a 3/8" hole in the back of the decoy. That way the deke isn't tight around the stake so it moves freely but there is no chance of it sliding down the stake.
tywhite87
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Thats what I did too, but the difference in size from the small top of the stake to the wider was close, so I am just hand tuning it so to speak, so I dont take it too far.

BTW, super smart idea with the dowel and grinding it.... cheap and easy.... when I run out of my snoflake decoration stakes, thats what I am gonna do...
tlrmike99
hunter

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting