beavertail final attack layout hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

beavertail final attack layout hunting

Postby ky lake mud pie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:02 pm

Ordered a final attack should be here in the next couple of days. I hunt Ky Lake i won't be in really deep water. I have never layout hunted before. Any tips would be appreciated. I was also wondering if i should by the blind for it or just paint the boat a different color if if the color would work the lake I hunt is pretty brown. I know traditional layouts are grey any advice is appreciated thanks.
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Re: beavertail final attack layout hunting

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:34 am

I have one, and it does ok. Just keep an eye on the weather since it is not as stable as a true layout. The stern is square, and in any kind of chop the waves will go right over the back. It came in some kind of a brown color, but I painted mine battleship gray. The floor is kind of flimsy too. Probably will split or crack over time. Not a good idea to stand in it or haul a lot of gear while on land. Kills ducks though! :thumbsup:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:19 pm

I didn't think that these were supposed to be hunted in like true layout boats. You might want to play it safe and test it out as much as possible before you take it in big water. I thought these were made to throw in the toolies or reeds.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby ky lake mud pie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:19 pm

They are not a true layout boat. More for marsh hunting. The place i hunt is a flat on a man made reservoir its only about knee deep so not to crazy dangerous and the only time it gets really choppy is when there is a large front moving in. Other than that pretty calm. I think that this will actually work nice on the lake no one layout hunt on this lake everyone hunts from the shore. I think the ducks won't know what to do. I plan on making some sort of spray shield on the back of the boat actually. I was wondering if the lake is muddy if the brown would be better suited or should i paint the boat grey. I am pretty sure this boat will work great for the area that I plan on hunting. One day i do plan on buying a better layout boat, but everyone i called was on backorder and couldn't get me one till the end of season. At least this will give me a way to try it out this year. I think for the price it's a sweet little rig.
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting