What do you guys think??

Chat about Arizona duck hunting and share useful tips for duck hunting in Arizona.

Moderator: LaRedneck

What do you guys think??

Postby FEETDOWN18 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:39 pm

I was just thinking to my self what if we could get du to do something about picacho reservoir it seems to be really good duck habitat when the water level is right and would house tons of birds not to mention the permanent blinds that are on it I think us as Arizona citizens should do something about it other than just let it sit there and many people wasting there time going out there in hopes of finding water. So what do you guys think should a group of us get together and see If there can be something done to this place???
FEETDOWN18
hunter

Re: What do you guys think??

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm

All we can really do is call Game and Fish and complain...non stop lol. Still waiting on word from G&F because from what i've read and been told Arizona spent millions to keep from having the famers suck it dry. And apparently a lady went to check it out and was furious with not on the water levels but that she saw five species of ducks that are new the "Az". Its a beautiful place when the water is up but really we can just go out and make it a better place by fixing the blind and removing the trash that is out there.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:33 pm

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1995/1 ... -stay-wet/

Still digging but this is what i've found so far....this might be my main project while i'm stationed here. :yes:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

What do you guys think??

Postby FEETDOWN18 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm with you la I wish the state would have really kept it wet that place was amazing my first duck hunt and I still rember it and every thing about it to this day it was amazing it was the best duck hunt ive ever been on and the years after that dry. I've been out there tons since and disappointed every time I popped up over the dyke to see it empty and last time I was out the I watched a couple kids tear up a blind with a semi auto gun and was furious just discussed that they would ruin something like that I think we need more support on this issue.
FEETDOWN18
hunter

Postby bass3859 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Good find on that article, LA. I recall hearing about this several years ago. It was my understanding that the plan was to build a recreation lake in the area between Vail Rd (the north/south road west of the reservoir basin) and the reservoir itself. As the article you found says, it was supposed to be used for fishing, boating, etc. My big question is what happened to all of that money that, presumably, Pinal County got? I will say that in 1997-1998 or so, I drove down there and found water to the edge of the levee around the entire reservoir. Maybe they bought water to keep in there, and expended all of those funds on that.

I like the idea of maybe involving DU in some type of long term project. The only problem I can think of is where to get the water. Picacho Reservoir is, to an extent, an overflow from San Carlos Lake and the Gila River, as I understand it. Unfortunately, since San Carlos Lake is essentially empty, and when I was down there a few weeks ago, the canal along the south side was also empty, I have no idea where a consistent supply of water would come from. Again, DU, if they thought it was a viable project, might be able to come up with something. I hunted there two years ago. While I waded in, and was restricted to areas I could walk in to as I have no duck boat, I absolutely loved hunting there.
bass3859
hunter

What do you guys think??

Postby FEETDOWN18 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:33 pm

Exactly bass if they drilled and got a well put in and pumped well water into it and maintained a substantial amount of water in it a a group of us could go in and fix up the blinds and get all the trash empty hulls ect.. Out of there and make it a place we can brag about on the forums and have a good hunting place to go to!!
FEETDOWN18
hunter

Postby BigJls1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:18 am

here is the problem:

I spoke with our local DU leader about Pic Res about 5 years ago, and he began to inform me and remove some major misconceptions about DU.
First: DU doesn't just "take over" land and develop it for waterfowl.
Second: almost ALL the land they manage or at least "improve" for waterfowl habitat is private land were the land owner volunteers the land.
Third: The Native Americans have some sort of rights to the water coming off San Carlos. (your correct that it is fed mostly by SC).

your asking PInal county, The Indians, and the Farmers Who need that water, have to agree to let DU have management of it.

Hard task.
I gave up pretty Quick.
BigJls1
hunter

Postby bass3859 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:43 am

BigJls1 wrote:I spoke with our local DU leader about Pic Res about 5 years ago, and he began to inform me and remove some major misconceptions about DU.
First: DU doesn't just "take over" land and develop it for waterfowl.
Second: almost ALL the land they manage or at least "improve" for waterfowl habitat is private land were the land owner volunteers the land.
Third: The Native Americans have some sort of rights to the water coming off San Carlos. (your correct that it is fed mostly by SC).
your asking PInal county, The Indians, and the Farmers Who need that water, have to agree to let DU have management of it.

Good info BigJ. And kudos for the effort. I am curious if the person you spoke to thought the efforts of DU to facilitate a waterfowl habitat management plan at Picacho was something DU might be able to do, or if it was just an overall bad idea.
bass3859
hunter

Postby BigJls1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:05 pm

I wish I could remember his name...So he could possible go into further detail.

He was pretty neutral on his position, but hes the one who told me that I was not the first person to seriously approach this subject.
He informed me of all the obstacles and that unless some one had the time and money to get all the parties involved in signing consent to DU, it would never happen.

A better thought would might be to have AZFG set it up like a ressi in California.... $10 to $30 a hunt . Wednesday and Saturday hunting only, and the big seller here... PROFITABLE for the state.
but with ressi come the lack of freelance hunting, so Im not saying this is the best choice, but is would at least help surrounding areas by holding tons of birds.
BigJls1
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 pm

BigJls1 wrote: almost ALL the land they manage or at least "improve" for waterfowl habitat is private land were the land owner volunteers the land.

Its voluntary and permanent. A landowner will actually give property rights to DU (for example, the right to extract water for irrigation) and Du will hold that right and never use it. This stays with the property as well, so even if the owner sold it, the rights that DU has would stay with the property. It's a land value killer thats very hard to get people to agree to unless they really want to see land perserved.

Its also expensive because lawyers are generally brought in on behalf of both parties.
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to Arizona Duck Hunting