Hunting 40 mph Winds Tomorrow

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderators: Cupped-n-Committed, Mikeguard01

Hunting 40 mph Winds Tomorrow

Postby genemckenzie1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:10 pm

I only get a chance to hunt on weekends, so I try to make each weekend count. Tomorrow (Saturday) is supposed to be a high of 39 and wind gusts up to 40 mph. Last time I tried to hunt in that kind of wind I ended up just chasing my decoys around.

Any tips on how to make the decoys hold tight, other than obviously adding more weight? It's too short of notice to do that.
Southern MD Hunting and Fishing!
genemckenzie1
hunter

Re: Hunting 40 mph Winds Tomorrow

Postby dirtyj » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:13 pm

Water or field hunt? If you can't add more weight to your decoy lines then find a cove that is sheltered from the wind so your decoys aren't exposed so much.

If field hunting, you can get some wire coat hangers, cut them up into about 8-10" lengths and bend them in a "U" shape and shove into the ground around the decoy feet.

Unfortunately, in winds like that birds don't move a lot and don't decoy well.
dirtyj
hunter

Postby Skeet123 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 pm

I second that. Find some kind of shelter if possible behind an island and if you can hunt a shallow area that would help when you have to walk out and adjust decoys. I would not put out as many decoys if possible. Less likely to have something that scares the birds. Wish I could get out but hoping to be blessed with a addition to the family.
Skeet123
hunter

Postby Yellowdogs » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:46 am

I hunted yesterday on the leeward side of the bay but it was still howling. I lost two decoys which dragged their anchors into deeper water and disappeared. I found them this morning washed up on the other side of the bay. I thought i was in the right spot for the wind yesterday but I could not get them close enough to shoot. I have had a slow year so far. I'm glad I am not trying to feed the family with waterfowl. They would be hungry.
Yellowdogs
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:06 am

dirtyj wrote:Water or field hunt? If you can't add more weight to your decoy lines then find a cove that is sheltered from the wind so your decoys aren't exposed so much.

If field hunting, you can get some wire coat hangers, cut them up into about 8-10" lengths and bend them in a "U" shape and shove into the ground around the decoy feet.

Unfortunately, in winds like that birds don't move a lot and don't decoy well.

Hunted in this wind with great success (Got our limits quick). Birds flew all day, both ducks and geese. Stellar day for hunting. To say the birds don't move in winds like that is bullsnot :fingerhead: . The more wind the better. Just better be quick on your shot because once they turn and fly with the wind they are gone.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting