I Know how, but not when.

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

I Know how, but not when.

Postby deepmarsh1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:15 am

So I've gotten pretty good with my goose call. I know everybody hates Foiles, but the smh sounds awesome. I just don't know which calls to use when. Mostly what I'm after is which call to use when geese have no intent on coming in or when they are leaving so what is best for a comeback type call or attention getter when they are way up there.
chris_k wrote:An expensive acrylic Duck Commander call is like a 1981 Buick Lesabre with a fancy paintjob and 22 inch rims. $ spent on the exterior ... Nothing to show for under the hood.
deepmarsh1
hunter

Re: I Know how, but not when.

Postby tripleb » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:52 am

If you haven't got it already, buy a copy of the Bad Grammer DVD. That's a good place to start. And, listen to the calling on a variety of commercially produced goose hunting videos, ones where the background music doesn't drown out the calling. The notes used when calling for hunting are actually pretty simple to execute. Getting the timing of it down comes with experience and watching how the birds react to your calling.Watching the birds react, or not react, is probably the best teacher.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:54 am

The best tip i have for you is to call to one bird, not the entire group. lock in on that bird and keep blowing what it responds to. if you can get him to land, here come the rest of them.
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:08 am

Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:The best tip i have for you is to call to one bird, not the entire group. lock in on that bird and keep blowing what it responds to. if you can get him to land, here come the rest of them.

More than a little late, but spot on, geese or ducks. Find a bird that winks or blinks at the call and focus on working that one bird.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 am

It takes time. We all have made plenty of mistakes. Reading all of this helps but spending time hunting will be the most benificial. Obviously since you cant hunt now the best thing to do is practice more.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Oklahoma Greenhead wrote:The best tip i have for you is to call to one bird, not the entire group. lock in on that bird and keep blowing what it responds to. if you can get him to land, here come the rest of them.

More than a little late, but spot on, geese or ducks. Find a bird that winks or blinks at the call and focus on working that one bird.

Just remember that if its not a 100% uniaminous vote, they won't come..... Most of the time. I've had flocks of 50 geese working my spread and on the last pass one of the bottom geese drops down and lands but the rest kept on flying.

High pitched and fast will get the birds attention
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 am

I've had guys tell me different things about talking a flock into coming back but what has worked best for me is a spit note with a elongated moan on the back end. Quick spits are also good notes for getting geese worked up when there skirting your decoys and won't lock up for you. Ill throw a couple in when them geese are being uncooperative it Seems to get them excited to land in the decoys. I've had good luck with both of these notes and turned many flocks around using them. Check out YouTube to learn the spit note/quick spit if you don't already know how to blow it. Pm me if you need any help.

-Tyler
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:47 pm

ducksNgeese91 wrote:I've had guys tell me different things about talking a flock into coming back but what has worked best for me is a spit note with a elongated moan on the back end. Quick spits are also good notes for getting geese worked up when there skirting your decoys and won't lock up for you. Ill throw a couple in when them geese are being uncooperative it Seems to get them excited to land in the decoys. I've had good luck with both of these notes and turned many flocks around using them. Check out YouTube to learn the spit note/quick spit if you don't already know how to blow it. Pm me if you need any help.

-Tyler

i concur with what he said. Throw a hiccup in with it if the spit/moan doesn't do the trick. Ive have good results that way.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby TheQuackThatKillz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:43 pm

I would say the spit note or rapid moan for a good come back call
TheQuackThatKillz
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum