Small decoy setup help

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Small decoy setup help

Postby Yam45 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:04 am

I will be goose hunting on a small river peninsula. Carrying 6 floaters and 6 alpha wobblers for deke spread. Will setting out some duck decoys interspersed help? Ive had good early season success on this spot and always have a lot of low flyers traveling this corridor. Looking to sweeten the spread a little.
Yam45
hunter

Re: Small decoy setup help

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 pm

If you are targeting geese, no. Geese do not like to fly over ducks to land. On the other hand, ducks have no problem landing on top of geese.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby Yam45 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanx sidebysides, good advice. Less to carry also
Yam45
hunter

Postby coruptone » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:19 am

I had went out the other day and ran a small spread for geese . 7 floaters, 6 shells with sleeper heads, and 6 silos. Setting my ground blind 8 ft from the water on a mud flat. i set some silos on the down wind side and in front of my blind and the shells on the up wind side. The first set that came in set down about 400 yards from me. Thinking that this was going to be a so, so hunt i took a little nap. Hearing ducks landing all around me i continued to snooze in till i herd a cluck. The geese that had landed way out on the water had swam up into my spread. I did this twice until i had my limit. I just let the other birds do the work for me. :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum