question on roasting mallards

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

question on roasting mallards

Postby XR2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:21 am

I have only recently started plucking birds that have been head and/or wing shot and roasting them. I haven't tried with mallards yet, but plucked a couple out yesterday. They have more fat than the teal and wigeon I have roasted in the past which I have just stuffed with celery, salt & peppered, and roasted for 30 minutes at 400-425 in a pan with 1/2" of water in it. With the mallards I'm sure the cooking time will be a little longer but was wondering if I should score the skin to help the fat cook out a bit? I figured there are some people on here with more experience than myself when it comes to roasting ducks. I was thinking about maybe splashing some Lea & Perrins on them before salt & peppering and stuffing with celery (or would oranges/apples be good too?) and roasting for 40-45 minutes?
XR2
hunter

Re: question on roasting mallards

Postby apexhunter » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:25 am

Rub a bit of butter on the skin with some salt & pepper (and seasnings to your taste) to help it crisp up and retain internal moisture and definitely try oranges & apples stuffed inside. I have even loosely wrapped or tented them with foil to avoid drying out when roasting and serve with some wild rice or garlic mashed taters.

You can also take the juice from the pan/foil and reduce it down by half in a pan with some portabella mushroom caps, finely chopped shallots, a touch of rosemary, a bit of white wine, salt & pepper and a dab of heavy cream at the very end end to make an awesome sauce to pour over the meat or the rice.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Re: question on roasting mallards

Postby scopolamine » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:56 am

here's what I do

1. lay a bed of celery in the bottom of your roasting dish

2. Turn your oven as high as it will go, mine goes to 550

3. salt and pepper your ducks to your liking, put some fresh herbs and sliced up citrus in the cavity and coat with an oil (I like bacon fat best, olive oil next) Let the birds reach room temperature, about 30 minutes usually while the oven is warming up

4. place the ducks on top of the celery they are resting in their own juices.

5. 18 -20 minutes for big ducks,; 13-16 for teal and small ducks

6. Remove from oven, and let the damn birds sit for at least 5 minutes

They will be medium rare and its a crime if over done, so dont over cook them.

Meanwhile, the juices in the bottom of your pan make a wonderful gravy. Add 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, the juice of a lemon, and a cup or port or red wine. Use some flour to thicken if need be.
scopolamine
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking