Breaking ice yet?

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Breaking ice yet?

Postby OneLeggedDuck » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Headed out tomorrow AM, wont be able to get out there to check conditions tonight. Just curious if any of you who hunted today were breaking ice this morning. May need to invite my ice breaking sasquatch resembling hunting buddy along to help.

Good luck- looking forward to seeing some new birds in town.
OneLeggedDuck
hunter

Re: Breaking ice yet?

Postby mudpack » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:57 pm

Went out this morning. Not cold enough/long enough to make real ice yet. Plenty of open water, and even a few birds.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cONG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:38 pm

I been seeing ice on the ponds around here, in the morning. I seen some ducks hitting up a corn field to
cONG
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Waited till Fri . morning to go out . About a 1/2" of ice covering the boat lane of the marsh I was in. I was using my layout boat that has a 6 1/2 hp longtail on it . Suprisingly I was able to push through the ice with no trouble . I thought friday would be a great day after the snow and wind of Thurs . But the ducks ended up fooling me again , nothing flew . Thousands of greenheads on the refuge that morning but thats where they stayed .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Got out Friday with the same expectation as John. Three gadwalls came in and three gadwalls stayed with me. Only 3 ducks I saw the entire day. Had to break really thin ice, but it wasn't to bad. Don't know what the ducks are doing. Most frustrated and confused I have been duck hunting in a long time.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby CBRS » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:48 pm

First year in Kansas and am a bit suprised were froze up before Christmas.
Have secured several fields to satisfy my goose addiction and all the farm ponds have heavy ice on them.
With even colder temps on the way.
CBRS
hunter

Breaking ice yet?

Postby OneLeggedDuck » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:45 pm

My experience was similar to you guys. John I believe we were hunting the same area Friday. We broke ice only to have them fly over our head before LST straight to the refuge. Can't seem to find the dumb birds yet.

Have seen some good numbers of Canada geese on open water up north, few thousand snows on the river spot.
OneLeggedDuck
hunter

Postby quackattack1991 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:34 pm

Scouted hard this afternoon. Found where the ducks were flying for the first time all season, but couldn't find where they were going. Tons of migrators this afternoon 30-45 min before sundown. Some of my hope was revived.
2012-2013 Season

Looking forward to it
quackattack1991
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:44 am

CBRS wrote:First year in Kansas and am a bit suprised were froze up before Christmas.

It happens every year...usually the first hard freeze comes in early Dec...we are about 2 weeks late this year. Often it will freeze hard for a couple of weeks and then thaw out for the last week in Jan.

The coldest its ever gotten was in 1989. Minus 23 over the Christmas holidays...the Missouri river was frozen solid all the way across!
radfordc
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting