Successful Decoy Spreads

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Re: Successful Decoy Spreads

Postby Duckslayer26 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:21 pm

I use the J hook ALOT. I line the edge of the bank with decks mixed with feeders few resters and actives. Then at the end of the J farther out I would have mostly actives and a couple resters. The later the season the more spreads and the more knowledgeable the ducks have gotten. By the time they get down here to Ga they have seen every spread and every mojo in the world. Be smart and dont always jump on the call.

Another thing is WATCH THE DUCKS. See how they react to your calling and their body motion will they you if there interested or not.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby xtrema13 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:45 am

Me and my buddy's spend atleast an hour on the spread before every hunt.

Sent from my PH-2
xtrema13
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:51 am

xtrema13 wrote:Me and my buddy's spend atleast an hour on the spread before every hunt.

Sent from my PH-2

I agree with ya, I'm not OCD but when it comes to my decoy spread I am. I dont want ducks all tangled with each other and want it to look the most realistic I can get it. If I have ducks that are working but wont come in or are just interested I change it up and see if that works. Some days they may like big spreads, some days they make like small spreads. I hunt alot of open water and I dont even use mojos early season. I think they flare more ducks than they would bring in IMO. I just use my jerk rig all season.
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:37 pm

this last few hunts we have been trying to make a very realistic spread with what we have seen in each hole. in one it was a mixed bag of ringers mallards teal and woodies so we threw around half a dozen ringers and around a dozen puddle ducks (mallards woodies and teal) normally throw the ringers out to the side and then mix the puddle ducks with a jerk rig attached to a couple of decoys in each group. has worked for bringing the birds in just couldn't hit anything that last hunt.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:04 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:this last few hunts we have been trying to make a very realistic spread with what we have seen in each hole. in one it was a mixed bag of ringers mallards teal and woodies so we threw around half a dozen ringers and around a dozen puddle ducks (mallards woodies and teal) normally throw the ringers out to the side and then mix the puddle ducks with a jerk rig attached to a couple of decoys in each group. has worked for bringing the birds in just couldn't hit anything that last hunt.

I dont like to mix woodys, teal and mallards where I hunt. I have noticed the birds shy away from it every time I setup my spread like that. i always put the teal to one side by themselves and about 6 woodys to the other side of the mallard by themselves and so far it has worked
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:48 pm

Duckslayer26 wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:this last few hunts we have been trying to make a very realistic spread with what we have seen in each hole. in one it was a mixed bag of ringers mallards teal and woodies so we threw around half a dozen ringers and around a dozen puddle ducks (mallards woodies and teal) normally throw the ringers out to the side and then mix the puddle ducks with a jerk rig attached to a couple of decoys in each group. has worked for bringing the birds in just couldn't hit anything that last hunt.

I dont like to mix woodys, teal and mallards where I hunt. I have noticed the birds shy away from it every time I setup my spread like that. i always put the teal to one side by themselves and about 6 woodys to the other side of the mallard by themselves and so far it has worked

sorry didn't mean mixed but closer to each other compared to the ringers.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Duckslayer26 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:15 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
Duckslayer26 wrote:

sorry didn't mean mixed but closer to each other compared to the ringers.

Ok ya that makes more sense now. I tried mixing them once and never again lol. You live and you learn
Whack em & stack em!
Duckslayer26
hunter

Postby Hbnel5on » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:45 am

I like to set up deeks with a side wind always. I find with more people it helps keep us concealed with no blind or anything like that, It keeps the ducks concentration on the decoys where as the hunters are too the side. I just lke to make a cupped wall into the wind where there's a slight pocket for them to land in. It's a very realistic spread and I have found good results not mixing the species but kinda meshing them together where we have gadwall furthest and then they mesh into mallards which is sort of mixed into wigeon/ teal then ringers on the far side just basically to take up space. This spread works good for us and has killed several ducks. Reasons for this spread is that's how I saw the ducks on the hole when I went scouting so that's how I set them up. Image the ringers were the ones stretching out front so I basically just took them and pulled them on this bank basically then the others are just cupped on the oppo corner

Some coot stole my fone.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Hookers and blow.
Hbnel5on
hunter

Postby benjaminayoung » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 am

So this is the second season using Dep6's advise on adding more white. That did the trick...thanks Dep6. Significant improvement on the willingness of birds to decoy. I increased my spread by 100 bluebill and ringneck (for big water/divers) and added stringer of oversized reds. As for small water. A remote mojo or 2 seems to work pretty well. Just need to remember to turn it off once flying ducks spot it.
Most Common phrases out of a duckers mouth:
Why couldn't you have been born a duck!!!
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
Damn tweedy bird, you about got shot.
There's a whole bunch of duc..oh wait, tweety birds.
I about turned this mosquito into a duck
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 am

YW sir, where should I send my bill? :yes: :yes:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby benjaminayoung » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:15 am

1600 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington D.C. Classify the bill as a charge for "alternative therapy treatments". ;)
Most Common phrases out of a duckers mouth:
Why couldn't you have been born a duck!!!
OH S*&T, DUCKS!
Damn tweedy bird, you about got shot.
There's a whole bunch of duc..oh wait, tweety birds.
I about turned this mosquito into a duck
I just got ate up
benjaminayoung
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby diseman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:59 am

I am by no means a pro but we put out an average of 20 dozen coots and 2 dozen ducks and never seem to walk away with a scant limit. No mojo's but a jerk string always helps. We use layouts and cover them completely with hydrilla along with part of our body. Good luck to you! :thumbsup:
diseman
hunter

Previous

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting