Heading to Florida

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Heading to Florida

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 am

So im heading down towards Ft. Lauderdale after work today to stay with my girlfriend's parents until next friday. Ive never met her dad before, and figured I might need a break in any tensions of living under his roof for the week. Me being me said you know what, I bet theres some excellent duck hunting around there. Sure enough, DHC members pulled through and are swapping a hunt with me while im there for a future hunt of canadas and mallards(they apparently dont get many mallards at all). I was told mottled ducks have legs like chickens, and fulvous tree ducks can be as plentiful as the mosquitos on some days and when the pintails get there they stack em up. I saw on some crazy map that cinnamon teal even sneak around the area but my new friends who have hunted the area for years said theyve heard of only a couple getting taken in the area we are heading. Itll be a interesting experience though since ive never even seen the tree ducks or mottleds outside of pictures, and Ive never been on a airboat either which sounds pretty cool. Ill be sure to post some pics on here of me sweating my jewels off in my 1200 thinsulate waders in the everglades. Good luck to all you guys getting out next week, the weather sounds perfect! Ill be back next Saturday, save some birds for me. Or push them all to my private spots, that works too :beer:
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Re: Heading to Florida

Postby tcole220 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am

Good luck and have fun! Watch for them gators in the water, too!!!
tcole220
hunter

Postby Salisbury » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:37 pm

How did hunting in Florida go?
Salisbury
hunter

Postby PSUbuzz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:57 am

It went awesome. I hunted the afternoon day after xmas and we shot 4 beautiful BWT and hundreds of thousands of ducks. Lake Okeechobee holds a big wintering population of divers apparently. The next day we set up and shot our limit of ringneck ducks including my first band from minnesota. Banded in August this year when it was too young to fly and on its first trip, it made it all the way to southern Florida. I thought that was pretty awesome. The guys also took me hog hunting in the afternoon, but between the water moccasins, and the amount of 10-12' gators I kept walking up on 10 feet away on the dyke, I gave up my push after about 2 hours. It was an awesome time and the weather was beautiful.
does having multiple screen names on a forum and having a conversation with yourself make you an extra special rock star hunter?
PSUbuzz
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting