Walk in spots? help the new guy!

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Walk in spots? help the new guy!

Postby b_hoov » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:09 pm

New to the forum! I had a nice 16ft riverhawk a few years back but sold it. Hopefully i will be purchasing a new (to me) one come tax time but until then im stuck to walk-in spots only. I haven't been duck hunting in several years, only a handfull of times with my dad and we had a boat at the time. I live on the east side of lanier and know of one decent walk in spot that i will be going to in the morning. I'd be willing to drive 1hr+ to get a decent hole if anyone would like to share the location. I'm pretty much learning this on my own here and would appreciate any help on finding resources, what to look for as far as finding a hole (signs etc) that would tell me weither water fowl are going to be there or if im wasting my time. The spot im going to in the morning is in forsyth co but i have only driven by i have never actually been out to scout etc. Didn't have the time to stop as i was on a test ride. Again any and all info would be greatly appreciated. If i can find a decent spot i would like to get my oldest son started (4yr old) as he loves the outdoors and going hunting. I'd love to get with someone in the area that has some experience and would be willing to show me some things. This looks like a great site and resource and a pretty tight knit group of folks and i look forward to hearing from you guys, and girls. :hi:
Eagle Scout, Harley Davidson Master Tech, And Avid Outdoorsman
“Without wilderness, we will eventually lose the capacity to understand America.
” -Harvey Broome
b_hoov
Newb

Re: Walk in spots? help the new guy!

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:13 am

I know there are many restrictions on Lanier, the worst being, 1000 feet from a dock or structure. Please go read the DNR rules and regs for Lanier and check the GA power lake page to make sure you don't have to have an EXTRA permit to hunt there, I know you do on some of the Ga Power Lakes. Good luck, best thing you can do is get you a boat. I am in middle Ga so hopefully some will chime in on this for you. Check DNR site for places to walk in hunt too.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Re: Walk in spots? help the new guy!

Postby b_hoov » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Dep6 wrote:I know there are many restrictions on Lanier, the worst being, 1000 feet from a dock or structure. Please go read the DNR rules and regs for Lanier and check the GA power lake page to make sure you don't have to have an EXTRA permit to hunt there, I know you do on some of the Ga Power Lakes. Good luck, best thing you can do is get you a boat. I am in middle Ga so hopefully some will chime in on this for you. Check DNR site for places to walk in hunt too.

Thank you for the advice, i had to get a couple additional permits to hunt on lanier. I def need to get a boat but i'll have to wait until i get my tax returns back to do so. And yes trying to be 1000ft from anything out there is very difficult indeed! Going to browse some DNR sites also to find some more places as the one i hunted 2x this week i saw nothing.
Eagle Scout, Harley Davidson Master Tech, And Avid Outdoorsman
“Without wilderness, we will eventually lose the capacity to understand America.
” -Harvey Broome
b_hoov
Newb

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting