New to duck hunting question.

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

New to duck hunting question.

Postby slammingmallards69 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:21 pm

I have been driving around my lease scouting for ducks when i came up on proabably 3 dozen mallards sitting on about a acre size pond. When i drove up they all flew up and landed on about a 4 acre pond that i usually hunt. As i sat there i kept on seeing gadwall and woodies fly to the smaller pond, sit there for a while, and fly to bigger pond. Now my question is should i hunt the smaller pond where all the ducks started off at? Or go hunt the bigger pond that i usally kill a couople woodies and gadwall on?
slammingmallards69
hunter

Re: New to duck hunting question.

Postby Duck Collector » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm

How far apart are they?
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
Duck Collector
hunter

Postby Blindedheart212 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 am

Duck Collector wrote:How far apart are they?

If you stay at either pond long enough, you will notice a "landing strip" that they like to land. If you're fortunate enough, it will be in between the two. One of those ponds are likely for nesting, and one is going to be for feeding. The lack of cover in the one pond would be worrying, but I don't use man made blinds, except on a boat. But, I think it's where the ducks want to be. They want to be at both, so you should see action at both, as long as you're patient, don't call as much, and let them work the decoys.
Blindedheart212
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:41 pm

I would observe from a distance and see what the birds do naturally. You don't want to push them off of a roost and the easiest way to tell is to not disturb them and see which pond they go to at dark. If they stay on the smaller pond until late afternoon and go to the larger one I'd set up on the small pond and give it a try. If they stay on the smaller pond all night you have yourself a roost and hunting it too often will possibly blow them off and they'll use other areas so the small pond would be your setup.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby slammingmallards69 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for the help! The ponds are probably only 500 yards apart and connect by a creek
slammingmallards69
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting