New to Duck Hunting and need help

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

New to Duck Hunting and need help

Postby Newtothehunt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 am

Hey guys, not only am I new to the thread but I'm new to duck hunting. I live in the Paulding/Cobb area and want to start going out. I've heard there are some ducks on Lanier and was curious if there are any on Allatoona or up near Rome??? I've been training my lab and he is ready to retrieve his first duck. A month ago we took him on a field hunt for quail and he did great. I'd be willing to go out with a veteran hunter to learn the ropes or don't mind being pointed in the right direction to shoot alone. Looking for spots in North Ga and West near Carrollton. I look forward to the responses!
Newtothehunt
Newb

Re: New to Duck Hunting and need help

Postby southernducker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:13 am

Welcome to hunting and to the forum! It's going to be tough to get a whole lot of specific help on certain spots unless you just run into someone feeling extra generous. My advice would be to download either google earth or flash earth onto your computer and start looking at arial photos of areas you've heard ducks tend to hang around or places you'd like to hunt. Of course you arent going to see ducks in these photos, but you'll we'll be able to find creek mouths, coves, pockets, sloughs etc. where birds are usually drawn to and then all you have to do is put some miles on your truck and boots. When I'm hunting a new area I'll find 4 or 5 places and spend an afternoon scouting those areas. Get out there early when the ducks will be flying and watch from a distance with some binos. As it gets later in the day and you're working down in your list of areas to scout, look for birds closer to the bank or if there aren't birds, look for pick feathers on the water and water's edge. If you're going to hunt the river I'd suggest scouting areas with tight turns where the river gets narrow because as the birds fly up and down the river this will be the best place to pass shoot birds, just make sure you have a way of getting any downed birds. I know this is a broad answer, but as you duck hunt more you'll see how hard it is to find really good concentrations of birds in the southeast and how you will also tend to stay tight lipped about your honey holes. Good luck and I hope this helps! Keep us posted! :beer:
southernducker
hunter

Postby Newtothehunt » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:14 am

Has anyone seen ducks or hunt Allatoona?
Newtothehunt
Newb

Postby jaker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:00 pm

Newtothehunt wrote:Has anyone seen ducks or hunt Allatoona?

nope, why don't you go burn gas like the rest of us, and find out? Why would anyone want to tell you and the rest of the www where we are seeing ducks at, when it costs us a whole lot of gas money and time to find them in the first place? You got some good advice in the post before this, now get out there, use that advice, and learn the right way.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby BigSwole » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey n2th,

You will get no where asking for advice on where to go. Look at the regs for altoona and they will tell you how far from docks structure and everything else you have to be. Make aure you have the correct stamps.and licenses

Gohuntgeorgia.com

2nd. Get in the boat the first morning you can. Early. Before 645 am.

Look for ducks, watch for them and see where they go. Watch where they land. Go look for more ducks. Come back the next morning and sit where you saw the ducks go. Shoot mentioned ducks. Never tell anyone where you shot the duck.
Reply with, shot em in the face. If the ask where you went. You tell them you went to the lake. If they ask where at in the lake kick em in the face and run becuase they are trying to take your spot. Welcome to dhc!

Google maps is a good start. Then spend a morning watching for ducks
BigSwole
hunter

Postby Newtothehunt » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Hey guys thanks for the responses. Sorry if it came off like I was looking for an easy shoot with our doing the homework. I wasn't asking for spots, I was just curious if anyone has seen ducks on Allatoona that don't hangout near the docks. With that said in going to do some scouting on Allatoona this weekend early in the morning and will be doing the same at a few swamps I know of farther north. I have also called the Corps to find out their shooting specifics and regulations. That said I'm ready to put some time in with the dog scouting to find my own hole.
Newtothehunt
Newb

Postby millertimeUSMC » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Newtothehunt wrote:Has anyone seen ducks or hunt Allatoona?

I had some luck at Allatoona just gotta drive around and find out exactly where at.
I was towards the N part of the lake.
USMC OEF VET 09-13
Board Member/Director of Community Outreach
The Warfighter Foundation
warfighterfoundation.org
millertimeUSMC
hunter

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting