Steel shot for coyote?

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

Steel shot for coyote?

Postby Bernie P. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 am

This seems like one of the best places to ask about this.Has anyone tried using the larger 12g steel shot loads like BBB,T,TT?The energy levels compare/surpass closely to lead BB loads.
Bernie P.
hunter

Re: Steel shot for coyote?

Postby duckaholic_16p » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 pm

I have killed one @ 20yrds with 3.5 BBB. It wasnt planned but it worked.
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby Duplex lover » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:38 am

Bernie P. wrote:This seems like one of the best places to ask about this.Has anyone tried using the larger 12g steel shot loads like BBB,T,TT?The energy levels compare/surpass closely to lead BB loads.

Doesn't work...
Can't get the big stuff to go though there hair.
If you have to use non-tox got to dead coyote , they have BB and bigger IT will go through.
JUST SAYING!
The last best place.
Duplex lover
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:48 am

I can and often use Federal's 3" copper plated lead BB load or some #4 buckshot loads.I was just curious as to how the large steel might work out.Hevi shot is great but I'm not willing to pay that much until some government idiot's pass legislature forcing me to abandon lead.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby mysticwolf » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 pm

I personally would not use steel shot , lead hits much harder and farther, But I dont use a shotgun for coyotes, I use a AR-15 shooting a 55 gr. bullet, they dont get close enough to me to use a shotgun :biggrin:
Love to watch um back peddel when the blind opens up
mysticwolf
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:28 pm

It does work, I killed one with 3.5" #3 steel shot. However, why would you want to use something as weak as steel when you could use lead?
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:39 am

One time duck hunting we dropped a bird in a cannal...the cannal was to deep to wade threw it so we were using sticks to paw the bird out just as soon i get the bird and stand up and look down the levee here comes a coyote running down the road at me! now remember theres water on both sides of the road...but anyway the coyote was about 5 feet from me and i shot a hole threw his side with 3 inch blackcloud #4's! works great! :hammer: :lol: but as far as hunting them with a shotgun i use 3 1/2 00 buckshot on them (lead). stuff works well
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 am

rebelp74 wrote:It does work, I killed one with 3.5" #3 steel shot. However, why would you want to use something as weak as steel when you could use lead?

If I can get the job done at a lower cost so much the better.
mendo I bet it do!I have a box of Feds 3.5" OO buck but haven't tried them yet :beer: .
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby Norsky » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:38 pm

I shot one at 54 yards with BBB going 1350fps. With Toastys program it had and Energy Density of 235 at 53 yards. The coyote dropped stone dead. I would look at BBB or bigger. With the 12 gauge you may have a hard time getting the bigger steel to pattern for you. Can you load your own shells?
Norsky
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:59 am

Norsky ,yes I have an old MEC Sizemaster.I should be able to get the larger steel to shoot fairly well.I have a pretty good selection of chokes on hand.-
Mbergs Imp,Mod and Full all Accumags
Kicks High Flyers in Mod,Full and Xfull.
Of these I think only the F Accumag at .730 and maybe the XF .748 might be a little to tight with such large steel.
I figured on trying a few steel factory loads first just to be sure they would penetrate/patter well around 40-50yds before buying the components for loading.Most all I have left on hand now is for lead shot.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:18 am

Bernie,
I think its a bad idea.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby woodysniper » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:31 pm

I would just go and buy some #4 buck if I were you. I've killed and seen a lot of coyotes killed with shotguns and I would say that lead F's would be a minimum for size. Killed a few with BB's but it just doesn't have the penetration or range to consistently kill them, not to mention it makes them look like swiss cheese. My personal favorites for my handloads are 24 pellots of #3 buck in the 12 guage and 18 pellets of 0 in the 10 guage.
Remember to spay and nueter your democrats.
woodysniper
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:21 am

I think I'll try steel T just to see how they shoot.Even if they fail the pattern/penatration test I can use them up on geese.Thank's for all the replies!
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:49 am

Try them how? To pattern?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Bernie P. » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:12 am

I figure I'll start at my usual 40 yds for both pattern and penetration.I've already done a fair amount of patterning with lead BB,4 buck and OO buck.I've killed a fair number of coyotes with the BB and 4 buck.Never shot anything with the OO buck but the patterns show they'll surely kill any coyote within 45yds but likely ruin the pelts on closer shots.Next I'll compare how steel T penetrates vs the lead BB loads in scrap plywood.That's all I'm really hoping for.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:03 am

I've shot one in the neck at 10 yards with 2 3/4 #2 experts. It dropped then jumped back up so I shot it again in the neck/head. Stood there and watched it for ten minutes waiting for its chest to stop moving. Was out of shells. Walked a mile back to the house and got the .17, walked back and it was still alive. Put one through his lungs and he died.

Shot one in the face at 10 yards with #5 lead while turkey hunting. Dropped on the spot but he raised his head up when I walked up on me and kinda scared me, put another one in him.

I'd say go with 00 buck or #4 Buck. With those and a good choke you can probably shoot a good distance.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:57 am

How about a 10ga with a 3.5" 1 3/4oz slug?
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum