Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, h2ofowlr, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck

Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:23 am

First and last? Never happen, we all had the exact same thoughts. I honestly think the first boat is a learner boat, second your getting closer. The third or fourth you'll get the real boat of your dreams. Mines a 19' bankes. My wife is still not happy with WAmuley.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Re: Getting ready for a nice 12 week vacation in 2013

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:39 am

This will be my second boat. I guess we shall see. Haha.
Is WAmuley a boat dealer or something?
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 am

Surfj9009 wrote:This will be my second boat. I guess we shall see. Haha.
Is WAmuley a boat dealer or something?

Lol, no. Have been lucky enough to hunt out of his 17' Bankes a couple times. Enough to know that another 2 feet and it would be perfect.

I have owned more boats then can count with both hands. I'm still looking for a perfect boat.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:20 am

Yeah I'll jus have to make sure I never catch a ride with someone who had a nicer boat than me, otherwise I'll face envy!
Those banks boats are nice. A bit too spendy for me now....but maybe someday.
But if I avoid them altogether I would never know what I'm missing!! Haha
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:57 am

surfj, you are going to like the Phowler boat. I have an 1852 flat front Xtreme Phowler and it has been a tank for the three years I have run it. Are you getting the boat directly from the manufacturer (Paul)? What are you going to put on it for propulsion? I have a 36 hp Prodrive with a couple of modifications to tweak the HP just a bit. You are going to need a modded motor to push that 1860 with a full hunting load. Paul can help you with recommendations if you go the Pro Drive mud motor route as he is one of their biggest dealers. Mudbuddy also makes some very good modded for HP short tail mud motors. bbforducks is a MB dealer in the Seattle area. His company is Blaze Backwater.

It looks like maybe you are going to be putting a console on this boat? I would think twice about a console with a mud motor. When you get the boat stuck in the thick stuff - and you will - it is preferable to have a tiller handle motor so you can quickly yank and place the prop in the sweet spot for propulsion.

Finally, keep getting more uship bids. When I got my Phowler it came out with another hull and the tab for two hulls from IA to Spokane, WA was $800 total or $400 each. You might consider getting a quote to ship to somewhere like Spokane or MT, and you drive 5 to 10 hours to pick up. Cheaper than all the way to Seattle?
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:52 pm

HaydenHunter wrote:surfj, you are going to like the Phowler boat. I have an 1852 flat front Xtreme Phowler and it has been a tank for the three years I have run it. Are you getting the boat directly from the manufacturer (Paul)? What are you going to put on it for propulsion? I have a 36 hp Prodrive with a couple of modifications to tweak the HP just a bit. You are going to need a modded motor to push that 1860 with a full hunting load. Paul can help you with recommendations if you go the Pro Drive mud motor route as he is one of their biggest dealers. Mudbuddy also makes some very good modded for HP short tail mud motors. bbforducks is a MB dealer in the Seattle area. His company is Blaze Backwater.

It looks like maybe you are going to be putting a console on this boat? I would think twice about a console with a mud motor. When you get the boat stuck in the thick stuff - and you will - it is preferable to have a tiller handle motor so you can quickly yank and place the prop in the sweet spot for propulsion.

Finally, keep getting more uship bids. When I got my Phowler it came out with another hull and the tab for two hulls from IA to Spokane, WA was $800 total or $400 each. You might consider getting a quote to ship to somewhere like Spokane or MT, and you drive 5 to 10 hours to pick up. Cheaper than all the way to Seattle?

So here is the deal. I currently have a 16' Mirrocraft Deep V Fisherman with a 1979 Evinrude two stroke 35. Also have a trailer obviously for this boat.
The Phowler is gonna cost me right around $10k, ordering directly from Paul. The best bid I have gotten on Uship is for $1000 so far, delivered to Spokane (where I live) and on a new trailer from Phowler, which is about another $1500. The problem I have with the $1000 bid other than the cost, is also that the bidder has zero feedback. Only other bids are around $1500. So unless a few guys jump on in the next few days to drop the price down, I'll probably just fly there and rent a truck and tow it home myself for much less. Driving my own truck would be ridiculously expensive. (F350 with a V10)

After speaking with Paul, he seemed rather certain that my motor would be just fine to push this boat, and suggested I should see speeds near 38-40 solo, and in the high 20's loaded for a hunt. (these speeds are fine for me, I'm not really a speed demon anyhow)
Most areas I plan on running have either sandbars or rocks, and occasional millfoil.

I have tossed the idea around quite a bit about the console and whether or not I want the ouboard or the ProDrive with reverse. It seems logic would dictate that I should set the boat up for the conditions I will see 90% of the time, and deal with the other 10% as it comes up. The motor I have now can be tilted up to run just below the surface of the water when I get into shallow stuff, and while I cant get through fast trimmed up like that, I can still get through. I'm still pretty young and strong too, and I have a push pole, so I think the convenience of the console will work best for me 90% of the time I run.

If I was going to be in an area with mud, I would get a prodrive for sure. And I still might get a Prodrive down the road. Just can't get the boat and the new motor all at once, and I would probably have to wait until next year to get a new motor anyhow, so it won't hurt to run the Evinrude for another year.

Paul said the CG would allow up to a 75 horse outboard on this hull, and that will be way more than I need speed wise anyhow, so I really don't think I'll end up with a mud motor on here. Maybe a bigger, stronger outboard someday, but there are very few places that I know of on the east side where a mud motor would really even be neccessary. But I do see some pretty long big river runs in my future, and I'll be damned if I want to stand for a 5-10 mile run in the winter.

But I will miss the floor space I'm going to sacrifice too.

Any eastsiders want to weigh in on this? Think Long Lake, the Columbia, Snake and Pend O'rielle rivers in the late season.
The above listed bodies of water, plus smaller lakes, creeks etc in the early season.

Also, I do follow ya on being able to pick up a mud motor by the tiller to position it as needed. I just don't see myself having to do that very often. I think a 35hp+ outboard trimmed up should be sufficient for the rare instances I would need to do such. Maybe I'm wrong? The good thing is that I can always pull the console steer outboard off and just run a tiller mud motor if I find that's what I need.

I suppose I could have Phowler build the boat in a fashion that the console be removable just like their gun box....Hmmmm.

Thinking....
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Well, I'm finally taking delivery of my new Phowler Extreme ModV with a huntdeck. Need to get the blind situation sorted out. Which flip top blind is it that closes completely? Was it the MudBuddy Quickflip, or the Beavertail Flip top?
Gonna be looking for a larger motor before the season starts too. Kinda leaning towards either a Prodrive with auto reverse, or a new Suzuki 60.
Here's a few pics of the boat:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:32 pm

You know your going to have to gives some test rides.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Surfj9009 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Boats coming along nicely. Got the following done:
Bilge pump installed
radio installed (yeah I wanna rock out once in a while)
trolling motor bracked fabbed up and trolling motor mounted
interior lighting wired in
GPS/fishfinder installed
second battery installed
second fuel tank installed
dual bank battery charger installed
lots of other little stuff done
Last edited by Surfj9009 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Well...I think it's gonna be a 60hp etec. I just can't stand the thought of not have any local Mud Motor Service centers. Lord knows I don't wanna have engine problems during the middle of the season and have to ship my motor hundreds of miles to get it serviced.
Really sucks, but hopefully between the 60 and a trolling motor, oars and a push pole, I'll still be able to get into some sweet spots.

So all I really need to do is continue to improve my calling and get a blind ready to go. Gonna get the boat out and start scouting some areas in a few weeks when I get back to Spokane.
I'll primarily be working on getting so SAFE winter access to Long Lake, and I will be driving to potholes and probably spending a couple days scouting the area. Never been there before, so I'll at least get a lay of the land near the launches and find some potential areas.
I know where I intend to hunt on Long Lake, I just have to figure out how I'm gonna be able to access it in December and January. Only access I know of that time of year is through the Nine Mile launch, but there are a couple other options I'm looking into now.

As far as calling goes, I'm just gonna have to start recording myself to see how I sound. I have the DVD from Molt Gear, but I don't think my 509 call is sounding right at all. Probably my technique so I'll keep working on it and hopefully improve and get it perfect before opening day.

If there is anybody who winter has access to Long Lake and would consider allowing me to use their launch, please PM me and maybe we can work something out. If there's anybody out on Potholes who wants to go cruise around with me PM me. I won't ask for your sweet spots or anything. I can look around for myself. I'll be heading out there to scout and fish several times this summer/early fall.
I am still using Google Earth to locate potential areas to hunt this next year. I've got a good list now of places to check out...so I just need to get out there and do some boating and knock on some doors.

Anybody in the Spokane area use a 509 goose call?

I'm also willing to give just about anybody a ride in the new Phowler, just ask. There's a lot of water in eastern Washington that I've never been on, so I don't mind venturing out to your next of the woods and looking around.
I'm willing to just call it a "fishing trip", and we can fish for sure. But I'll also want to explore different area to find the ducky areas. :beer:
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Status update: (warning, I feel like rambling on right now, so If your gonna read this, grab a fresh beer)

So, I know I've gone on and on about the motor situation. Well screw it, the boats rated for a 90, so I'm getting a 90 Merc Optimax and a tach installed on the center console. I was looking at the 60 ETEC till I realized the 90 Merc was only $800 more. It's a bigger motor but a no brainer in my opinion. Gonna prop it for maximum torque and holeshot, rather than speed. That's that.

I've been having converstations with a coupe guys on Spokane Gun Trader and here about doing some scouting, building blinds, doing some dog training, and hunting the last couple weeks. There's even some discussion about hunting eastern Montana, and I've talked with guys from the Davenport, Potholes and Spokane area about getting some stuff going. I'm sure there's more of ya out there that I'll get to know or chat with in the coming months. Anybody on here reading this down by Pullman or the Snake River?
I was planning on going to the Oregon Waterfowl festival, but I won't be able to get there due to scheduling issues at my work. I was supposed to be home but now I won't be. Long story.
And it's tentatively looking like I'll have to work two weeks in the middle of the 12 I had planned on taking off. With all the money going out this year, I just don't feel right about surrendering that much pay. But things could change, so we shall see.

Worked out a trade for a Momarsh Fatboy DP, with the dog blind and doors, a trolling motor, kayak paddle and some free dekes. (Trading the guy a new Sig Tacops 1911 and a Ruger SR22) Hate to see the guns go, but these boats aren't easy to find this time of year, and I don't wanna wait till the season starts.)
Said to hell with it and ordered the remote controlled Go Light. If anything, it will make launching a good bit easier by myself. (Which reminds me, I need to wire in a halogen light facing towards the boat on the back of my truck. I can't see crap in the dark.) I'm sure Wally world or Harbor freight will have something that will work just fine.
Ordered a new goose call from Molt Gear, the EX3.
Got some GHG ProGrade teal dekes. Gonna need to get some divers too once the season gets started.
Ordered up another 8 Bigfoot goose floaters to add to the 4 I have. Want to get some more full bodies.
Not sure if the camper will happen this year. I just havent seen any small enough to mount on my truck. You'll see the predicament here:
I can remove the spare tires and get rid of the rack they are mounted to, but I still aint got much space back there.

I have legitimately consider selling or trading this truck to get something a bit more camper friendly......if ya got a trade PM me....

Went with a Beavertail 1800 Blind with the flip top. it may be a bit short, so I might have to sew in some fabric to make it fully cover the bow. Gotta sew together a good motor cover too once the Merc is installed. Gonna put a dog door on the stern by the huntdeck, and maybe one up forward where the dog will rest on the extended deck. I got some camo mesh fabric that I might stitch in for some peek holes too. Got the fabric and mesh here: [url]http://www.huntersdesignblinds.com/
[/url]
I'll be ordering a bunch of raffia from J. Stern for the blind and Momarsh, so if anybody wants to go in on a bale of it let me know, and maybe we can split the cost or have a dying party/grassing BBQ or something. (Don't neglect the off season projects!) :wink:

Kinda pissed I forgot to pack my calls when I left home for work 4 weeks ago. I'm missing out on a lot of practice time.
I still need to get a large Mr. Heater propane heater for the boat. Got a small one now, but I would like to get the bigger one too. Already got a Coleman two burner cook stove, so I've been searching through some good recipes on here and elsewhere. I'm pretty sure there will be many nights, at least in the early season, where I will just camp out in the boat the night before a hunt.

I've got a 1979 Evinrude 35 two stroke I'll be selling after I get the Optimax. It runs great, and comes with the parts and components to install the charging system and electric start, as well as some era appropriate controls with cables and two older 6 gallon tanks, but no fuel line. I wont sell it till I got the Merc on, but if your interested, I would like to get $750 for it, or trade for GHG ProGrade fullbody ducks, GHG ProGrade feeders or pintails, goldeneyes, or other divers, or Bigfoot goose floaters or full bodies!

Can't wait to get out there! :thumbsup:
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Shade » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 pm

In order of appearance:

1) I wouldn't wait for the season to start to find diver decoys. They aren't easy to find used and can get expensive to purchase new. Cheapest and easiest way is to pick up cheap ass mallards from craigslist and paint them into divers yourself.

2) Instead of sewing in additional fabric on the ends of your blind... Get a military grade Cammo net and cut it in halfs to throw on after you're all set up. Keeps options open (like dog spots and set up take down space, etc).

3) I know a guy who bought a giant bale of raffia and has tons left over. Let me know how much you need and I can get it for you. He sells it for $20 per 3lb hank, but if you by 10+ hanks he'll prolly discount ya. I don't remember where you are located, but I drive from Seattle to Spokane and then north up to Colville on a fairly regular basis and can easily make a delivery. Let me know if you want to set that up.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 pm

Shade wrote:In order of appearance:

1) I wouldn't wait for the season to start to find diver decoys. They aren't easy to find used and can get expensive to purchase new. Cheapest and easiest way is to pick up cheap ass mallards from craigslist and paint them into divers yourself.
Good idea! I'll have to start digging up some info on paint colors and such!

2) Instead of sewing in additional fabric on the ends of your blind... Get a military grade Cammo net and cut it in halfs to throw on after you're all set up. Keeps options open (like dog spots and set up take down space, etc).
Maybe. I had considered the net option, but of I extend the fabric at the bow to go around the front, it will allow a bit more space in the front that i can keep weather out of. My main concern here is being able to completely enclose as much as possible, for camping/sleeping inside, and keeping rain and snow out. I guess I won't really know till I get the blind and put it on the boat, but I'll post pics and such before sewing in more fabric.

3) I know a guy who bought a giant bale of raffia and has tons left over. Let me know how much you need and I can get it for you. He sells it for $20 per 3lb hank, but if you by 10+ hanks he'll prolly discount ya. I don't remember where you are located, but I drive from Seattle to Spokane and then north up to Colville on a fairly regular basis and can easily make a delivery. Let me know if you want to set that up.
This might be possible. Not sure when I'll be back in town though yet. Is it all just the standard raffia, or has it been dyed? $20 a hank is pretty cheap. I know Cabelas has Killerweed on sale now, but it still ain't that cheap. I think I'll probably end up taking you up on this offer.
Any idea how much it would take to put a good coating of raffia on a Beavertail 1800?
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Shade » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:06 pm

I'll PM you.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:56 am

Surfj9009 wrote:
Shade wrote:In order of appearance:

Good idea! I'll have to start digging up some info on paint colors and such!

[/color][/b]

Black and white is all you really need for colors. Stop on by and you can see some of the repaints I have done. They don't look perfect but I have never had a problem fooling any ducks.
eagles2069
hunter

Postby cj6530 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:18 am

I am interested in the same boat and talked to Phowler about the flat bottom hull design last week. They state that although the bottom is a true flat bottom.....it will run as good in chop as a G3 or Lowe with a slight V because the Phowler has longitudinal bracing instead of horizontal (like the G3 or Lowe). In short....they said it rides higher and is more supple over the bumps. Have you ridden in a G3 or Lowe roughneck to compare vs your flat bottom Phowler?
cj6530
Newb

Postby Surfj9009 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:19 pm

I have not.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:58 am

If anybody wants to get out the first week or two of the season and do all the shooting while I focus on working my dog on steadiness, let me know.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:12 pm

Glad you are liking your Phowler. They are nice boats. Mine sits out at my boat dock as we speak. I have a 21' open bow ski boat but I can't resist taking the Phowler / Prodrive rig out for a run with the dog. Mine is 1852 flat front and it has been a fine boat. Surf, did you get the runners welded on to the bottom of your boat? The first thing I did was flip the boat over and take them off, but then again I am running a mud motor and not a big old Optimax that in a hard turn could break into a slide fairly easy.

The Beavertail blind you bought is a good choice. Like everything, has it's pluses and minuses...way more pluses than minuses.

Love those late 70's Evinrude 35s. I used to own one until I stupidly screwed it up.

To the guy that posted that there are no good mud motor dealers / service centers in Eastern WA, check out Mudbuddy Northwest, based out of the Coeur d'Alene area. The owner most definitely goes above and beyond to service what he sells. I run a Prodrive, which has been a great motor, but if you are looking for a local mud motor dealer MBNW is the only one.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:09 am

Bah!!
That was me! Glad you mention MBNW. I'm gonna talk to him.
I've really wanted a mud motor, but want to keep the center console.
Didn't know MBNW was right next door to me.
I haven a fully paid for the Optimax yet, so it may be a MudBuddy after all.
Hayden Hunter, wanna take a guy for a ride?
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby HaydenHunter » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:07 am

surfj, I just sent you a pm.
HaydenHunter
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:52 am

I was drooling over your pickup parked down by my lake a month ago. You must have been out for Blue Backs....

I would asked you a million questions had I seen a Phowler boat going in there, and I'd of had no clue it was you. I guess I must have the wrong job, as I don't have kick ass trucks or boats. I've got kick ass guns, a kick ass wife and a kick ass mortgage. My days of custom orders are Gonzo.

I'd take you up on a Phowler cruise if you are up my way. Bass were not hitting a thing last week though. And you certainly would not have to twist my arm to gun while you ran a dog. But I'm in the same boat(pun just worked there) with this joker as you this season.

Since I'm broke, I'm going the other route. Small boat, one man and a dog. I almost pulled the trigger on a Four Rivers EBADS but burnt my Sock Drawer money on a different project. $3000 was too much for me. Dave Ramsey isn't a fan of Fun or Credit Cards. Debt Free life is boring...
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:50 am

I was on two different lakes about a month ago. I was mostly going out for kokannee or perch. No luck on the perch but did pretty good on the kokannee.
Thanks for the compliments, but sometimes I hate the damn truck. Stupid thing is a massive gas hog with that v10. But I do love driving it off road too. I never worry about it, except when I see soupy mud since its so heavy. I've been considering trading it off or selling it to get something more economical, or chopping part of the rack off to put a small camper on it and just dealing with the gas costs.
I like sweet guns too. I've got a few I'm trading off for a Momarsh DP in a couple days, so I'll be doing some small layout boat hunts too. I know of at least a couple spots where it can get some good use, at least in the early season. Maybe we could load the boats up in my truck and set up somewhere for a dual layout boat hunt. I know I'll be doing that up by you when the season rolls around anyhow. If we paired up we could get a bigger spread of dekes out with two boats.

I'll definitely take ya up on the shooting offer too. I really wanna make sure this dog is steady this year. I don't mind not shooting, because for me, a big part of the enjoyment is just being out there and working with the dog anyhow.
Surfj9009
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:30 am

I'm at Loon.

That TacOps is a nice one. I'd think an even trade for the MoMarsh. I think I saw that on CL a while ago.

I snagged a 1648 with 25hp and trailer last fall on CL. It will have to do for this season. The floor has been decked and its pretty nice. I would like to fab a low profile blind to run two guys out of my boat perpendicular. Like a GatorTrax, for this upcoming season. We shot a good amount of ducks last year without a boat. I kayaked into some places, but needed the yak as more of a deke and gear freighter. Now with my dog that may change.

If I pulled my head out of my ass I'd just built a cheap Harbor Freight Long Tail and probably not need any other hunting boats for some time.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Surfj9009 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Jesse Jaymes wrote:I'm at Loon.

That TacOps is a nice one. I'd think an even trade for the MoMarsh. I think I saw that on CL a while ago.

I snagged a 1648 with 25hp and trailer last fall on CL. It will have to do for this season. The floor has been decked and its pretty nice. I would like to fab a low profile blind to run two guys out of my boat perpendicular. Like a GatorTrax, for this upcoming season. We shot a good amount of ducks last year without a boat. I kayaked into some places, but needed the yak as more of a deke and gear freighter. Now with my dog that may change.

If I pulled my head out of my ass I'd just built a cheap Harbor Freight Long Tail and probably not need any other hunting boats for some time.

If you need anything TIG welded, let me know. I got a buddy who does some pretty nice work on the side for extra money. He does all my welding.
Surfj9009
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Duck Hunting