New Ducks ?

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, SPatrick, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

New Ducks ?

Postby Grossy23 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:14 pm

Ok boys , finally got some weather . We saw plenty of flite birds today and got a few . How'd everybody do ? They are on the move .
Grossy23
hunter

Re: New Ducks ?

Postby Weedwacker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:40 pm

Throw us a bone please, what area of the state did you see the new birds?

Thanks.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Saw new birds all morning on the il river. Only had one group work in.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby Canme » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:55 pm

duckaholic_16p wrote:Saw new birds all morning on the il river. Only had one group work in.

So you seen new birds as only got one group to work?

Not new birds then. More than likely just wind blown ducks. Finally not had clear nights for birds to feed all night. Wind stirred them today. I hunt everyday and birds we did kill didn't pile in like new ones. Did get reports of a couple bunches of migrators but nothing major.

Wind has died and ice had formed in the feed by noon. Hopefully the ice doesn't prevent some from stopping.

I'd be ready in South the next two days.
Canme
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:10 pm

I'll add to Grossy's claim (since we hunt within the same county). Hell of a day! The ducks have started in great numbers. Well, at least until it warms up again. And they definitely aren't locals. No way. We couldn't do anything wrong today. Almost every duck wanted in. While picking up a few birds birds were still coming in. Made a great hunting partnership today in the ten plus hours we were out together. The only thing that would have ended a perfect day was a Leinie's.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:47 am

Weedwacker wrote:Throw us a bone please, what area of the state did you see the new birds?

Thanks.

LOL. Get out from behind the internet and look. :thumbsup:
supr87gt
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 am

supr87gt wrote:
Weedwacker wrote:Throw us a bone please, what area of the state did you see the new birds?

Thanks.

LOL. Get out from behind the internet and look. :thumbsup:

If you have nothing to add.... It's about movement not you secret little honey hole.

Thanks others for the feed back.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:33 am

supr87gt wrote:LOL. Get out from behind the internet and look. :thumbsup:

Not needed. Even a county would be helpful. Lord. If you met forum members face-to-face, I bet there would be a degree of respect given. And this is why the waterfowl community makes incorrect stereotypes.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 am

KillerKowalski wrote: And this is why the waterfowl community makes incorrect stereotypes.

It's also why 100 boats show up for 5 spots. If the internet scouters would stay away, half of the pressure would be put on the birds.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:23 am

I am not making the realtionship between how a county correlates with launching a boat on public land. But, there a thousands of geese in central Will County and they all fly after dark. Happy launching in subdivision retention ponds.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby supr87gt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am

KillerKowalski wrote: Happy launching in subdivision retention ponds.

If that's where they're all at, then say so. Maybe the majority of the people internet scouting will stay in their subdivisions with the birds. That's all Im saying.
supr87gt
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:52 am

KillerKowalski wrote:I am not making the realtionship between how a county correlates with launching a boat on public land. But, there a thousands of geese in central Will County and they all fly after dark. Happy launching in subdivision retention ponds.

Killer, let it go as there is no value in this. Funning thing is that DU has a migration map with posting so others can get a sense of bird movement from north to south . RGS does same for woodcock , no big secrets are revealed.

I will Let you know later on how the afternoon hunt in WILLCounty goes.

Cheers!

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby biscuitsandgravy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:55 am

BRAIDWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin:
biscuitsandgravy
hunter

Postby USMC03-07 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

Nothing crazy, but saw a few migrators and bird activity was up Monday in the Central IL area. Unfortunately the cold weather will not last and fri will bring 50 degree weather again. Dang Al Gore and his global warming!!!!!!!!!!!!
USMC03-07
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Fellas I wasn't telln any fib. Today saw one bunch at shooting time , that's it .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:59 pm

biscuitsandgravy wrote:BRAIDWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the secret?!?! C'mon quit pullin my leg. Now I have to inflate the dinghy and head to Braidwood this weekend. Matter of fact, I will send an evite to all my hunting friends North to come out.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Canme wrote:
duckaholic_16p wrote:Saw new birds all morning on the il river. Only had one group work in.

So you seen new birds as only got one group to work?

Not new birds then. More than likely just wind blown ducks. Finally not had clear nights for birds to feed all night. Wind stirred them today. I hunt everyday and birds we did kill didn't pile in like new ones. Did get reports of a couple bunches of migrators but nothing major.

Wind has died and ice had formed in the feed by noon. Hopefully the ice doesn't prevent some from stopping.

I'd be ready in South the next two days.

Yes Canme, new birds. This isnt my first year duck hunting. Just because we only had one group work doesnt mean other blinds on the state ground didnt have the same or more, but thanks for informing what i thought i saw was wrong.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:38 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:
biscuitsandgravy wrote:BRAIDWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the secret?!?! C'mon quit pullin my leg. Now I have to inflate the dinghy and head to Braidwood this weekend. Matter of fact, I will send an evite to all my hunting friends North to come out.

:lol3:

Bring sausage biscuits and let me know which field you want to meet at this year too ;)

Quick tidbit, I work in Alsip right now and the retention pond in front of my truck is still wide open and today there were the same group of 25 or so geese on it.
DBrooke
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Killer, chair blind worked great!

Hunted the afternoon and enjoyed a nice cigar.

4 years hunting this spot, never saw the ducks like today, it is a goose hunt normally . Never had a goose come by till 4pm and they were not looking at me.

Buffleheads , then some golden eyes, large common mergansers a few mallards and gadwalls. New birds? Not sure, when divers don't even give you a look, they might have had their world rocked over last few days. Gad's were the only ones that decoyed, dropped one, Morgan did an awesome water retrieve .
Attachments
image.jpg

Weedwacker
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:47 pm

DBrooke wrote: :lol3:

Bring sausage biscuits and let me know which field you want to meet at this year too ;)

Quick tidbit, I work in Alsip right now and the retention pond in front of my truck is still wide open and today there were the same group of 25 or so geese on it.

Wait...I have to cook breakfast and then bring you to my field?!?! Let me guess I get to sweat in the morning too while you stay in the pit barking orders. Sure, I am all over it. Let me know a date.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Weedwacker wrote:Killer, chair blind worked great!

Hunted the afternoon and enjoyed a nice cigar.

4 years hunting this spot, never saw the ducks like today, it is a goose hunt normally . Never had a goose come by till 4pm and they were not looking at me.

Buffleheads , then some golden eyes, large common mergansers a few mallards and gadwalls. New birds? Not sure, when divers don't even give you a look, they might have had their world rocked over last few days. Gad's were the only ones that decoyed, dropped one, Morgan did an awesome water retrieve .

Those are new ducks IMO. From what I saw yesterday the numbers alone and the behavior of working field after field they have to be new. We will never know. Doesn't matter. At least you got a Gaddie while on a nice cigar smoke. :bow:

BTW...that chair is pimp. Looks pretty sweet in the bush.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:02 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:
DBrooke wrote: :lol3:

Wait...I have to cook breakfast and then bring you to my field?!?! Let me guess I get to sweat in the morning too while you stay in the pit barking orders. Sure, I am all over it. Let me know a date.

We could just meet in that pit in Braidwood again lol

Looks as if my next day off is Sunday as of now anyway.
DBrooke
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Ha. Yea, I was going to call him soon and see how he is doing. I see his BFs are out now.

Well, hopefully you get more time off soon. It's down to the wire right now. But, work is better then no work.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby asmythe32 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Also saw new birds on the IL river today. Hunted at the club and every group of mallards would try to work our spread. Had three other blinds within calling distance so they go confused really quick. Just because you only get one group to commit doesn't mean they arent new birds. I qualify new birds as those that actually work your spread instead of flying by it and giving you the middle flipper as they laugh at you. Yes Def new birds. Dad and his group killed 14 monday and we killed 4 today. Had bad ice this morning but the ones that looked tried to work us.
asmythe32
hunter

Postby BEDB » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:36 pm

Definitely new birds in the area! Dont let anybody tell ya different. Saw nothin but mallards monday and killed limits. Didnt see any geese though. IMO not cold enough for them yet. And it wasnt even windy enough to stir up the locals on monday so that wasnt the case either
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting