fog hunting

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

fog hunting

Postby ducking&diving » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:04 pm

we hunted out of the layout boat the other day in the sound and mid morning some dense fog rolled in. could not see the farthest decoy from the layout. kinda erie and it could been dangerous i imagine. had to re anchor the tender about 50 yds from the spread just to see the outline of the layout. really was a strange day with weather. couple of noticable wind shifts heavy rain fog and finished 65 degrees and sunny! only killed 3 a scoter a buff head and blackhead. birds just didnt decoy well. continuously changed the spread and position of layout. i guess the weather had us confused must have had ducks the same way?
20' Jones Brothers Bateau
Ambusher Layout
Benelli
Beretta
ducking&diving
hunter

Re: fog hunting

Postby Bhk2 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:13 am

Two years ago I hunted Lake St. Clair. First time on the lake and the fog was so thick you worried about getting lost between the bow and stern. Any way as the fog starts to lift the buffies come in like bees int o the hive. It was more of a self defense shooting then sport. At one point im pretty sure one confused bird skipped off the layout scared the crap out of my gunning partner, myself and that bird. The fog has always brought me luck, something about how they are just on top of you then gone that I really like.
Bhk2
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting