Northwest Louisiana

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Northwest Louisiana

Postby Agentvp7 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Anybody had any luck in the northwest? Caddo? River? Cross? Black bayou?
Agentvp7
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm


Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby AaronR » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:43 am

Dont think you will get many welcome remarks here from the Northwest..they are very protective of their hunting areas. I will say this, Toledo Bend is huge and has plenty of ducks. Go scout it and find you a spot.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby Toledo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm

AaronR wrote:I will say this, Toledo Bend is huge and has plenty of ducks. Go scout it and find you a spot.


No birds at TB. They all on Darbonne.
Toledo
hunter
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: College Station, TX

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby AaronR » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Toledo wrote:
AaronR wrote:I will say this, Toledo Bend is huge and has plenty of ducks. Go scout it and find you a spot.


No birds at TB. They all on Darbonne.


That sucks. Havent talked to my buddies from over there in a week or so to see what they been killing. Early season did good over there. And yes now that Darbonne isnt 6ft+ low and rising fast, im sure it will have more ducks by the day.

You havent been killing on Toledo I assume?
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby rebelp74 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 pm

The river has em but it has the pressure too. It's ridiculous all the people hunting the river. Bistineau is drained and my blinds are on land, not enough free water on it. Helps if you know a land owner.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Northwest Louisiana

Postby Uncle-J » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Drive down south!!
Uncle-J
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:47 am

Uncle-J wrote:Drive down south!!


Yea I hear the fields south of Alec have been doing good.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby Toledo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 pm

AaronR wrote:
Toledo wrote:That sucks. Havent talked to my buddies from over there in a week or so to see what they been killing. Early season did good over there. And yes now that Darbonne isnt 6ft+ low and rising fast, im sure it will have more ducks by the day.

You havent been killing on Toledo I assume?


I was just screwing with you. We been killing a few but its tough. LOTS of pressure. Lots of people hunting spots this year where we have never seen a sole in the past. Not uncommon to spend the whole day scouting and not find anything really worth hunting.
Toledo
hunter
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: College Station, TX

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby Marshwalker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:24 pm

I have some property right off of red river just NW of natchitoches. I have made quite few of hunts this year and the birds are Just finally showing up. Just as soon as we are winding down. I know other guys have had better luck but I have made enough hunts in enough places to say next year I'm waiting till christmas to even start hunting. Duck hunting has gone down hill since early 2000's and I know deer hunting doesn't compare to the fun you can have in a duck blind with your buddies but I have made hunts in spots where ten years ago you could t shoot enough birds to only be disappointed season after season with the rare 1 or 2 good hunts out of 20-30 hunts maybe. I know places in swla that were turning out more ducks than anywhere else in flyway and this year they're itching for even grey ducks.
It's time for people to realize something ain't right. I know they're are guys that are consistent every year but look back 12-15 years ago and compare these past couple of seasons to back then. The abundance of ducks and the higher quality of ducks (big ducks). I'm sure it has been proposed but I think we should take a season or two off. Every year these birds know what they are in for as soon as the weather starts getting cold. They see the same thing time after time and they know there is no break from being shot or called at from Canada to Louisiana. They'd rather not travel as far anymore. More and more people are hunting. More pressure than ever before. Why would a duck want to travel further south if they have enough resources where they are, and all they have to deal with freezing they're ass off. Sorry guys I am just venting and can't imagine growing up and not being able to duck hunt. But I have a feeling it will be a concern as time goes on.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13



"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
User avatar
Marshwalker
hunter
 
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: SOUTHERN LOUISIANA

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby Toledo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Marshwalker wrote: It's time for people to realize something ain't right. I know they're are guys that are consistent every year but look back 12-15 years ago and compare these past couple of seasons to back then. The abundance of ducks and the higher quality of ducks (big ducks). I'm sure it has been proposed but I think we should take a season or two off. Every year these birds know what they are in for as soon as the weather starts getting cold. They see the same thing time after time and they know there is no break from being shot or called at from Canada to Louisiana. They'd rather not travel as far anymore. More and more people are hunting. More pressure than ever before. Why would a duck want to travel further south if they have enough resources where they are, and all they have to deal with freezing they're ass off. Sorry guys I am just venting and can't imagine growing up and not being able to duck hunt. But I have a feeling it will be a concern as time goes on.


Gotta agree with you. The pressure is off the charts everywhere I go in Texas and Louisiana. We still kill birds like we did 15 years ago but we put in 4X the effort with way more resources and tools. Ive had more people set up within 75 yards of us in the last two to three years than in the 10-15 before that. There seems to be a person constantly hunting every single peice of available duck water out there. Also seems to be way more foks hunting week days than there used to be. I dont want to sit any seasons out but I would really like to see some things put in place to reduce pressure. More ON THE WATER enforcement, shell limits, more splits, no decoys being left out, daily draws, time cut offs, etc.
Toledo
hunter
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: College Station, TX

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Toledo wrote:
Marshwalker wrote: It's time for people to realize something ain't right. I know they're are guys that are consistent every year but look back 12-15 years ago and compare these past couple of seasons to back then. The abundance of ducks and the higher quality of ducks (big ducks). I'm sure it has been proposed but I think we should take a season or two off. Every year these birds know what they are in for as soon as the weather starts getting cold. They see the same thing time after time and they know there is no break from being shot or called at from Canada to Louisiana. They'd rather not travel as far anymore. More and more people are hunting. More pressure than ever before. Why would a duck want to travel further south if they have enough resources where they are, and all they have to deal with freezing they're ass off. Sorry guys I am just venting and can't imagine growing up and not being able to duck hunt. But I have a feeling it will be a concern as time goes on.


Gotta agree with you. The pressure is off the charts everywhere I go in Texas and Louisiana. We still kill birds like we did 15 years ago but we put in 4X the effort with way more resources and tools. Ive had more people set up within 75 yards of us in the last two to three years than in the 10-15 before that. There seems to be a person constantly hunting every single peice of available duck water out there. Also seems to be way more foks hunting week days than there used to be. I dont want to sit any seasons out but I would really like to see some things put in place to reduce pressure. More ON THE WATER enforcement, shell limits, more splits, no decoys being left out, daily draws, time cut offs, etc.


I think you got it right there. There is no doubt that our state needs to take action. Although I can not complain about this season, we have the best season on Mallards of my life. Overall kill numbers are down due to there being ZERO teal and greys in north la. I think in our area we have seen a trend over the past several years of killing more ducks and having more ducks stay in North La. We just need more laws that will cater to keeping the ducks here, ie: keep everyone from scouting in the evenings and running them off, shell limits, and better enforcement of the current rules and regs. And WE as hunters need to give more support to organization that will continue to HELP the duck population grow. Whether you think that is DW or DU is completely your choice and I personally support them both.
User avatar
AaronR
hunter
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby mattstin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 am

Hunting private land in South Bossier, wearing the woodies and greys out. 5-10 minute limits, birds flying a little later on cloudy days.

Slow first split, lots of teal. Beginner of second split was awesome, slowly dying down as pressure increases in the area. 2 bands last weekend though (probably banded by the bridge on the new refuge, got one last year from there too).

Sadly killing more ducks 5 minutes away from the house than on my farm in Arkansas.
mattstin
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:43 am

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:08 am

mattstin wrote:Hunting private land in South Bossier, wearing the woodies and greys out. 5-10 minute limits, birds flying a little later on cloudy days.

Slow first split, lots of teal. Beginner of second split was awesome, slowly dying down as pressure increases in the area. 2 bands last weekend though (probably banded by the bridge on the new refuge, got one last year from there too).

Sadly killing more ducks 5 minutes away from the house than on my farm in Arkansas.

Your last name wouldn't happen to be stinson would it?
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby mattstin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 am

rebelp, you got PM.
mattstin
hunter
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:43 am

Re: Northwest Louisiana

Postby Agentvp7 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Thx for the responses. I started staying out on the lake later and I started killing more birds. Think they wised up to the early morning crack of dawn hunting. Idk how it was for yaw, but if it's like that next year I won't even get up till 8... Anybody know about Cross or Wallace?
Agentvp7
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm


Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests