Shy Birds -- NE Alabama

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Shy Birds -- NE Alabama

Postby redlegs78 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:30 pm

I've been duck hunting most of my 34 years and have been fairly successful most of those seasons. Recent move to north AL has me hunting new areas. Now I'm not on here asking for spots. I like to scout and do plenty of homework. I've been hunting Mud Creek, Town Creek, Coon Creek and I've never seen ducks so shy in all my life! On a couple of different occasions I've seen working ducks flare to a live duck on the water calling to them. If a live duck can't call them, then I surely can't! I've left my calls in truck. I've tried more decoys, I've tried less. Nothing I do seems to work yet I hear people blasting every morning. Surely not all of those shots are sky-busting yahoos. Are they? Any tips on how to get these weary birds just a little bit closer would be greatly appreciated!
redlegs78
hunter

Re: Shy Birds -- NE Alabama

Postby deepmarsh1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Are they gadwall that are flaring from your mallard decoys?
chris_k wrote:An expensive acrylic Duck Commander call is like a 1981 Buick Lesabre with a fancy paintjob and 22 inch rims. $ spent on the exterior ... Nothing to show for under the hood.
deepmarsh1
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 am

iv tried all that to all i can figure is just use a tighter choke an try a drake wistle thats what iv been using latly an it has been working good so far.
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby jaker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:12 pm

no mojos, no calls, no mallard dekes, use only gadwall, or gadwall and coots, use jerk strings, make sure your hidden well, when you scout, don't look for ducks, look for the spots where they are sitting close enough to kill from the shore. don't use more than 2dz dekes this late in the season, often only a couple on a jerk string is the trick. be still.....shoot if they get 40yds or closer, and finally if you want to kill decoying birds, then go shoot divers....
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby redlegs78 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks for the help guys!
redlegs78
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting