Back in the game

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, brassass, greenster, whisperin' duck

Back in the game

Postby newishunter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:54 am

Hello everyone!

I am a “reborn again” duck hunter of sorts. I hunted up until I was 20 or so in Iowa where I am originally from. Then work and life got to hectic and waterfowl hunting went to the wayside. I was far from a pro or even knew what I was doing lol

Well recently my Uncle passed away and I inherited his Duck boat and decoys etc. I want to get back into the waterfowl hunting but I have been “out of the game” for a while as I am now 34. Work has slowed and I have plenty of time and Vacation. I have a work buddy that would also like to join. I am living in Northeast Arkansas now and I am wondering a few things……

I don’t expect people to give out hotspots etc, just looking for some friendly advice. I do not want to go through a guide or hunting lodge. I now have an 18 ft boat with an outboard and lots of decoys and gear. I have been researching and I know scouting is the key. But should I scout towards the Mississippi river or towards some of the public flooded timber spots? I’m concerned the boat may be too big for some of the public spots?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
newishunter
Newb

Re: Back in the game

Postby Dep6 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 am

Having hunted there some I would scout the rivers and yes towards the Mississippi as well. I know folks that have done well on the rivers in your state.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Re: Back in the game

Postby greenster » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Welcome to dhc.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting