New to the KS waterfowl scene.

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

New to the KS waterfowl scene.

Postby apoc330 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 am

Hello all,

New to the Kansas forum and just wanted to introduce myself and ask a couple of quick questions. I've only been duck hunting for the past couple of years and every since the first time I went on the coast of Texas I have been hooked. I mainly hunt the colorado river because like several of your KS rivers it doesn't cost anything as long as you obey the rules. Nothing like paddling out in the dark to get setup and the sound when a flock comes in on the decoys.

Anyway, I am heading up to the in-laws in smith county for the holidays (will need a diversion and no one drinks so ducks and shotguns will have to do...) and wondered if there are any rivers that can be hunted in that area. I will have access to a couple of small private ponds but really prefer the river.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and I am not asking for specific spots just if there are any rivers in that area that are not private. I will check with Parks and Wildlife as well.
apoc330
Newb

Re: New to the KS waterfowl scene.

Postby KSRedleg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:21 am

apoc330 wrote:I've only been duck hunting for the past couple of years

Wish I had a nickle for everytime I've read this on the net in the past 5 years. :yes:

apoc330 wrote:I am not asking for specific spots

And a dime for this one.

:beer:
So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 am

Welcome to the site. :welcome:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby apoc330 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 am

KSRedleg wrote:
apoc330 wrote:I've only been duck hunting for the past couple of years

Wish I had a nickle for everytime I've read this on the net in the past 5 years. :yes:

apoc330 wrote:I am not asking for specific spots

And a dime for this one.

I was really trying to avoid offending anyone but thanks for the response at least it allows me to get another post... :bow:

I was able to find out several of the things I needed and will talk to some land owners when I get there about access. I guess my question should have been a little more general "does anyone have any idea on the type of duck in that area?" All the folks up that way seem to hunt pheasant not duck.
apoc330
Newb

Postby KSRedleg » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:19 am

apoc330 wrote:I was really trying to avoid offending anyone but thanks for the response at least it allows me to get another post... :bow:

Is there an award for most posts?? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Anyhow..... :welcome:

So far this year.....
10 Blonds
20 Brunettes
6 Redheads

;)
KSRedleg
hunter

Postby apoc330 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:18 pm

KSRedleg wrote:
apoc330 wrote:I was really trying to avoid offending anyone but thanks for the response at least it allows me to get another post... :bow:

Is there an award for most posts?? :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Anyhow..... :welcome:

You mean you didn't get the memo??? :huh:

Anyhow... Thanks

cheers :beer:
apoc330
Newb

Postby duckguy7 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 am

Rivers in KS are in most part private property except for the KS River and Arkansas River. You need public access to these. Otherwise most lakes have upstream areas that are public. One possible good place is Bow Creek upstream of Kirwin Reservoir. I love hunting streams, but except for late in the season I don't have much luck. This might be a good time, but need to find area with moving water, perhaps a riffle that is not frozen.
duckguy7
hunter

Postby apoc330 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for the help duckguy7. I got pretty excited on the drive up, saw hundreds of geese getting up off of a lake and we don't really get to see that in central Texas. Gonna do some pond jumping in the morning on some private ponds I have access to. Gonna scout the Kirwin area to see what I can find, brother-in law says there are some good spots.

Again the info is greatly appreciated and hopefully I can return the favor if you come to central TX.

apoc330
Newb

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting