Edwin B. Gunning River

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Edwin B. Gunning River

Postby Quackerbarrel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Been traveling all over the state lately hunting and scouting as hard as I can. I hunted Barnegat bay a lot but not since sandy, I was going to launch sometime next week from the public ramp on bay ave in Waretown and go south in the boat to the gunning river area, it looks like a lot of habitat and will be an experience regardless. I know parts of that area are Edwin B refuge and I have the gunning river area map handy but is there anyone who is familiar with that area who can give me suggestions and feedback on that area, the refuge map has points on it that are labeled out by numbers with a key for each point, this confuses me being that you can't hunt from land there. As far as I knew if your in an area that's not a refuge and your not on land you can hunt it, I obviously can read refuge signs and will have to keep a look out for them if I venture south into the marsh of gunning river area but does anyone have info on this area that can help shed light on some rules ect. Thank you
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Re: Edwin B. Gunning River

Postby Quackerbarrel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:29 pm

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/forsythe/p ... 20year.pdf
That's the link for that areas refuge, I never hunted this area of the bay before but I like how close the ramp is and it looks like a habitat I would like to hunt.
Thanks
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:01 am

Putting in at waretown would be foolish, being that you can see the gunning river from the barnegate ramp. If you need any tips, just ask anyone of the dozen hunters that are there on any given saturday. That being said, Ive gotten a fair share of birds from there. With anything else, the back creeks drain at low tide.
FFT
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:16 am

I was looking at a map and I will be launching from barnegat ramp actually. I will probably be hunting it next week mid week sometime. I would like to take a ride through those back creeks at high tide and check them out, thanks for the info.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:13 pm

^^ "If" the signs are still up. the prohibited areas are relativley easy to identify. IIRC, south bank of the river is off limits once you get in the back. Plenty of divers to set up on out front. PM me if you have any specific questions.
FFT
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for your help, after Christmas when I go I will probably pm you with a question or two if I think of any. Instead of hunting barnegat this week I am pushing it back till next week because I scouted today and my area has new birds moving through and I am exited.
Thanks,
Joe
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby olclamman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:17 am

there is a public at the barnegat dock right out side of the refuge 2-3 wks ago it was closed asthe town wasdumping the debrie from sandy it should be clea ned up by now
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:37 am

I will give the township a call after Christmas and see what they say, heard from another forum that is is open but who knows.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting