Dead Mount Surf Scoter

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Dead Mount Surf Scoter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Done by a friend of mine. Thoughts?

There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Re: Dead Mount Surf Scoter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 am

Uhhhhhh.
It's hard to achieve a nice "hanging" look, without it looking like it's dive bombing.
Looks like something from a Black Sabbath album cover.
A little scary

wait, wait, wait....
I just saw that Slayer bit on the bottom of your post....
Then you might like the look
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby tam9492 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Looks dead to me...
tam9492
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:53 am

I think a good looking dead mount is one of the toughest mounts to pull off. I know that sounds like silly talk, because you can basically argue "but it's dead"? Dead? Yes, but stiff is another thing. I'm personally not a fan of dead mounts. In my opinion, you want a dead bird to display, a good photo takes up far less space, and is much easier to explain to the layman.

Now that doesn't mean there are no good looking dead mounts, because there certainly are. They need to look dead, but they also need to be clean, smooth, and not stiff. I think it's best described as just dead, and a split second capture of how it looked on a strap.

As far as I'm concerned, your scoter looks dead. Who can say that they've never seen a duck on a strap that didn't resemble your duck? Even though it looks like a dead duck, it looks frozen, and stiff. It needs balance. Maybe one wing tucked in or both? The neck elongated a bit more. Gravity pulling downward from the foot as its balance point?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Pete-pec wrote:I think a good looking dead mount is one of the toughest mounts to pull off. I know that sounds like silly talk, because you can basically argue "but it's dead"? Dead? Yes, but stiff is another thing. I'm personally not a fan of dead mounts. In my opinion, you want a dead bird to display, a good photo takes up far less space, and is much easier to explain to the layman.

Now that doesn't mean there are no good looking dead mounts, because there certainly are. They need to look dead, but they also need to be clean, smooth, and not stiff. I think it's best described as just dead, and a split second capture of how it looked on a strap.

As far as I'm concerned, your scoter looks dead. Who can say that they've never seen a duck on a strap that didn't resemble your duck? Even though it looks like a dead duck, it looks frozen, and stiff. It needs balance. Maybe one wing tucked in or both? The neck elongated a bit more. Gravity pulling downward from the foot as its balance point?

Thanks for the feedback Pete. I see what you're meaning about tucking wings, elongated poses, and the like. It really dawned on me when I picked up a big pintail today and I saw it. I wonder, is there a way, without completely trashing what I've got, to make it look a little more balanced?
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Cougar125 wrote:
Pete-pec wrote:I think a good looking dead mount is one of the toughest mounts to pull off. I know that sounds like silly talk, because you can basically argue "but it's dead"? Dead? Yes, but stiff is another thing. I'm personally not a fan of dead mounts. In my opinion, you want a dead bird to display, a good photo takes up far less space, and is much easier to explain to the layman.

Thanks for the feedback Pete. I see what you're meaning about tucking wings, elongated poses, and the like. It really dawned on me when I picked up a big pintail today and I saw it. I wonder, is there a way, without completely trashing what I've got, to make it look a little more balanced?

Personally I wouldn't bother with it. It looks fine. It's what you wanted after all. It's a dead duck. I wouldn't sweat it. I'm not sure I would do any better? I certainly wasn't trying to hack it up. I was just giving some feedback (and just my opinion) on dead mounts in general. :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Pete-pec wrote:
Cougar125 wrote:

Personally I wouldn't bother with it. It looks fine. It's what you wanted after all. It's a dead duck. I wouldn't sweat it. I'm not sure I would do any better? I certainly wasn't trying to hack it up. I was just giving some feedback (and just my opinion) on dead mounts in general. :thumbsup:

You're right. It's a dead duck and its what I wanted. Oh well. On with the next one!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby BlaineD » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Pete I have to commend you on your advice here. Very well put and well received. Win Win.....the way I like things
BlaineD
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 pm

BlaineD wrote:Pete I have to commend you on your advice here. Very well put and well received. Win Win.....the way I like things

:ditto: :thumbsup:
Cougar125
hunter

Postby WildDuckman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:27 am

Not bad man!!! Not bad at all.
WildDuckman
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum