Duck Hunting Forum banner

Buckshot

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  dsm16428 
#1 ·
Gonna be using sone 12ga buckshot soon. What choke would everyone reccomend ?? Haven't used buckshot in a long time.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk

#7 ·
The more important questions is what game are you going after and at what ranges will you expexct to take your farthest shot? As for the "pased out" thing? :huh: A stout load of 00 buck will straight hammer any game it's supposed to be used on inside of the range you can keep the patterns tight. For little south eastern deer in thick cover or yotes or similar sized game, about 50 yards is about the farthest I'd want to push it. Kicks makes a choke specifically for 00 buck and I would say if you found the round (s) it likes you should be good to 50 yards or so...

#10 ·
Ga ducker said:
Why use buckshot when you could use a rifled slug? A slug will increase your range and your knock down power. That is unless you're using an old single shot with a fixed full choke. Slug is defiantly the way to go!
Some areas are buckshot only or are simply just too thick to use slugs safely. Hunting Sika deer is a prime example for it's use. They aren't very big, most only getting to about 100 pounds on the big side and they rabbit through some of the nastiest cover and multi-floral rose patches you wonuldn't believe! Like hunting rabbits while somebody trys to hold your arms and scratch your face, the whole time you're trying to get a bead on a critter the size of a german shepard that can run through the stuff like it isn't there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.