Union County

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

Union County

Postby System » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:19 am

So,

I am going to Union County for the first time this year and wanted to know what the blinds are like. Make sure I bring the right stuff, Marsh Seat? 5 gallon bucket to sit on? Seats already there?

Any other info about the gear, not looking for a spot to hunt just stuff that makes it a little easier, i.e. you need a sled to bring your decoys.

Thanks,

Tony
System
Newb

Re: Union County

Postby buckwild » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Most blinds have a bench. Just need decoys (3 doz. limit) waders, and ammo(25 shot limit)

The situation is horrible down there this year. They are down to 12 of 35 blinds that have water because 3/4 pumps are out. So if you go on a crowded day, there is a high chance you will be hunting a dry water hole or field...which is horrible. Even their Borrow pit which is good size and has 2 blinds on it is bone dry.

To be honest that place has not been real good in 4 or 5 years. I am about to call it quits and move over to Horseshoe.
buckwild
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:44 am

buckwild wrote:Most blinds have a bench. Just need decoys (3 doz. limit) waders, and ammo(25 shot limit)

The situation is horrible down there this year. They are down to 12 of 35 blinds that have water because 3/4 pumps are out. So if you go on a crowded day, there is a high chance you will be hunting a dry water hole or field...which is horrible. Even their Borrow pit which is good size and has 2 blinds on it is bone dry.

To be honest that place has not been real good in 4 or 5 years. I am about to call it quits and move over to Horseshoe.

I drove by horseshoe yesterday .I was only on hwy 3 I saw a total of 3 vehicles where normally there are 6 to 10 .It didn't look as if north of 3 just before 127 has any water what so ever.Just thought i would let you know
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby derbyl73 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:07 pm

I don't know about the public hunting but I do know some of the clubs were struggling to pump water, due to the low water table on the Mississippi river.
derbyl73
hunter

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting