anybody ever been to coteau lodge

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

anybody ever been to coteau lodge

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:35 am

Looking for some feedback on where to book a week in ND this upcoming October for ducks and geese. Ive been leaning towards Coteau lodge as they are a DHC sponsor. Not looking for a guide but more of a place to stay and private land to hunt since it is our first go at it. Any other places you guys may recommend or any reviews from past visitors?
lbhansford
hunter

Re: anybody ever been to coteau lodge

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:43 pm

I can personally say I know the owner and he gives a you know what about guys getting on birds. They used to be a large scale operation but they trimmed way back for quality vs. quantity.

I know the area he hunts because I have a hunting house not too far away and it's legit.

But to be fair, I've never hunted his land either...but I know they harvest a ton.

Chris
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Ken Dempsey » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

During the 2012 season I hunted with these guys and there were 16 hunters in camp. My group of 3 hunters got the hind tit treatment.
Capt. Ken Dempsey
hunter

Postby mksmith1013 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:52 pm

I hunted with Tim last year in early October and would recommend him to anyone. I talked to so many people last year and none of them gave us a good vibe. Tim is the real deal. Nice guy, happy you are there, and wants you to get your limit.
He did not guide us, but he and son scouted birds each evening and put us on them the next morning. The house we stayed in was perfect for our needs. He even took us on a Sandhill Crane hunt. He leased us a trailer on a daily basis that was rigged with coffin blinds, Big Foot Canadian decoys, a few bull body mallards, and a couple of mojos. They worked like a charm. He’s a great guy and we are coming back again this year.
PM if you have any other questions.
mksmith1013
Newb

Postby lbhansford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:52 am

:mad: :mad: Well coming from the original poster of the question, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! We paid or deposit almost a year in advance and drove out to ND from Virginia last week. Drove up to Goodrich and met Tim at his shop. Was told the first guys hadnt left the house yet even though checkout was noon and we were there at 2:45pm-3PM. no big deal, we head into the closest town for gas and then come back. He shows us to our "lodge" and it is a rundown doublewide trailer with water stains on the ceiling and wall, old food in the sink, stains all over the carpet, beer bottles wedged in the couch. Im no mansy pansy but for the rate you expect something halfway decent. This place was a dump!

Called Tim immedietely and left a message. Waited around for a call back for an hour. told him we were not happy at all with the accommadations and would like to get a refund and go elsewhere. He started calling me a city boy, and a baby, and told me it wasnt the "F-ing Taj Mahal and to come get my money then. I get 245.00 back in cash and the other 320.00 is given to me in check. Go to deposit the check and the chump had put a stop payment on the check screwing me out of my 320.00. UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Luckily I had made a friend out there and he was gracious enough to to offer us room and boards for a couple days but WOW. what a joke of a lodge.

called the guy when i got back to VA and he proceeded to call me a bunch more names and finally agreed to send a cashiers check.. Im taking bets if it will ever actually show up. When asked why he even wrote me a check to begin with, he said "he forgot he didnt refund deposits"

Cost us a half a day of hunting and 320.00
DONT WASTE YOUR TIME or MONEY
! :mad: :mad:

Do a google search on the place and read the other review from last week... sounds like Deja Vu! Hope this guy has his paperwork in order....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby HuntHikeSki » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:50 pm

lbhansford, I think you just arrived when we left. I saw your license plate and the Uhaul trailer as we left. Here is our experience, we need to get the word out so no one else has the same experience. By the way, we stayed in the same double wide. I could totally see ole Tim treating you that way.

The entire time Tim seemed to be annoyed that we were there and at any questions we asked him (trust me, we were low maintenance hunters). We planned on hunting pheasants while we were there and had talk/email Tim about such. As soon as he had the money in hand he told us that there was not even a hatch this spring. Also, that there were not birds to hunt. It would have been nice to know that and we would have not spent the 80 bucks on the upland bird permit. The entire time we never even saw a pheasant while out in the field. Each time we went to get directions or be put on the field to hunt, Tim put no effort into finding anything outside 5 miles of town to hunt. We had one hunt that we were not set up for in time and when we asked if we could get out early, Tim was really annoyed. He did have a young kid in his early 20's that would put in a whole lot not effort into finding birds. Tim has a overhead door side business that seems to take all of his time and energy. The lodge is not longer his and his accommodations were bad. When Tim showed us our house, it had leaking roofs and really bad lighting, it was more like a haunted house. They formally had a bird cleaning station, which would have been nice, but were to lazy to put it up. It would have been better to have stayed in a nicer hotel room and guide myself. The overall experience was poor and I wish had spent a little more money to go with a real guide. Tim needs to sell the business and move on or stop misleading folks. I know that our of state hunters might be annoying to him, but I could have done just as good hunting at home in my backyard. I took a lot of time off work and spent a lot of money to get there just to be treated poorly.
HuntHikeSki
Newb

Postby lbhansford » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 am

we werent towing a Uhaul, we were in a black nissan titan crew cab with VA plates. We were just staying for the lodging, no guiding and so it REALLLLLYYYY wasnt worth it for us to stay in casa de mildew. I would file a complaint with the state on that place. I did. the man is a straight thief.

http://www.ndhealth.gov/foodlodging/
lbhansford
hunter

Postby slough » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 am

Maybe they'll go out of business so that all the land in that area won't be leased up and closed to the average Joe. But probably not, too many out of staters who want the work done for them.
slough
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 am

hey that would be nice too!

Did all my own work while there. much more rewarding that way.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby recker » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:36 pm

Most guides are a joke imo. I had an experience like this in 2006 in Texas. The place ended up being a dump and the guide and his buddy shot most of the birds before we could even get our guns up. We left after one day and hunted on our own. I have not used a guides since and dont ever plan on using one again.

Guides in North Daktoa are ruing it for the average guy and leasing up all the land but still you can do just fine without one. Plus most of them stick you with six or seven other shooters anyway. What fun is that. Keep calling people like this clown out though and make sure people learn about the places NOT to go like the one mentioned.
recker
hunter

Postby recker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:35 am

I will say this after looking at his webpage. The places mostly look like dumps from the outside and especially the trailer. I would have asked for inside pictures of the places before booking myself. This guy has pretty decent prices compared to most but that is probably because he cant attract big money people with his lousy accomodations.
recker
hunter

Postby grey duck » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:44 pm

I was wondering what the lodge was like. Our annual trip has once agin come to an end, and we have never had amazing accommodations. You can find a place like y'all describe for $25 per person per night most anywhere in ND. What does he charge?

Sitting in a hotel in Bismarck now waiting on my flight tomorrow. Free lanced north south east and west of the lodge all week and never thought that we needed help from a guide. Finished up the week with a barn burner. Six of us killed 35 ducks and 5 lessers by 7:30 this morning. We had 30 mallards on the ground in 19mins.

I can't speak about Tim but the folks in ND are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met. There is something pure about this place and the experiences here. I can't wait for the memories that are to come.
grey duck
hunter

Postby Capt. Ken Dempsey » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:49 am

Stay away from this operation and you may have a positive experience while in ND. Been there done that and a return trip is out of the question.
Capt. Ken Dempsey
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 am

Capt. Ken Dempsey wrote:Stay away from this operation and you may have a positive experience while in ND. Been there done that and a return trip is out of the question.

I recommend you put your review on google reviews under the business to help others like us be more informed.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby recker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 pm

I have heard that place is terrible.
recker
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:36 pm

You say this guy is a DHC sponsor? :huh:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:29 pm

Dingbatter 2 wrote:You say this guy is a DHC sponsor? :huh:

in 2012, yes. No longer is though
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:21 am

I drove by this place yesterday and thought it was the place you guys were saying was a dump and was really curious, totally different place but similar name.

cdplodge.com
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:50 pm

That's a different place. The one this thread is about is in the Goodrich area.

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:25 am

H2OfowlND wrote:That's a different place. The one this thread is about is in the Goodrich area.

H2O

I realized that.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting