Is it me or the call?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Is it me or the call?

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:07 pm

My first goose call was a Haydel SC-04 that I got last year. I just used my hands to control tones, which didn't sound goosey at all. Then I got the Zink PC-1 w/ DVD, which taught me how to blow a short reed. I find the Zink is extremely easy to blow and make sound good. The Haydel is almost impossible to blow, yet the sample sound bites and ads state otherwise. I also tried the Baby Sledge by Banded. Still, very hard to blow.

Do these calls suck, or am I doing something wrong?

If anyone could suggest a call as easy to blow as a Zink, it'd be appreciated. I'm looking for something to use on the low end.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Re: Is it me or the call?

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:38 am

The haydels goose calls suck really bad. I live in the bossier area, same place as them and have gotten free calls from my neighbor who works there. I have tons of there calls. I don't use any of the mallard hen or goose calls they make. Woody, gadwall, whistle and all the other species calls they make are good. Spend the money and try a DRC MOD it's hand down the best goose call available. IMO 2nd to that is a Doc Hulls. I got a primos shaved reed as a gift from a co-worker and it sounds a million times better than any haydels I've ever used try it out, can't do a whole lot with but it sounds like a goose.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:43 am

I have no real issues with their DR-85 or whistle. The 85 is actually one of my better calls when I do the hail and comeback. Anyway, so far I've bought 3 goose calls and I could only really use one of them. I know that they're cheap, but I can't understand how to make the SC-04 sound like the supposed sound bites. To even come close you'd have to push just enough air to get a retarded sounding goose, no more, no less. When I got the Banded call this was a little better, but you really had to push hard into this call to make a cluck.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:07 am

Hard to tell if we see and hear you...do a lil vid on you tube
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Know there are some guys in MD who swear by Haydel's Canada call, so you might want to sent it to the shop to be sure there's no tuning problem. Rod and Kelly will want to make it right for you.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Know there are some guys in MD who swear by Haydel's Canada call, so you might want to sent it to the shop to be sure there's no tuning problem. Rod and Kelly will want to make it right for you.

All boxed up and ready to ship tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby erp10 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Zink calls are tuned light but you can tune any call like that. My dad had trouble with his LMC being tuned heavy we called George at Lynch Mob and he said he could tune it "light like a Zink Call". I just ended up tuning it myself but most manufactures will help you like LMC will.
erp10
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Erp, right now I have to blow twice as hard as the Zink to get anywhere close with the Haydel. I mentioned that I liked the Zink a whole lot better in the letter so maybe the Haydel's can tune it like a Zink?
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Bo Beaver » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 pm

snapshotmd wrote:Erp, right now I have to blow twice as hard as the Zink to get anywhere close with the Haydel. I mentioned that I liked the Zink a whole lot better in the letter so maybe the Haydel's can tune it like a Zink?

You could try taking the guts out and pulling the reed toward the barrel end of the tone channel while pushing the end of the reed down slighly so it comes to rest at the end of the tone channel, but not past the tone channel as this will cause the reed to stick. In my experience, a call that is tuned hard will have the reed sitting too far back allowing air to go between the reed and the toneboard. Thus, you have to blow harder to get the reed to move. I do not like my calls tuned hard, I've done this to every call I've owned with the exception of my Super Mag and my Coles Carnage which are both hand tuned and very satisfactory.
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 am

Call design, gut setting can each make a big difference in how easy the call runs for you. Even though I have the same type guts in all the calls I use for hunting (except the GVCC XXX), they each run a bit differently. I try to set them up so they sound much the same way, but some require more or less air than others. Some require the air to be "popped" into the call harder ..... more back pressure or less back pressure. So, expect that you will have differences in how each call will run.

Stick with the call you find easiest to run for now. On your other call, mark the reed as shown in the pic with a Sharpie pen at the junction of the reed and edge of the wedge and notice how closely the reed tip is to the end of the tone channel. It should be as close as possible (a few thousandths of an inch) and yet you should still be able to press the tip down into the tone channel without it rubbing.

Buy several spare reeds from the call maker and watch some youtube videos on adjusting your call and on shaving your reeds as part of the process. The calling forum of the Refuge as a very good tutorial by Wade Walling on tuning the short reed call. I'd recommend you reading that carefully, too. then, you can play around with your call and see what things you can do to the reed setting to make the call sound better and/or easier to run.

This pic shows the Sharpie line made at the wedge/reed junction. Also, it shows another black line made where I put a slight upward bend, which makes the reed break over easier, though requiring a little more air to do so. It also reduces the tendency of the reed to rub against the back of the tone channel as the tone board breaks in. If you set the reed tip very close to the end of the tone channel, as it wears the tone board, the tip can start to rub against the back of the tone channel, which you first notice as the call starts becoming harder to run fast. Bending the tip up slightly eliminates the rubbing and allows the call to run easier and faster. I bent it up at a 45 degree angle with a hemostat (needle nose pliers will work) and it relaxes back to a point where it wont straighten out completely. The bend is made at the tip side of the black line, not at the bottom of the black line.

tripleb
hunter

Postby snapshotmd » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Just got my call back. Sounds OK, but still not as easy to blow as the Zink. I'll probably have it in my bag as a back-up.
2014-15
3 Canada Geese
snapshotmd
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 am

Nothing will be as easy as a ZINK that I found. Ive blown all the calls in the case at Cabelas and ZINKS are by far the easiest to blow. I love ZINK'S lineup!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby goosehappy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Am I glad to hear this. I bought a Haydel's SC04 last year, and could not blow it. I did the same thing and got a PC-1. It was too easy. I gave up and started making my own calls. The SC 04 exhaust is way too short, and there is no glodo in the barrel. This type of design is the hardest to blow. Besides, my SC 04 was made of some kind of plastic that smelled like dog puke. Made me gag to get it near my lips. But I am happy to say that this all lead me to making my own calls which have bagged me geese this year. While I'm sure that most of the brand-name calls are really good, there is nothing like a custom made call that fits your situation.
trapped in the polar vortex
goosehappy
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum