Family owned firearm

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Family owned firearm

Postby greenheadfallon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:27 am

Ive been shooting shotguns and rifles my whole life but handguns havent really been a big part of my shooting. My mom and dad have agreed to all taking our ccw class. Question, is what is a good pistol for all of us? Im okay with big caliber guns. But my mom may be not. She's shot a 357. And is fine with it. But im thinking a semi auto in 40s&w or a 45acp. Will she be able to handle the recoil? Honestly i dont know what she can handle. But a reference one what its like would be nice. Id like something in 45. But maybe its too much? I honestly dont know.
Hooked on Quack
greenheadfallon
hunter

Re: Family owned firearm

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 am

You're probably not going to want to conceal carry a .45, and I'm for sure she isn't going to want to. A .45 is a big heavy gun,even in the 1911 its still too heavy for my tastes. I'd stay under a .40 cal
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby nccanvasback » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:17 am

I carry a glock 36 or 19 every time I leave the house. A 45 can be carried effectively with the right holster and belt. That bring said. Get one that everyone is comfortable with. It doesn't matter the caliber it's all about confidence, comfort, and concealability with a carry weapon.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
nccanvasback
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:18 am

Between a 40 and 45 the 40 has much more of a "snappy" recoil as it is generally a higher pressure round. The 45 is typically a heavier gun and even though it is launching a heavier projectile the recoil is more of a shove versus a pop. Think of a shotgun versus a rifle as an example of the different sensation.

As for carrying I personally prefer and use a 3" 1911 because 1) I am most familiar with the 1911 and love the simplicity of operation and 2) they are thinner than most handguns which males them easy and comfortable to conceal and 3) I am a firm believer in larger bullets for the protection of me and my loved ones. Modern ammunition is much more effective than that of years past so the 9mm is definitely an effective cartridge but I am one that prescribes to the adage that any handgun caliber should start with 4. But like nccanvasback mentioned having a gun you are comfortable with and confident in is of the utmost importance.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby greenheadfallon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 am

This is the info im looking for, thanks guys! Keep it coming!
Hooked on Quack
greenheadfallon
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:45 am

Luvbowhuntn wrote:You're probably not going to want to conceal carry a .45, and I'm for sure she isn't going to want to. A .45 is a big heavy gun,even in the 1911 its still too heavy for my tastes. I'd stay under a .40 cal

not totally true. if you get a 3" .45 with a composite frame, its going to be a pretty light pistol with a ton of knock down power. i have a para in those specs and i almost forget i am wearing it. i know kimber and Colt (i think) also make a similar model. ultra carry maybe?
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:02 pm

You said your mom was fine with a .357. Any reason you are looking at a semi over a wheelgun? I have both but feel a revolver is better suited to a novice, especially if he/she wants if for defense but may not be enough of an enthusiast to spend a lot of time shooting it. With a revolver you do not have to remember while under stress which button or lever is the safety and which is the slide or mag release. You just point it at the bad guy and pull the trigger and it goes boom. There are plenty of compact .357 revolvers out there and you can also shoot .38s through them while practicing. But If whoever is going to use this gun is going to become intimately familiar with it and its operation then a semi auto will be just fine, it that's what you prefer.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:39 am

Rusty is correct however from experience I can attest that the lightweight compact hammerless pistols with full blown .357 ammo are not fun to shoot. Rather they can be downright painful as there is simply not enough mass to offset the recoil. Granted you can shoot .38spl for practice but if you are looking for something to be used as a CCP and a target/plinking gun there is an inherent loss of accuracy with the small pieces. While they make excellent defensive tools one must consider how much they are willing to sacrifice comfort in practicve to become intimately familiar with the gun.

There is no "perfect" handgun for all uses and some compromise will have to be made. It is just a matter of finding the style and caliber of gun she is comfortable and proficient with...and the same for the rest of the family if it will be a "house gun" to boot.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:36 pm

Just a thought but since mom is OK with the 357 that might be the logical choice. A 357 revolver would give you the choice of many fine 357 rounds or 38 special +Ps for mom if the 357 loads are a bit much. A big caliber gun you can't shoot is no better than a small one you can. Considering the most popular "purse pistol right now seems to be some version of the 380 even the 38 special can top that.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:07 pm

The 9mm in an Auto is the best all around pistol for gun and games and will hold up to SD use if needed
with the 124gr Speer GoldDot or the new Federal 147gr HST. This ammo is a lot cheaper than the other auto ammo.

A 357 mag will shoot 38 special ammo and there is minimal recoil in a 6 or 4" barrel with the 38 148gr target loads or
the 158 Lead target loads that run $15 for 50 or less. A 158 Jsp will take deer at 100 yards and the Mag with a 125 JHP is the #1
man stopper of all time while ligfht 110gr jhp's will punch paper or rabbits all day lond with minimum recoil and noise.
If just a 38 spl try for one that weight in at 32oz or more..........the lite J frame 16oz guns suck for recoil and are no fun at the range.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:35 pm

I carry HK 45 compacts and they do not feel as heavy as my fully loaded (17 rounds of 147gr HP's) M&P 9mm. For men the in the waistband or belt holster is the norm and a Kahr CM9 carries great and does not cost much. They are very simple to operate in a stress-full situation and have controllable recoil. I find that these work equally well for women and men to carry. but they are not a target gun that you want to shoot every day due to the smaller grip and long trigger pull.

the M&P compacts are also very nice but are a bit bigger than most women like to carry in a purse or bag.

You could also look at the J-Frame revolvers from S&W or the Ruger LCR. 38 special is all that is necessary. The 357 versions greatly increase recoil (when shot with 357 mag ammo of course) but in my testing there is no real velocity advantage out of their 1.8" barrel when compared to 38+P's
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Check you local laws on this too. At one time in MI you could not use another persons handgun or even be in possession of it without them being present. They changed it so that if you have a CPL you can use / carry any legal handgun belonging to someone else but I do not think a non CPL holder can be in possession of a handgun they do not own. Would have to look that one up again to be sure.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mallard Cutter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:40 pm

If she wants something for personal protection , small, lightweight and easily carried might want to consider a Ruger LCP .380 If you're carrying a weapon for protection I doubt you'll be using it at distances of 30 to 45 yards.
Mallard Cutter
hunter

Postby huntall6 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:18 am

Mallard Cutter wrote:If she wants something for personal protection , small, lightweight and easily carried might want to consider a Ruger LCP .380 If you're carrying a weapon for protection I doubt you'll be using it at distances of 30 to 45 yards.

Recoil and a nasty trigger pull lead my wife an I to hate those tiny mouse guns. That said I am going to buy a Taurus tcp for deep concealment when I get the funds. I just know I am not going to enjoy shooting it much....
Ymmv
steve-o wrote:Fight like a kid and you will never lose.

vincentpa wrote: My hairdresser is gay.
huntall6
State Moderator

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 pm

Ill get beat up on this but, don't gamble your life on a semi-auto, also get you mom a wheel gun such as the Lady Smith in 357. My wife and daughter both carry them and love them
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:53 am

I had a S&W 38 / 357 compact revolver and traded it in on a Kahr mk9. My wife did not like the long double action trigger pull and it was significantly wider than the Kahr. Revolvers are great but I know several ladies that think a Semi-auto is much easier to operate and carry. A few years ago I would have said that the 9mm is useless as a carry gun but with the current ammo available the 9 seems to do anything a 40 or 45 will do if your using the 124gr or 147gr hp. In the recent test I have witnessed the 9 will actually out penetrate the 40 and 45 which is not always a good thing. I have had several 40's and never really cared for them so for me it is 9mm or 45.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Freezer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:40 am

I think there's too many questions in the OP. One gun for everyone? This means it will be more home defence than CCW. A wheel gun will do fine and be more reliable after setting for a couple years. If this is a CCW for everyone a compact semi would fit the bill well. Is there a range where you can rent and shoot different handguns near by? If so go there and try differnt guns. Buy the one that mom likes. More than likly she'll have the smallest hand and will be you waek link as far as hesitation, recoil awareness and hand stregnth are concerned. A CCW needs to stay hiden so it needs to be a size the smallest of you can hide without bagy cloths. That would be my main concern not the caliber. 380 is a good starting point and 9 luger after that. 40 smith and 38 are my next choice. 45 ACP and 357 are out of the question. Though you can shoot 38s from a 357 the handgun is larger to handle the added presure. 357 and 45 are also prone to over penatration. Without proper bullet selection the same is true for the 40 Smith.

I guess my main point is the smallest person has to be able to concel it and shoot it comfortably. It does no good to have this handgun if you don't pratice with it and get very confortable shooting it. If there's too much recoil it will not be fun to shoot. A couple well placed self defence 380's are better than a couple pooly placed 44 mags.
Freezer
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:52 pm

Greenhead, a lot of good suggestions...and such an individual decision. My local range/shop has a try before you buy. Maybe you could find the same thing. You don't buy a car without test driving.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:28 pm

apexhunter wrote:Between a 40 and 45 the 40 has much more of a "snappy" recoil

^I agree with this.

For CC it's hard to beat a 9mm single stack (like a Sig P239).
MNGunner
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum