Where are the birds?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Mikeguard01, Cupped-n-Committed

Re: Where are the birds?

Postby agkoh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm

TONS of geese where I was today, not that many ducks (compared to last week). Heres to hoping this last week is a good one!
Dove-23
Woodies-2
Mallards-2
Buffleheads-2
agkoh
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 pm

Made it out today. The wind was pretty strong. We planned to diver hunt so we waited til daylight to launch just to be safe because the bay was not looking forgiving. At about nine it was so rough we packed up and drove about 40 min to another spot. Were set back up about 1130. Hunted til dark. Ended up with 3 mergansers, 4 bluebills, and 2 gadwalls. We also seen two huge flocks of pintails 100+ birds each. All in all a great day. This week has a nice cold snap moving in. Should make the last week interesting
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:14 pm

No birds, but I still got a nice pair. See you next year on the water, might be a tad busy for a while.

Ohio
Attachments
image.jpg
ohioboy
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Congrats ohio
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:40 pm

Congrats Ohio. I had a little girl in early January. :thumbsup:
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:10 am

Congrats OB! :thumbsup: So is it Abby and Beth? Ann and Britney? :huh: Enjoy it, next thing you know it's boys and tuition. :no:
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Riley and Brynn
ohioboy
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 pm

Congrats OB. We were out yesterday diver hunting as well and the bay definitely was sketchy. We picked up at 10 and came back in to trade shotguns for 12ozers and oysters and sat on the dock watching ducks fly around. Got 1 buffie, 1 bluebill, and a merganator. Going out in the morning in a new spot for divers and then brant hunting in the afternoon. Looks like temps next week are going to be brisk
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby zeeman » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:44 pm

Congrats Ohioboy :clapping:
2014-2015
5 woodys
1rudy
15 gadwall
39mallards
1 wigeon
zeeman
hunter

Postby gaggleman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:12 am

Congrats Brother. That's what i am calling 2 in one shot. Never actually seen it done, but herad alot of stories about it. :clapping:
gaggleman
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:28 am

Full choke? :lol3:

In all seriousness, thank you. Baby B (Brynn) still in the NICU. She should be out soon. Looks like all those early mornings in the blind will do me good now.
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Md Hunter » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 am

Congrats Ohio! (I'm surprised you didn't name them Riley and Violet! Get it?! OK, maybe it isn't that funny...)
Md Hunter
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am

I get it.

I actually got married on top of violettes lock and the male wedding party came in via duck boat launched from Riley's. and I proposed to her just upstream from pennyfield. There is another girls name. Maybe we should try for two more? :fingerpt:
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Md Hunter wrote:Congrats Ohio! (I'm surprised you didn't name them Riley and Violet! Get it?! OK, maybe it isn't that funny...)

HAHA.. I literally laughed out loud!
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 am

We were a little slow over the weekend on the Eastern shore. Shot a couple blue bill, buffies, and mergs. Hit but did not kill a nice fat black duck Monday morning before heading north for brant. We shot 5 brant Monday afternoon on my first ever brant hunt before heading back home to our side of the bay. They are about as dumb as I was told they would be, came in on a string to 8 custom made floaters and 6 silos that looked like they were made by kindergardeners. It was fun though and I plan to do it again, they are neat looking birds. We saw a massive flock of what im pretty sure were teal Monday morning, maybe 4 or 500 going into an impoundment. Had a flock of maybe a dozen snows try lighting into the decoys 5 min after LST. Everyone was scrambling for their guns, I was loaded for ducks and thought they were Canadas so I was lightly calling to them while everyone tried to get their guns out. As soon as they saw everyone scrambling around, I heard a squeaky honk and they flared. Drew some feathers but choked on my first opportunity on snows of this season. Saw a few thousand more fly around us throughout the morning which was cool since we dont get to see that in the RP zone. Couple buffies and old squaw out there but not as many puddlers as we thought we would see. Hoping to find something cool for the last day of duck, so far it looks like mallards and a few geese is the best I can find. We will see what the freeze up brings us. I wonder if the river will get slushy with these temps. Anyone been out there scouting yet since yesterday? Im heading down there this evening to scout around for birds but just wondered if there was ice out there yet
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Postby Jfk1700 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 am

Trying to get out Saturday. Anyone headed out on the Upper Pmac?
Jfk1700
hunter

Postby The Butcher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Headed to a creek swamp this morning down rt 50 and everything is locking up, including my creek. from what I hear if you have water you'll have birds. Going to try a bigger water spot tomorrow.
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:09 pm

I would be out on the river but my boat is in dry dock for the time being. (Trailer issues) Parts won't be here till next week at least. :crying:
Anybody need an accomplice? :hi:

GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby agkoh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:23 pm

Grey dog, that SUCKS!
Dove-23
Woodies-2
Mallards-2
Buffleheads-2
agkoh
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:37 pm

It certainly does that. Just when the temps drop too. I will have visions of birds everywhere on the river, the ponds at work almost locked up today. The geese were huddled at the edge. Sure that they will be gone by tomorrow.

I'll just have to get her ready for Spring Rockfish.

GD

Grey Dog
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Grey Dog wrote:It certainly does that. Just when the temps drop too. I will have visions of birds everywhere on the river, the ponds at work almost locked up today. The geese were huddled at the edge. Sure that they will be gone by tomorrow.

I'll just have to get her ready for Spring Rockfish.

GD

I am betting the river will be hot IF it stays open. Buzz, you are on the right track. It should be flowing ice tonight, then lock up tomorrow. Potomac Water temp is 35 now. North wind tonight will push slush to south side of all waterways still open.

Be safe everyone. No duck is worth your life. And if you miss one that is really close, that is my spirit there with you. :wink:

Ohio
ohioboy
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:29 pm

I will be out on Saturday morning. Send me a pm if you want to join up. I live in Washington County.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby The Butcher » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:24 pm

I'll be down at one of my blinds in either Trappe or Cambridge looking for water tomorrow afternoon if anyone is interested. I'm pretty sure Cambridge will have water, 50/50 on Trappe. Leaving AACO at 12:00
Terp Nut
The Butcher
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 am

I'm hunting a good sized farm tomorrow. They have a huge pond that holds geese, but it's just about locked up. So my sure thing hunt is now a crap shoot. I'm hoping they come back to the farm from wherever they roost tonight to feed. Good luck to you guys hunting the Potomac. Be careful.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby barrelburner » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 pm

Hey skeet123 I am up in Washinton county too. I hunt quite a bit on the upper potomac. Going to try and get out saturday too. What general area you possibly headed out too? Hopefully tommorow, friday that is I will get a little scouting in and check the water conditions for level and ice. :biggrin: :grooving:
barrelburner
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting