Hunting Winter wheat fields? Decoy spreads?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Hunting Winter wheat fields? Decoy spreads?

Postby Okie Rex » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:57 am

What is a good blind setup for hunting winter wheat fields? Using Xmas Ivey on layout blinds right now,just looking for other ideas
that might help. Also decoy spreads, have Canadians with Snows decoys.
Okie Rex
hunter

Re: Hunting Winter wheat fields? Decoy spreads?

Postby weukolar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:50 pm

You will have the best luck on fence lines or waterways. You will get a few in the middle of a field but you will flare 90% of them.
weukolar
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:22 pm

weukolar wrote:You will have the best luck on fence lines or waterways. You will get a few in the middle of a field but you will flare 90% of them.

I don't agree with this. I always try to be where the birds want to be and it is usually out away from fences and most forms of cover. In short cover like wheat stubble, chopped silage fields, or winter wheat I like to set my blind off to the side of my decoys about 20-25 yards where the birds will be working right to left or left to right in front of me. Lots of other guys hide there blinds with decoys but I like to set my blind off to the side of the landing area.
Last edited by noweil on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:34 pm

noweil wrote:set my BLINDS off to the side of my decoys about 20-25 yards where the birds will be working .

Ditto. In the snow with snow covers = easier
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:25 am

I think attempting to hide your layoust with a few decoys will help, also...if you can, take a small shovel along & dig your layouts in can help too.(low profile)..you have very little to hide in that getting down & dirty can help as well.Takes a few mins to do and fill the holes in when you are finished may help ......
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Re: Re: Hunting Winter wheat fields? Decoy spreads?

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:07 am

cut_un wrote:I think attempting to hide your layoust with a few decoys will help, also...if you can, take a small shovel along & dig your layouts in can help too.(low profile)..you have very little to hide in that getting down & dirty can help as well.Takes a few mins to do and fill the holes in when you are finished may help ......

If he's using christmas garland there's a good chance the field is seeded. Digging down would be a great way to never get permission again.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby weukolar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:31 pm

This guy probably doesn't hunt in Oklahoma wheat fields where there is 1/4 of winter wheat with red dirt to hide in. Most people that give advise on winter wheat live up north and it doesn't carry over to Oklahoma unless you can find a no till drill wheat field with stubble or get lucky and hunt a field that hasn't had cattle grazing it.
If the birds are on the field they will move a few hundred yards to a fence line but put out a lot of decoys.

I don't agree with this. I always try to be where the birds want to be and it is usually out away from fences and most forms of cover. In short cover like wheat stubble, chopped silage fields, or winter wheat I like to set my decoys off to the side of my decoys about 20-25 yards where the birds will be working right to left or left to right in front of me. Lots of other guys hide there blinds with decoys but I like to set my blind off to the side of the landing area.[/quote]
weukolar
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:39 pm

weukolar wrote:This guy probably doesn't hunt in Oklahoma wheat fields where there is 1/4 of winter wheat with red dirt to hide in. Most people that give advise on winter wheat live up north and it doesn't carry over to Oklahoma unless you can find a no till drill wheat field with stubble or get lucky and hunt a field that hasn't had cattle grazing it.
If the birds are on the field they will move a few hundred yards to a fence line but put out a lot of decoys.

I don't agree with this. I always try to be where the birds want to be and it is usually out away from fences and most forms of cover. In short cover like wheat stubble, chopped silage fields, or winter wheat I like to set my decoys off to the side of my decoys about 20-25 yards where the birds will be working right to left or left to right in front of me. Lots of other guys hide there blinds with decoys but I like to set my blind off to the side of the landing area.
[/quote]

Nope, I don't hunt wheat in OK. However, I do find that in short cover moving my blind off to the side of my decoy spread and not having birds working at my blind, has been very successful for me. I even use it successfully in tilled fields. I don't see why a blind off to the side would be more of a problem than a fence row or waterway near the decoy?. Mud that blind up good with soil from the area, put the green garland on the blind, put the decoys on the goose poop, and have at it.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:15 pm

check out this link. I hunt in one of the largest wheat producing states in the nation. You have to learn to be adaptable, and sometimes it doesn't hurt to go old school. You know before layout blinds, etc. All of that stuff creates shadowing which is a huge red flag to geese. Read this link there was a couple of us that hunt strictly winter wheat for the most part commenting. I have done if for years and tried it all. By far the best way is to ditch the blinds and lay in the wheat fields under shell decoys. Works everytime for me.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=136607
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:13 pm

I still have my super mag shells we used to lay under before we got our first layout blinds. Killed plenty of geese that way but I don't like laying on the ground anymore.
noweil
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum