Are there still ducks??

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Are there still ducks??

Postby jhummer7 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:17 am

Hey all,
Was anyone on the ducks this weekend? Are there still ducks here in Colorado?? Me and a buddy went out last weekend to Noth East colorado and hunted the S. Platte River. Only saw maybe 5-7 ducks total, all out of ranger. Did they all push out of colorado already. The reports for Dec. 15th and Dec. 16th where great so i was looking foward to getting on them this last weekend, but nothing was going.
FOLD'EM

Greenhead: 1
Spoonbill: 4
BWT: 2
GWT: 5
Woody: 2
jhummer7
hunter

Re: Are there still ducks??

Postby jhummer7 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Let me rephrase,
Did anyone go out to North East colorado over this last week and weekend and see any good numbers? Like i said we only saw 5-7 ducks, all out of range. Just wondering if any saw good numbers or if they all got pushed out of colorado already? Thanks in advance for the info. Cheers :beer: Good luck to all. Still wanting to bag a couple before season ends.
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Hunted this morning. Duck numbers were low and geese wouldn't leave the reservoir.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:29 am

Dang,
Well hopefully something happeneds before this weekend. I am going to go out again. My first year waterfowling, and i haven't done so well. Not the best year to just be starting. But Ill let you know how they are flying this weekend, if your not going out. :beer: Thanks for the info bud!
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:23 pm

Me and a buddy killed 2 limits of geese today. They don't start flying till it gets about 20 degrees, but once it warms up its on, a fresh layer of snow never hurts either. Saw some ducks today, mallards, gadwalls and then a flock of buffleheads!
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby UNLVReb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm pretty new to Colorado and went out late to the S. Platte today for the first time. River was pretty much frozen up and didn't see many ducks flying. I did jump a single, mallard, but was out of range. Tons of geese flying though, anyone have luck over the weekend? We will be out tomorrow morning, hope to get into some ducks!
UNLVReb
Newb

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:40 pm

UNLVReb wrote:I'm pretty new to Colorado and went out late to the S. Platte today for the first time. River was pretty much frozen up and didn't see many ducks flying. I did jump a single, mallard, but was out of range. Tons of geese flying though, anyone have luck over the weekend? We will be out tomorrow morning, hope to get into some ducks!

Killed a lone mallard and a lone goose today. Poor shooting
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm

Ya... I went out this last sunday, Dec. 30th. Saw maybe a dozen or so ducks, all out of range. The river was frozen in some places, but some places were open water. I stayed untill noon. At 11 i was going to pick up since i hadn't saw any ducks flying since 9. When i was going for my decoy bag i had a shovler fly right over my decoys with my gun 10 feet away..... DANG IT..... There wasn't much action for the ducks. But geese were flying. I am also new to waterfowling here in colorado. What i have heard from a couple of my buddies is that late season here is hit and miss. Some times you get good numbers from the north and they will stick around, sometimes you wont. This year with the drought/lack of food/water frezzing over, i am thinking that they came two weekends ago and didnt stick around. Heard alot of good reports and good numbers on the weekend after the split. Since then I haven't heard to many good reports. There are still some ducks, I think mostly locals, the way they are flying they know where they are going and where they want to be. So if you can go scouting that would be your best bet. I dont know how the rest of the season will go, but i am not very optamistic.
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:54 pm

I've not heard of a whole lot of success,and by the lack of shooting going on around me pretty I would venture to say others are in the same boat.
It is spotty at best,I'll give it one or two more tries and I'm putting the gun up until next season,not worth the freezing and barren skies to keep going to not even pull the trigger,go mainly for the dogs,but they have not had much work this season as well.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:38 am

ColoradoGooser wrote:I've not heard of a whole lot of success,and by the lack of shooting going on around me pretty I would venture to say others are in the same boat.
It is spotty at best,I'll give it one or two more tries and I'm putting the gun up until next season,not worth the freezing and barren skies to keep going to not even pull the trigger,go mainly for the dogs,but they have not had much work this season as well.

I am in the same boat as you. Not really worth it. Once or twice more maybe. I know guys that have private land and are having a good amount of success with geese right now. They dont have to compete with skybusters scaring everything in sight off. As far as ducks go though... Welll you said it. Spotty at best. Maybe this cold front pushed some more down.
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Thousands of mallards are east of Greeley. Not sure where they are headed to but I saw 2-3 thousand of them yesterday. A few big groups of around 250 mallards are spending the day on the river somewhere between the airport east of Greeley and Evans
duckman27
hunter

Postby Vids » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Tuesday night at sunset we saw tens of thousands of birds flying south near Greeley, most were geese but there were a lot of ducks too. Must have been a big push from up north, the entire sky was full. A very neat sight! Going to give it a try tomorrow morning, hopefully we see some. We are headed further east though.
Vids
Newb

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm

duckman27 wrote:Thousands of mallards are east of Greeley. Not sure where they are headed to but I saw 2-3 thousand of them yesterday. A few big groups of around 250 mallards are spending the day on the river somewhere between the airport east of Greeley and Evans

Now if a fella could only get access to that section of river without it involving a two inch thick stack of Benjamin's. :thumbsup:
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby UNLVReb » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Dang, sounds like there could be some luck this weekend. Let me know how it goes. Too bad Im stuck at home with the damn flu! Of Course! :no:
UNLVReb
Newb

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Vids wrote:Tuesday night at sunset we saw tens of thousands of birds flying south near Greeley, most were geese but there were a lot of ducks too. Must have been a big push from up north, the entire sky was full. A very neat sight! Going to give it a try tomorrow morning, hopefully we see some. We are headed further east though.

That might be why I've not seen any real flights out hunting,majority of them must be migrating through out the night,instead during daylight hours.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Vids » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:42 pm

We were out today by Sterling, not many ducks out there. Saw maybe 20 all morning. Good numbers of geese, but they wanted nothing to do with our spread on the river. Almost landed a few pairs and singles, but they are very call shy.
Vids
Newb

Postby CricksCo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 am

Hell yes there are still ducks... They are not out east thou
Life's a journey, not a destination... Live it up!
CricksCo
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:49 am

Went out this morning,a small group of geese roosting on the river,not a duck in sight the whole morning,heard a total of three shots around me.
After hunting,scouted a few sloughs and other areas that have always held a few late season birds,because no one has access to them,nothing on any of them.
I'm starting to wonder if those that have got birds,baited them to stick around.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:43 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:Went out this morning,a small group of geese roosting on the river,not a duck in sight the whole morning,heard a total of three shots around me.
After hunting,scouted a few sloughs and other areas that have always held a few late season birds,because no one has access to them,nothing on any of them.
I'm starting to wonder if those that have got birds,baited them to stick around.

Went out today on some public land. Saw a few ducks in the early morning, tons of geese, Canada's and snows. Ended with 2 geese and a greenwing teal.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 am

duckman27 wrote:Thousands of mallards are east of Greeley. Not sure where they are headed to but I saw 2-3 thousand of them yesterday. A few big groups of around 250 mallards are spending the day on the river somewhere between the airport east of Greeley and Evans

Wow. I have seen big flocks of geese. The biggest flock of ducks i have seen is 15 :no: Must have been a really cool thing to see. Thanks for the info. That gets me excited again! I didnt go out this weekend but i am on sunday. Seems like i didnt miss much though. I usually go out east or north east. Doesn't sound like there are alot of ducks out there still. i am interested in knowing what the ducks are going to do now, the weather is warming up a little untill this weekend, so water shouldnt be as frozen. I dont know if they have enough food around or not. If anyone sees any birds during the week let us know. Would be nice if they stuck around for a while. I will let everyone know what i see this weekend. Good luck to all! :beer:
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm

I went out this afternoon on the river,a few flights of geese flying around,no ducks what so ever,never heard a shot all afternoon.
I would bet that what very few ducks are around are as stuck in their patterns as the geese that are around as well,going to take a major bad weather event to get them to switch it up.
Scouted quite a bit this morning and as usual did not see much in the way of ducks,but there is a decent amount of geese moving around.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 am

Ya.... Thats what i have been hearing. :no: Dang it... Well thanks for the info bud. We are going out this weekend. Not really wanting to go out east to hunt the river. Dont think there are many ducks out there, and like you said the geese are stuck in there patterns. But i am still going to do it and i will let you know how it turns out. Suppose to get some snow on saturday, and a high of 30 all weekend, so i am going out sunday and hope that helps a little. Good luck :beer: and ill let you know what i see... Should just pick a new place and give it a shot...
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm

This weekend could shape up for some decent hunts if the weather they say is coming does make it here.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 pm

I am hoping this weekend is good. Wish i could find somewhere to go north and front range area. But i am still going out, north east. Ill let you know. Has anyone been south east latley. THey did have some good duck numbers before the arkansas froze up. I think this warm weather will help it out. But does anyone know if it is still frozen or what numbers look like down there?
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 am

Hey guys... Just heard a scouting report from down in south east CO. said he saw thousdands of ducks pouring into a field that alread had alot of ducks in it. If anyone is in that area good luck this weekend. I heard the river is still frozen in most places on state lands, so i really dont know where you could hunt besides WIA fields. i would deff do some scouting. Good luck to you :beer:
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Next

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting