Sighting In... Question

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Sighting In... Question

Postby Penguine » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:34 pm

Hey folks, got a question for you that I should know the answer to but I don't so I need a inkling of help. So, here we go...

I normally shoot a Winchester Super X .308 180 grain power points when I am deer hunting. As I was going through my "Stash O Bullets" I found some Winchester Super X .308 150 grain power points and some Winchester .308 168 grain Ballistic Silvertip (Kept on-hand in case any were-creatures are lurking about). My question is this, if I go out and sight in with the Winchester Super X .308 180 grain power points will there be much difference if I have to, for some reason, use the 150 grain or 168 grain Ballistic Silvertips? I know there will be some drop difference at range, but most shots I will be taking will be between 75-150 yards I am guessing.

Thanks for the replys.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:10 pm

For hunting...Id find 1 round and stick with it. Put some holes in paper to see wich round groups the best for your gun :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:50 pm

Like I said I usually use the 180 grains, but I have 150 and 165 grains also. Just wondering if the difference will be all that much if I have to switch.

For example... I am shooting the 180 grain and a were-deer pops up. Well we all know were-creatures can only be killed with Silver so I would quickly toss in a ballastic silvertip and shoot. At 100 yards would there be much of a drop difference between the 180 and the 165 grain?

Ok, the were-creature thing is a joke but you get the picture. If I was sighted how I wanted to be with the 180 grain but had to switch to either the 150 or the 165 silvertip would there be much difference?
Penguine
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:02 pm

someone correct me if im wrong, but i think that the lighter bullets will shoot a bit high... however i dont think it'll be more than an inch, so you should be good... :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Different bullets, outa the same gun, will do different things...its a little more complicated than just high or low. You may switch bullets and miss the paper all togather at 150 yards, so, I wouldnt switch ammo during a hunt for say a particular yardage, or, a particular animal size, without knowing for sure the trajectory that particular bullet is gona take outa your rifle. Confidence could be lost quickly. Now if the were-deer jumps out too close...thats when ya unholster the .41 Mag and blow his heart out :yes: :yes: :yes:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:56 pm

:withstupid: Pick the best one and stick with it. Been loading over 30yrs and have seen, simply by changing as little as the brand of the same weight and type/style bullet can make a world of difference on where it ends up. Find the best, most accurate and use it.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:23 pm

Alright then, I will stick with the 180 grain Winchesters. They have worked in the past. I honestly dont know where the other two boxes came from.

Will keep one or two of the ballistic silvertips in the pocket.. Just in case *shifty eyes* that were-deer comes about.
Penguine
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:22 am

i used to have a rem 700 pss in .308 I was surprised how each wieght would change the shot pattern.

Heres my opinion.
Set a base line with the most common round you shoot. Let say you shoot 180 gr more

Just an example
180 No Change
168 5 clicks down 2 click left
150 5 clicks up 5 clicks right

Put this info on a card and get it laminated and either stick it in your pocket or tape it or whatever to your gunstock. I would definatly test this several times before I would bet on it. This will take time to do but once you do it you might me more happy.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:29 pm

Like mentioned, deiiferent bullets out of the same rifle could yeild significant differences. Bset thing to do, shoot a 5shot group with the one you want to use and sight in on it, then, load up your secondary rounds and see where they hit, so you'll have and idea of where to hold if you should use them. Ideally, your main bullets are sighted in, and the secondaries would hit a inch or so just under, but again, thats an ideal scenario, only range time will tell you.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby quackhunter » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:01 am

It all varies with your gun. For instance, My ruger 270 shoots remington 140 grn core lockt ultras like theres no tommorrow. This is my hunting bullet. I have also tested federal blue box 130 grn soft point. They shoot to the same point but groups open up to about 5 inches. Hornaday 140 grn BTSP's shoot about 1 inch high at 100 yds. Remignton 130 grn Accu tips get about 8 inch groups and shoot left. I don't use these.
quackhunter
hunter

Postby doogie494 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:47 am

use your other ones for fun target practice
Doug

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum