SX3 Issue...Need HELP

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

SX3 Issue...Need HELP

Postby remingtonarms38 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 am

Hey guys I'm looking for some insight. So I purschaes my SX3 here this Aug and it has been a great gun until recently. I shot prolly around 1000 trap loads with the gun without a hickup. I have shot multiple boxes of 3' shells as well with no problems. The problem now is that I have switched to 3 1/2' shells for geese and pass shooting ducks since I river hunt a lot. The problem I have is that when I put two 3 1/2 shells in the mag tube they do not always cycle. My gun will shoot the first shell and then it will reset the the bolt, I go to shoot my second shot and only a click (shell never dropped out of mag tube). I have checked my feed latch and it seems to be in propper working order. I am confused what is the issue. It seems like there is almost too much pressure on feed latch with two 3 1/2's in mag tube. For the record I can put one 3' shell and one 3 1/2' shell in mag tube and it always cycles (which is leading me to believe it is the amount of pressure on the feed latch that isn't allowing it to collapse all the way to the side of the receiver). And yes my bolt is coming all the way back and receting the trigger because every time it happens I can hear the firing pin click once the action closes again. Any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks guys
remingtonarms38
hunter

Re: SX3 Issue...Need HELP

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Have you removed the spring and plunger for an inspection of the inside of the tube? I had a similar issue with my Silver once and it turned out to be a rough spot (rust) that was causing the plunger to hang up for a split second. I think all of the SX3's use an aluminum tube so rust shouldn't be an issue but its worth a quick look. I did do a quick de-horn on the edge of my shell catch because it was hanging up on the headstamp of one brand of shells. Now I do it to all of my pumps and autos just as a preventive measure.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 am

Cleaned it all out. And I mean strip it down the try it and if that doesn't work take it in. Everyone on here is gonna say their gun doesn't stick but everybody's auto sticks up a couple times a year. If people say theirs doesn't they are lying or don't hunt past opening weekend. Good luck!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Look inside your piston. Is the spring intact or broken?
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:24 am

sounds like it is cycling fine and ejecting the spent shell but not releasing the shell from the magazine to the Carrier? If this is correct you might try as mentioned above about the magazine tube. BUT I have seen this same issue caused by the trigger assembly. Try removing it and giving it a complete cleaning. Wash it out with non-clorinated brake cleaner or HOT soapy water and then (after drying it completely) lightly oil it and try again.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jeepman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 am

remingtonarms38 wrote:The problem I have is that when I put two 3 1/2 shells in the mag tube they do not always cycle. My gun will shoot the first shell and then it will reset the the bolt, I go to shoot my second shot and only a click (shell never dropped out of mag tube

So the only shot that fires is the one you breech load? 31/2's are a long shell to cycle. sometimes the shell plug is a little too long and pushes them out of the mag tube or causes them to hang up. try taking the plug out and see if it will cycle. if it does you know where the problem is i had a buddy with that problem. his gun just didn't like 3 1/2s. the onlything with messing with the plug is that you might not be able to interchange shell sizes.
jeepman
hunter

Postby remingtonarms38 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Well guys I removed the stock spring clean everything real good and still every once in awhile ill have the issue where shells wont drop out of mag tub. Do you guys ever round off the corner of your feed latch? I've heard of a few guys who do this. Another thing to note is that I mainly shoot federal 3 1/2 shells, I compared them to my buddies Kent 3 1/2 and federals are probably another 1/8 of an inch longer for some reason. Maybe that extra length is the problem not sure. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Also how is your guys experience with Winchester/Browning's customer service for matters like this? Thanks guys
remingtonarms38
hunter

Postby orphanedcowboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:07 am

Pull the shell stop and clean out the crap behind it. The longer shell stays parallel to the tube longer, a dirty shell stop will prevent the longer shells from cycling, but any short shell works fine.

How many different 3 1/2" shells have you tried? Winchester's gives my 935 turkey gun fits, everything else fine.
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 am

I had a lot of issues with federals hanging up in a browning gold so I stopped using them in that gun. I also had the same issue in a Winchester X2 that I had. Could be the slight difference in shell length causes the problem but I would have to see it in the shot to determine that. As long as you are cleaning it good and blowing it out with compressed air to get into all the little nooks you should be fine.

shell length.JPG

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterrat2 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:56 am

Sounds like solid advice all the way round. But from reading it a few times, it appears to be a mag tube problem/follower issue rather than a recoil spring. Bear in mind that two 3 1/2 shells are 7 inches. There is no issue with 2 3/4 or 3" and/or a combo of either and a 3 1/2. The failure starts with two 3 1/2 inch stuff. I would bet that the mag spring is either hanging up on the plug or a burr in the tube. The burr/ding is just at the 6 1/2 inch mark in the tube, or the spring is too compressed.

I am running a bunch or pumps and semi's, and have had to frig with the mag spring once or twice. May be worth investigating.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby remingtonarms38 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks guys for al the advice, I'm going to have to look at the mag spring and possibly invest in some different brand o shells. Maybe see what kind of patterns I get with Kents.
remingtonarms38
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:07 pm

if it helps mine cycles Remington sportmans like a champ also winchesters.i read the federal black cloud 3-1/2inch run a tad longer and that caused cycling problems so i would assume it would be the same for their line of 3-1/2inch shells.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:21 am

Kents patterned great in all of my gun and choke combinations. I am waiting for the weather to get over 30 for a couple of days so I can pattern some new Kent Silver steel. :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum