Big Foot Flocked Heads?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Big Foot Flocked Heads?

Postby elwoodUT » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:15 am

I just bought 2 dozen Big Foots for $250 so I couldn't pass it up. However they do not have flocked heads. How important does everyone really think it is for them to be flocked?
I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work.

Thomas Edison
elwoodUT
hunter

Big Foot Flocked Heads?

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:02 am

It depends if those are just going to be fillers

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Re: Big Foot Flocked Heads?

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 am

As long as the heads are still nice and black, it won't matter one little bit. As far as just using them for fillers if they aren't flocked? :no: Run em and kill birds. The good thing is, you should be able to get new flocked heads (or flock the yourself) so you won't have to use them as fillers. Again... :no:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Big Foot Flocked Heads?

Postby xtrema13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:58 am

Well if you already have 4 dozen with flocked heads you could make it look even better adding those.....

Sent from my Super Mag
xtrema13
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:32 am

I would flock their heads. Geese are smarter than ever and one thing wrong and their gone. One less reason for the geese to not come in.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby noweil » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:34 pm

On the water I run 2 different spreads of floaters. Always from the same blind. One spread is Big Foot flocked head floaters. I would run them all the time except we have strong currents at this spot. If we get rain the water only comes up a little but the velocity increases greatly. The geese may not be sitting on the river anymore but they are on the wetlands off the river and fly the river all the time. When the velocity is flowing fast I can not run my Big Foots. We have experimented with lots of different brands and styles of decoys and ways to rig them that will work in the current. My current rig is not flocked and the paint is not what I think looks good. The geese still dump into these decoys with no hesitstion. I believe location is much more important than flocking. I also have a field spread of unflocked shells that I use when I hike in. I use it in the early season mostly but it kills plenty of early season geese. On the ice in late season I turn the unflocked feeder heads around like sleepers and the geese come into them on a wire.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:51 pm

Just buy some flocking and put your mind at rest. It is very easy to do. The flocking I use is from:

http://www.fowlflocker.com/Goose_Flocking_Kits.php

I did all my tails over the summer and fixed some of my heads that were in rough shape. I think the flocking is important because the black paint can cause a glare from the sun. The flocking stops it from glaring. I would not hunt over dekes that did not have flocking after seeing the difference of the flocked tails. My thought is why leave anything to chance that is so easy to fix? The flocking is such an easy fix...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum