duck hunting practice

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

duck hunting practice

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:21 am

so are any of you guys practicing different things for duck season? what we started doing is having two people shooting with three people throwing clays at different speeds and directions... it helps make you pick your target, shoot, then try for another one... it was kind of funny because casey and i were shooting the same clays a couple times... he'd shoot it, then a split second later my shot would dust any remaining pieces...
i think next time we go we'll pack along our hunting chairs and try shooting sitting, and standing up and shooting...
any other ideas?
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby harvey1b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:59 am

I've been shooting quite a bit of clays this summer. I have started in the gun down position b/c it is much more representative of a hunting situation. We also took our layout blinds to the range and gave them a try.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:05 am

yeah we always start gun down... if i had a layout blind i would definately have to try that :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby youngster57 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:43 am

Yep gun down for me. I have started practicing for season the idea of 3 throwers is a great idea though ill have to get the boys together and give er a try.
youngster57
hunter

Postby choclab » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:06 am

I have been shooting pigeons. They are considered non-classified wildlife in Wa. state. So.............shoot as many as you like, when ever you like. I have been laying the lead to them at my buddys feedlot. It's pretty damn fun. The get pretty hard to hit when they turn on the afterburners. Kinda like shooting at teal.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:06 am

I focus on Crows. Season starts a month before our early goose season. Found the need for camo, cover, no movement , patience and the occasional wierd approach of a living critter a bonus. Farmers also love it and have picked up a couple of farms to hunt geese, 'yotes and 'chucks that way. Haven't shot a clay pidgeon in years.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby thaner » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:05 pm

I shot registered skeet, trap and sporting for years, but now I just do it for fun and all low gun. I like 5-stand because you get a lot of different targets and it is faster to get the targets in than sporting clays so I can do it once a week at night. If you can and you use a layout blind or boat I highly recommend laying down on the ground and setting up to shoot if they will let you; If not see if you can just sit on the ground. I find it is easy to do at skeet ranges with no objection, but do it informal if you have to. It is much different to move, mount and shoot sitting stuck in position than when you can move around and use your legs to drive the gun. It's valuable practice.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Re: duck hunting practice

Postby Cootlover21 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:19 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:so are any of you guys practicing different things for duck season? what we started doing is having two people shooting with three people throwing clays at different speeds and directions... it helps make you pick your target, shoot, then try for another one... it was kind of funny because casey and i were shooting the same clays a couple times... he'd shoot it, then a split second later my shot would dust any remaining pieces...
i think next time we go we'll pack along our hunting chairs and try shooting sitting, and standing up and shooting...
any other ideas?

Nothin gets me ready for duck season like dove season :salude:
Cootlover21
hunter

Postby tjkellyc4 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:38 am

i shoot alot of clay pigeons, but dove hunting is a great challenge to help prepare yourself as well.
tjkellyc4
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:16 pm

I'm with Tanner;

I also am a ATA trap gooroo..........

Nothing like skeet, SC or 5 stand to keep you on your toes !! :thumbsup:

If you can average from 80 to 93% you are in the money............

20 out of 25 means you need to practice a little more. :oops:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:06 pm

Sporting Clays for me... I like to shoot trap too but it is just too repetitive. Sporting clays just puts a bit more challenge into it IMO and they rearrange the course quite often

here in MI we are not allowed to shoot the doves :mad: to many people like to feed them and call them a peaceful bird.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckplucker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:43 pm

i like shooting clays and/or dove for good practice. takes the rust off and gets ya ready for the season.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Return to Target Shooting