Bringing out a new hunter?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Bringing out a new hunter?

Postby rosscoef86 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Well my weekend of private ranch goosapalooza got cancelled, kinda bummed. But on a good note, a buddy of mine who always said no to hunting finally agreed to go and we will be taking his son too (12) first duck hunt.!! :beer:

Yup gonna be introducing some new blood to the sport. The only problem is that they really want to go to suavies cause they live in portland. I have never hunted it I don't know anyone who has but I really wanna show these guys a good time.. :grooving:

I am looking for some help on how to do it. My buddies kid is tough as nails so he probably wont mind hiking a little but I just need some help on where to go.. when to get there that kind of stuff.. never hunted a refuge before so its a little strange..but i think it will be good for these two to see how it can be..

:bow: Thanks for all the help guys, I hope it pays off, any info on the subject would be great.
rosscoef86
hunter

Re: Bringing out a new hunter?

Postby Jim Atlas » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Sauvie is pretty simple really.
You should be out there an hour and a half before shooting hours.
On the west side it's luck of the draw--with three of you in line you might stand a good chance.
On the east side it's first come first served. On a weekend, it'll be quite a line most likely.
Either way, just ask the folks at the check station. They'll point you the right way.

There are a lot of folks out there--but there are also a lot of birds. You can expect to see some birds (most days), but don't expect to be alone... You'll be working some ducks, and the feller on the other end of the pond will take a shot at some other ducks and scare yours off. Doesn't always happen, but enough. But if you go there with the right mindset, it can be a lot of fun. Just think of it as a chance to work on your pass shooting skills.
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby rosscoef86 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 pm

sounds good... thanks alot.. what about the northside is that even worth the walks it looks good but i dont know, never been so it will all be in the dark scouting ha
rosscoef86
hunter

Postby sako2019 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 pm

I just hunted sauvies 3 days in a row. I am a new hunter but here is some info. West side like the other guy said is draw so bet of luck. There was lots of water so some blinds in the water or too deep to set up by wading. Go early and talk to the ODFW guy before the draw to get info on blinds. Also if you have one bring a boat a kayak would be adequate. The north side is a long hike with lots of water. Boat highly recommended.
sako2019
Newb

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 am

My advice would be for you to skip the north unit for a first time, in the dark adventure. In this high water and the fact that you have never been there before, you are asking for trouble. You probably want to check the north unit out in daylight the first time you go there.
The westside or eastside are better suited for a first time experience because you have the check in shacks that are manned by ODFW personnel that can answer questions and sometimes offer suggestions or options.
Last I knew, because of the high water, they were requiring guys to have a boat for many of the westside spots.That doesn't mean don't go but, you may not be able to hit some of the more popular blind sites. You have to be in line by 1 1/2hrs before LST or you will not get the chance to draw a chip(westside). If, for some reason, you are late you can still go to the shack after everyone that has drawn and pick from anything that is left or get your name on the waiting list but, it's gonna be slim pickins or you will be a ways down the waiuting list. They also keep waiting list on the eastside.
On the eastside you just have to get in the non-res line and wait your turn. There haven't been any new birds for awhile so you may have to chalk your first trip up to being a learning experience and, you'll know better next time about the system and the layout of the different areas.
Good luck
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby BEAVERNATION » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 am

Took my son out for his first duck hunt to SI last week. We went on a weekday at got into the non-res line at 4:45, we were about in the middle about 10 cars back. Drew a decent blind and had some fun with the kid but ducks were really not moving that day. If I were you I would just get there early and anticipate this first day as a learning experience to see how the system works. Looks like the weather is changing and that could push some birds around in the next week. Good luck!
BEAVERNATION
Newb

Postby rosscoef86 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for all the info guys.. I appreciate all the help... I know this might piss some people off but I think we are going to camp there tonight.. I have always had good memories from when my dad and I did that over in eastern oregon.. So we should be okay i think..... Thanks for all the help guys.. and if any of you are hunting there tomorrow good luck.. hope the birds are movin.
rosscoef86
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting