Hunting fence line because field is tilled

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:04 pm

The ducks usually are flying right by the fence row and we think we stick out too much in the middle of the field. So we will try the fence line.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355249061.063177.jpg

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:40 pm

Bump

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Re: Hunting fence line because field is tilled

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am

Is there a question in there somewhere?

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 am

run more deeks around your blinds to break them up, and dig your blinds in if the farmer allows. Hunt a cross wind so the birds have a slightly less chances of looking right at you while they work

Fence rows have never really produced for us. They always seem to land short.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:57 pm

koonce727 wrote:run more deeks around your blinds to break them up, and dig your blinds in if the farmer allows. Hunt a cross wind so the birds have a slightly less chances of looking right at you while they work

Fence rows have never really produced for us. They always seem to land short.

X 2 on all of this, ducks tend to be wary of fence lines especially later in the season.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:25 pm

I don't know, we landed 2 groups of about 50 yesterday evening over just a small spread, no layout blinds just hiding in brush and we almost killed our limit on mallards. We let the group of 30 just sit there for a couple minutes and then shot them after the next group after that landed in our decoys.
luie b
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:37 am

luie b wrote:I don't know, we landed 2 groups of about 50 yesterday evening over just a small spread, no layout blinds just hiding in brush and we almost killed our limit on mallards. We let the group of 30 just sit there for a couple minutes and then shot them after the next group after that landed in our decoys.

Each area and situation are different. The less pressure the birds get the better chance you have of getting them on a fence row. Up here every swinging **** hunts, lots of guys pass shoot brush lines and fence rows as they are to lazy to set up deeks, so our birds are smart and avoid tight fields and areas.
koonce727
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:54 pm

To me with hunting any type of bird your hide is the most important. If it takes getting in the edges to be hidden then that what I would do.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:To me with hunting any type of bird your hide is the most important. If it takes getting in the edges to be hidden then that what I would do.

disagree with that statement. After loaction comes the hide. Just because you are in the same field as the birds does not mean your where they want to be. The x is the x, not 75 yards away, then your just trying to traffic them to where they dont want to be.

If the birds on using the fence row. Feeding within 50yards of it, then I would try it. But from what your saying they are just flying the fence row. If you dont care to decoy birds just pass shoot em.

Howd the hunt work for ya?? You opt for the fence?
koonce727
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 pm

koonce727 wrote:
Tipsntails7 wrote:To me with hunting any type of bird your hide is the most important. If it takes getting in the edges to be hidden then that what I would do.

disagree with that statement. After loaction comes the hide. Just because you are in the same field as the birds does not mean your where they want to be. The x is the x, not 75 yards away, then your just trying to traffic them to where they dont want to be.

If the birds on using the fence row. Feeding within 50yards of it, then I would try it. But from what your saying they are just flying the fence row. If you dont care to decoy birds just pass shoot em.

Howd the hunt work for ya?? You opt for the fence?

I'll take 100 yards of the x and great cover anyday. Especially if they fly right over you to the x. It's very easy to convince ducks that this is the new happening spot. Especially if they have been in the field a few days, the middle is pretty well eaten out by that time. You can be on the x all you want if ducks are flaring of your terrible hide then what does it matter. Now if you were not between them and the x it would be different.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting