Moist Soil Plants

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Moist Soil Plants

Postby Teamjefe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi,

To start things off I just wanted to say hello. I've been a lurker on this forum for a while and finally registered.

For my first post I had a question about managing wetlands for moist soil plants. I have 4 impoundments that were built two years ago. We have an ok amount of ducks but our neighbors do moist soil management and have tons more. Does anyone on here have advice on how to manage these wetlands? I am located in Southeast Texas on the prairie. I have water control structures in place and rice wells to pump up the ponds. I know you can do a lot by just having controlled draw downs of the water I just do not know what schedule I should get on. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Teamjefe
Newb

Re: Moist Soil Plants

Postby JaMak » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:08 pm

Can't post a link from my phone, but google "wetland management for waterfowl handbook" print off a copy and get started. It'll give you the basics of plant ID and management techniques, but you need to be patient and figure out what schedule works best for that particular property. Every site is different and MSM is as much art as science.
JaMak
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology