Buffle heads and scaups?

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Buffle heads and scaups?

Postby oceanpro22 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:03 pm

I own a place at the coast where it would be easy to take many buffle heads and scaups. I would never let my son shoot anything we were not going to eat (unless a opposum or starling). Does anybody have some advice on these birds? Are they good to eat if prepared the same as more common (green heads/pintail...etc)?
My plan is to take my son out on the marsh rat and get him into some ducks soon.

Thanks
oceanpro22
hunter

Re: Buffle heads and scaups?

Postby flight control » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:35 pm

I find they taste fine, get some and try. If you don't care for them, go the jerky/sausage route.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:34 pm

Ill take any diver any day of the week and that includes mergies. If you know how to prepare it you cant go wrong. Over Christmas I shot two hoodies and breasted them out Christmas morning. I marinaded them in some chiavettas,a little soy, and some Dijon honey mustard. Probably married for a couple hours. Butterflied and stuffed with cream cheese and threw on a hot grill for a few minuted. My brother in laws and and their father, all from up north said it tasted like beef. These were fresh off the salt Marsh mergies and came out great. Scaup are a great bird too. I don't even marinade them. Just some dry rub PR salt and pepper. I like to pluck em and smoke them with skin on. Best way to cook duck IMO. Rule #1 is don't overcook. All divers can taste delicious.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby daffy... » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:28 am

soak it in sea water for 24 hours then marinate it up with some fresh garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. not to much salt cus the salt water will do much of the salting. add some oil, maybe some shallot. let it sit for a few hours in that then wrap it in bacon and saute it low and slow

buffies are good if you marinate the crap out of them. pretty fishy
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:16 am

A1 garlic and herb does the trick also. Just follow the packet marinated. Ill see if I can dig up my recipe I did this week. I fryed up some sea ducks, which generally don't taste very well, but I must say they were delicious.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:17 am

I cooked up some mergansers and sea ducks last night (not the best tasting duck). I have to say the way I prepared left none for a second meal. My wife is particular about eating duck and she loved it!

Cajun Fryed Duck Breast:

6-8 duck breast
A1 Garlic and Herb marinade (need oil, H2O, and Vingar)
2 Egg
Duck Commander seasoning or any creole seasoning
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt/Pepper
hot sauce
Flour
OIL
First pound the duck breast and cut breast into 4-6 slices each. Prepare the A1 marinade occuring to packet instructions and Marinate duck breast for 6-8 hours or over night. When that is finished prep the 2 cups of flower. Added 2 TBS of garlic powder, 2 TBS of onion powder, 2 TBS of Duck Commander seasoning (what you have). Salt and pepper to taste. Take the eggs and make a wash. Add about a tsp of hot sauce. Heat your oil t 350 approx. Passes your marinated duck in the egg, then flower (shake off excess). Fry until dark golden brown (about 5-6 min).
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby ebitzan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:22 pm

i would honestly say they arent bad eating birds
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff