WMA Help

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

WMA Help

Postby tpj070 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Hey guys I am planning on making trip out to Louisiana from georgia after christmas and have done some research on some WMAs and am planning on trying public land since I don't want to pay for a guide. I would like a little guidance on which WMAs require the use of a 4wheeler to get to the blind etc. I found some WMAs then found out most people use 4wheelers and we dont have any so dont know if that would be feasible. We have two boats with MM and plan on bringing them but if we can find a good walk in WMA that might be a little cheaper than dragging the boats out there. I do not want specific spots but if you would like a private message would be much appreciated with some advice and I can ask you some questions I had there. Thanks in advance for any advice.
tpj070
hunter

Re: WMA Help

Postby mallardman2256 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:23 pm

north or south LA?
<only two kinds of people don't have beards, boys and women,....and I am neither>
<the way i see it is the Lord only blesses you with so many sunrises and sunsets and i want to catch as many as i can>
mallardman2256
hunter

Postby tpj070 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:04 am

North La
tpj070
hunter

Postby Ducky504 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 am

Give me a call I 'll give some advice 225-264-9040
Fowl play
Ducky504
hunter

Postby MartinTheDuck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:41 pm

Im only familiar with the Northeast Louisiana area. Ouachita WMA has almost zero water currently, Russell Sage is solid flooded timber, but a pain for boating. Black Bayou is a solid bet, and you can launch from the trailer/don't need ATV. Boeuf State WMA, from what I hear, is solid for boating, but I haven't made it that way south yet. Best I got, and if you want my opinion: save your time and money. The hunting over here is crap right now.
MartinTheDuck
hunter

WMA Help

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 pm

MartinTheDuck wrote:The hunting over here is crap right now.

X2
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby AaronR » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:55 am

La. Hunter wrote:
MartinTheDuck wrote:The hunting over here is crap right now.

X2

X3!
AaronR
hunter

Postby tpj070 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Understood maybe this front coming up will help push some birds down. Thanks for the info guys I talked to DNR today too.
tpj070
hunter

Postby MonsterMallard » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm

i know some guys that been hunting beouf and they been killing 5-6 man limit everytime they go. they use 4wheelers though. i will be up around upper ouachita on the 1st
MonsterMallard
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 pm

@tpj070, wherever you decide to go use some common sense and make sure to read the regs for that particular location bc they all are different in some way. As a hunter that hunts all of the places mentioned above, I cant tell you how many times I have scouted several days and found a good spot then have someone walk in an set up 100yrds from me and call constantly thinking they will get birds to go somewhere completely un natural. You dont make many friends hunting that way. There are a ton of super nice guys around here that take their hunting very serious and would rather you join there hunting group that morning than for you to sit off in the bushed and try to compete with them. I would suggest to spend at least one day scouting and get out there early the next day. If someone comes close or beats you in there, be polite and suggest hunting together.
AaronR
hunter

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting