Are there still ducks??

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Re: Are there still ducks??

Postby Timberline » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:00 pm

The Arkansas is frozen in spots but there some open water between Rocky Ford and Las Animas. The Oxbow SWA was open last week. After Las Animas to John Martin is mostly froze and John Martin is locked up.. The Corp Of Engineers are not letting out any water from John Martin till April 15th so east of the reservoir is tough going. Kevin from the DOW today said very little open water and no push of birds in the last week. I think everything will be locked up after this cold front this weekend pushes thru.
Timberline
Newb

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 am

Went out this morning,before it started snowing,got one drake Goldeneye,see a few other small flocks of geese,but nothing in the way of ducks,we have already about an inch on the ground,the weatherman said would just get cold,no snow,shows how much they know!
Probably make it out one of the days this weekend,good luck to all!
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:08 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:Went out this morning,before it started snowing,got one drake Goldeneye,see a few other small flocks of geese,but nothing in the way of ducks,we have already about an inch on the ground,the weatherman said would just get cold,no snow,shows how much they know!

I'm hoping for a good weekend with this snow! Good luck to everybody :beer:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby JaredR215 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:58 pm

There's still a bunch of birds up north. Went out before the snow hit and was done before 745. Hung around for the geese but they were on a mission. Could have killed a lot more ducks while cleaning up.

JaredR215
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 pm

[quote="JaredR215"]There's still a bunch of birds up north. Went out before the snow hit and was done before 745. Hung around for the geese but they were on a mission. Could have killed a lot more ducks while cleaning up.

Good stuff bud! I am going out on sunday... Hope its not to late. You hunt north east or just up north. Good luck to all!! FOLD'EM :beer:
FOLD'EM

Greenhead: 1
Spoonbill: 4
BWT: 2
GWT: 5
Woody: 2
jhummer7
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Shot a quick limit this morning. Even though it's Nebraska it's pretty much the same as Eastern Colorado. Lots of birds moving. There's a little bit of everything moving around with tons of geese coming down. Got a redhead, spoonie, gadwall, wigeon, bufflehead and a Goldeneye. Should be great the next couple days
duckman27
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:26 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:Went out this morning,before it started snowing,got one drake Goldeneye,see a few other small flocks of geese,but nothing in the way of ducks,we have already about an inch on the ground,the weatherman said would just get cold,no snow,shows how much they know!

What region were you in? North, south east, north east? Good luck this weekend. :beer:
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:28 pm

duckman27 wrote:Shot a quick limit this morning. Even though it's Nebraska it's pretty much the same as Eastern Colorado. Lots of birds moving. There's a little bit of everything moving around with tons of geese coming down. Got a redhead, spoonie, gadwall, wigeon, bufflehead and a Goldeneye. Should be great the next couple days

:thumbsup: Thats what i like to hear! Hopefully it stays good for the weekend and i can get on some birds! I am hoping the north east numbers are good. But will let everone know on monday. Hopefully not going to stand out in single digit temps for nothing on sunday. Good hunting brotha!! :beer: Good luck the rest of the weekend if you go out again. FOLD'EM
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:43 pm

jhummer7 wrote:

What region were you in? North, south east, north east? Good luck this weekend. :beer:

North central region.
Most likely go Sunday afternoon see what is moving around.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:31 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:
jhummer7 wrote:

North central region.
Most likely go Sunday afternoon see what is moving around.

How much snow did you get up there today? In headed up there tomorow morning then on Sunday out east.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:44 pm

We had 4" on the ground yesterday and it is lightly snowing right now.Heard a little shooting coming from the SWA that is close to me this morning,and a little bit more this afternoon,geese moved very late and flew most all afternoon, quite a few flights going south/east out of Greeley really high with their sights set for other regions.
It was 5 degrees this morning,from all reports I'm getting they are'nt leaving most roosts until it hits around 20-25 degrees,hence why I'm going to try the afternoon flights.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:43 pm

ColoradoGooser wrote:We had 4" on the ground yesterday and it is lightly snowing right now.Heard a little shooting coming from the SWA that is close to me this morning,and a little bit more this afternoon,geese moved very late and flew most all afternoon, quite a few flights going south/east out of Greeley really high with their sights set for other regions.
It was 5 degrees this morning,from all reports I'm getting they are'nt leaving most roosts until it hits around 20-25 degrees,hence why I'm going to try the afternoon flights.

Same deal with the geese and ducks out here. Geese stayed on the lake til atleast noon and the mallards never really moved.
duckman27
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:56 pm

duckman27 wrote:
ColoradoGooser wrote:We had 4" on the ground yesterday and it is lightly snowing right now.Heard a little shooting coming from the SWA that is close to me this morning,and a little bit more this afternoon,geese moved very late and flew most all afternoon, quite a few flights going south/east out of Greeley really high with their sights set for other regions.

Same deal with the geese and ducks out here. Geese stayed on the lake til atleast noon and the mallards never really moved.

Warm bed and a hot breakfast sure sounds better than sitting in 0 degree weather to look at empty skies until well after noon.
Good luck to all that venture out!

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby bigbuddha21 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 pm

got my limit of ducks and geese yesterday hunting on big thompson river west of i 25 im going out next week if anyone wants to meet up and hunt
bigbuddha21
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:43 pm

I did not go out today :crying: but i did go out yesterday. I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend invite me on his private land hunt! Very good day! Ducks were working decent for the most part! I had a friend go out east near brush to hunt and scout this weekend and he told me not to waste my time. Very low duck numbers. Geese numbers are still up but they are educated. Got a very mixed bag... not all are shown. 2 ducks short of a 2 man limit, could have gotten it but wanted to make it back in time for the broncos game... What a waste. We got a green head, shovlers, gadwalls, one green wing teal, blue bill, and a ring neck.

FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:52 pm

jhummer7 wrote:I did not go out today :crying: but i did go out yesterday. I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend invite me on his private land hunt! Very good day! Ducks were working decent for the most part! I had a friend go out east near brush to hunt and scout this weekend and he told me not to waste my time. Very low duck numbers. Geese numbers are still up but they are educated. Got a very mixed bag... not all are shown. 2 ducks short of a 2 man limit, could have gotten it but wanted to make it back in time for the broncos game... What a waste. We got a green head, shovlers, gadwalls, one green wing teal, blue bill, and a ring neck.

And a coot.... Lol :lol3:
We killed some coots yesterday. There's wasn't anything flying and I figured the dog would have fun picking them all up. Killed 5 with one shot.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm

jhummer7 wrote:I did not go out today :crying: but i did go out yesterday. I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend invite me on his private land hunt! Very good day! Ducks were working decent for the most part! I had a friend go out east near brush to hunt and scout this weekend and he told me not to waste my time. Very low duck numbers. Geese numbers are still up but they are educated. Got a very mixed bag... not all are shown. 2 ducks short of a 2 man limit, could have gotten it but wanted to make it back in time for the broncos game... What a waste. We got a green head, shovlers, gadwalls, one green wing teal, blue bill, and a ring neck.

That is a very mixed bag,congrats! :thumbsup:
Birds did not cooperate at all for me this afternoon.

ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby jhummer7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:44 pm

shootable Goose wrote:

And a coot.... Lol :lol3:
We killed some coots yesterday. There's wasn't anything flying and I figured the dog would have fun picking them all up. Killed 5 with one shot.

LOL.. ya and a coot. My buddy took him down while i was picking up one of my ducks. Said he uses them to train his dog.
FOLD'EM

jhummer7
hunter

Previous

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting