starting a honker spread

Compare goose decoys, goose setups and ideas and everything that goes with the sport of decoying geese

Moderators: MM, yellowlab, 1ynggun

starting a honker spread

Postby hobbsj » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

I've been taking my one goose floater out with me on my duck hunts, but have been seeing more geese lately than ducks. Plus there's an early goose season here so I figure I should work on building up a goose spread. I mostly hunt ponds but figure I might start looking in to fields. What's the best way to start building a spread? I see the shells out there for a lot less than a full body decoys. Is there an advantage to the full body? Any help is appreciated.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Re: starting a honker spread

Postby jeepman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:48 pm

Full bodies are expensive and bulky, but i think they look the best in a field. shells work good as fillers on the outside of the spread but i wouldn't just use those. you can, and some people do, but i wouldn't personally. also silhoettes work great as well, but i feel the same goes as the shells. the party i hunt with runs about 35 or 40 full bodies and the rest is real geese silhoettes. i have 18 fullbodies and a dozon floaters that i flocked this past summer and used twice. i am new as well to field hunting and getting started is the most expensive time. there are alot of great products out there and some are more effective than others but.... hunting with what you have or what you can afford is better than not hunting at all. so start out with what you can get and improve from there. :thumbsup:
jeepman
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 am

Full body decoys is the best way to get geese feet down. Space would be the only reason to hunt any thing else.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

starting a honker spread

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 am

Get more goose floaters if you only have one....

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:28 am

x
Last edited by goodkarmarising on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

starting a honker spread

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:01 am

Still you need more than one. If money isn't a problem pick up 4 Dakota floaters.

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:22 am

Guess I should have added that money is the issue here. Hmmm. But I'll start looking for on sale floaters and see if I can pick up some shells just to be able to have something more than one lonely goose.

Thanks.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Make yourself some silhouettes. Then build some v boards and you can field or water hunt with them.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:11 pm

I wouldn't despair with just one lonely floater, but two work really great in the late season, when the geese start to pair up. Ive shot a fair number of geese using just two floaters, as long as you get them where they can see them. Even snow geese can be coaxed to small spreads if you're seeing small flocks and pairs late in the season. Also look into some kind of stakes that can prop your floaters up in the field, so you can use them in both and save buying more shells or full bodies.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Return to Goose Decoy Forum