New to this board AND duck hunting...

The eastern side of the nation has some of the best hunting. Share your West Virginia duck hunting tips, tactics, insights and information.

New to this board AND duck hunting...

Postby WVHuntingAddict » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Like Wvduck i'm a complete newbie about duck hunting but have always wanted to at least try it once. My step-dad has hunted before but it's been yrs ago and i've bought the stamps once for both of us and we just didn't know anyone who duck hunted or where to go, he's still in good health but he's 75yrs old now and i would like for us to be able to duck hunt together while he still can. I live in Putnam Co. on Poca River. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
WVHuntingAddict
hunter

Re: New to this board AND duck hunting...

Postby Duck40 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:29 pm

I used to live in charleston a couple years back and scouted a couple places before moving. Sending ya a PM now that you can check out
Duck40
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

Biggest thing is get out and scout. If you live on the Pocca River, you should have a great start. You got a boat or access to one?
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby WVHuntingAddict » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:50 pm

We've got an old fiberglass boat but nothing small enough to get up n down this part of Poca River, hoping to change that in the spring tho but for now no. We see ducks fly over some here at house to get to big pond at neighbor's house and occasionally see 1 or 2 in river but just few n far in between. We've drove down around Mason Co. around Pt. Pleasant in that area a few yrs ago hoping to run into some hunters and try to start learning something but we never saw anyone. But like i said i know absolutely nothing about "actually hunting" ducks so ANY help is greatly appreciated!
WVHuntingAddict
hunter

Postby WVHuntingAddict » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:07 pm

Guess i've just never really thought about hunting ducks close to home, i've killed almost every wild animal that walks right around here over the yrs. I always just thought that you had to go somewhere "special" to duck hunt i reckon, Lol. The only duck hunting equpiment i have is a shotgun :help:
WVHuntingAddict
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 pm

If you got land bordering the river, well, I would call that SPECIAL compared to me. Don't they run barges and have locks up on the Poca? Invest in a small jon boat, get a cheap pair of waders, a few decoys, good times. :thumbsup:

If you want to hunt by your house, give me a push, I am sure we can work something out :grooving:
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby WVHuntingAddict » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Hopefully with spring will come a new/nice used jon boat, as far as hunting around close to here i'm sure we could figure somethin out...
WVHuntingAddict
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:56 pm

WVHuntingAddict wrote:Hopefully with spring will come a new/nice used jon boat, as far as hunting around close to here i'm sure we could figure somethin out...

Let me know when. What town you close to? Leon?
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby WVHuntingAddict » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:03 pm

Between Poca and Sissonville, takes me bout 30mins to get to Leon
WVHuntingAddict
hunter

Postby WOODIE13 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:43 am

Good talking to you brother. Let me know what you see and we will be working to bust some birds. Be safe. Mel
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby Duck40 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 pm

"""We see ducks fly over some here at house to get to big pond at neighbor's house"""". Why don't you just ask your neighbor to hunt his pond. That would be the easiest most expensive hunt starting out. Just a thought
Duck40
hunter

Postby WVHuntingAddict » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Gonna ask him and see
WVHuntingAddict
hunter

Return to West Virginia Duck Hunting