Geese

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, huntall6, Illinois-Ducker

Geese

Postby Grossy23 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:19 am

Now that duck season is over in the north and central zones , it's time to concentrate on honkers . That last cold blast brought some down . Friday and Sunday we got into some , still waiting on the big push of migrators tho . It's a shame that northern Illinois didn't get hit by the big storm on Wednesday , we'd be getting into m this weekend ! I'd think the northern zone is doing pretty good while we in the central will impatiently wait our turn .
Grossy23
hunter

Re: Geese

Postby KillerKowalski » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 am

I agree the geese have not arrived in Central yet. It seems they are stacked around I80 and North of there. We almost got limit two days in a row within the first two hours a little North of 80 over the weekend. Yesterday two different groups in North Zone limited out that I got calls for last night and one called it quits early. One group is back at it today and not doing too bad at all. When I go to Central it seems like its completely different with the geese. There are no numbers there yet.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby riverrat47 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 am

Monday, Christmas Eve, I drove from the Quad Cities to Marseilles (I-80) and saw very few geese (or ducks for that matter) in the air or on interstate ponds...which were frozen over. Yesterday, I drove thru the Snake Den area and never saw a goose. I didn't see any trucks/cars at field entrances..which could potentially be hunters.
I did talk to a guy hunting the Illinois River who was getting a few birds.
Semper Fi, Marines

Casey 1997-2011 RIP
riverrat47
hunter

Postby lil_mason09 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:33 pm

I hunt Marseilles area and there are some birds around just not flying the right direction. Also hunt south of rice lake ducks are back of course watched them all day today. Very few honkers lots of specks and snows they're getting annoying because they don't work at all. Need snow to hit anywhere from yorkville up to dekalb and we will get a push of birds!
lil_mason09
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Whats a goose? :fingerhead:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby QuackHonkBang » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Hunted near shorewood today. Literally 1000's of geese flying north of 80. 3 guys limited out quickly today!! :thumbsup: :grooving:
QuackHonkBang
hunter

Postby tmiedona » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am

Nice, Hunted desplaines blinds no geese anywhere this morning. Only have 1 field thats down here in elwood to hunt but nothing flying near it.

Had the daughter out this am in cold she made it through like a champ. not sure how many more hunts she willl go with out shooting.
tmiedona
Newb

Postby dduckman » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:27 pm

Stackin up pretty good at the north end of the central, smashed em last two days as well as some guys just north of us. not the crazy numbers but more than enough, this coming week will get em all over i think.
dduckman
hunter

Postby DBrooke » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Hope something happens real fast, looks like Monday and Tuesday may be my last 2 days off till Feb..... may have to find a new hobby.
DBrooke
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:49 pm

We have a few down here , nothing major tho . Still waiting on the big push . Hunted all day today hoping for flite geese , it didn't happen . Let it snow , let it snow , let it snow . Sooner rather than later . :wink:
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:11 pm

A few at the least. Geese are stacked North of 80 west of 355 by the thousands. Got a new field for the next two days and before North closes.

@DBrooke. Get your a%* out.
Last edited by KillerKowalski on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:11 pm

Seen lots of geese going South today bunch after bunch.
Don't know how far they were going.
This is on the Mississippi river below Burlington,Iowa.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:16 pm

The geese are coming slowly but surely. It will be down to the wire just like the ducks unless we get snow. Scouted the last two nights and fourteen doors, seven "noes", three letters left at doors and two yeses, I have two more fields where the geese are. It seems they are not going out to feed until the last hour of sunlight. Maybe a few will leave and come back during the day, but the bunches are leaving around 3:30P and returning well after dark to roost. A lot of shooting the last fifteen minutes.

To the door knockers, don't give up. I went to a farm last night and the farmer said I was the third to ask that night alone. Of course he denied me. Keep on truckin'. It's a numbers game. I knocked on fourteen doors in under an hour chasing the masses of geese flying to fields trying to follow them. It paid off. :beer: I tried to knocked on two more doors today. The middle aged man claimed to be the farmer. He answered with a forty Miller High Life in hand at 11A and roasted. Thank goodness he told me no, but his field has a few hundred geese in it the night before.

Tonight's video at sunset. Part 1 South side of the field 15 minutes prior to Part 2 http://youtu.be/9KveA08ObvE Part 2 the North side of the field 15 minutes before LST http://youtu.be/Qn6VKhMHUT8

Last edited by KillerKowalski on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Weedwacker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Killer, kudos to you for determination to enjoy the sport you love!

PS, he gave me permission also so let's see who gets there first!!! Just kidding.

Shoot straight, shoot often.

We are going to hit it again in the am here in Michigan , having a blast in the ice snow and wind here!! Lots of ducks!! Next year you will have to come over and enjoy.
It's not just a duck boat, it is a tatical platform for opportunity- weedwacker 101

Preserve game and hunt with a trained dog- NAVHDA

"In looking back thru his posts over there he kind of thinks of himself as the zen of all things fowl."
Weedwacker
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Ha! I knew I could count on you for a laugh. Too bad you have the longer ride to beat me there. :thumbsup:

Best of luck tomorrow. Keep up the progress. :bow: I rather be shooting Greenheads any day.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:37 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Ha! I knew I could count on you for a laugh. Too bad you have the longer ride to beat me there. :thumbsup:

Best of luck tomorrow. Keep up the progress. :bow: I rather be shooting Greenheads any day.

Nice pix KK :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:17 pm

We still waiting here . Least they are in Illinois . Grind m boys , when you get snow , we'll grind m . Snow ? What's that ?
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:37 pm

@GH64 Thanks!

@Grossy23 They are in fact in IL and when they arrive in Grundy County I will be following them until the clock ticks to closing on 1/31.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby bandchaser » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:40 pm

Nice work scouting and tracking em, and keep knocking. It only takes 1 yes to make it all worth it. I like to appraoch the whole "knocking on doors" approach as if I don't have anything to lose. In reality I don't, I couldn't hunt there before I asked so what the hell does it hurt to try. Just be respectful to everyone and don't misuse permission and ruin landowners pespective of hunters. I don't know how many times I've heard "I used to let guys hunt but they left ruts, dug holes, left trash out there, etc., now I just don't let anyone hunt" Keep grinding em!
bandchaser
hunter

Postby j0seguzman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:50 pm

I have some property on the Kankakee river about a mile east from I57 and took a drive this past monday to check on my property. Driving down I57 I noticed a ton of geese around the Monee area, got off I57 to look around, the fields were just stacked with geese. Kept on driving down I57 and saw some more right before the exit to Bourbannai/ kankakee state park. When I finally made it out by my property I took a drive all along river road, No ducks or geese in the river, river moving really slow. Some of the fields held some geese, but nothing close to the numbers I saw around Monee. Weird thing is it was snowing down in kankakee, but it was clear up north. Hope this helps.
j0seguzman
hunter

Postby j0seguzman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:56 pm

Saw the same thing last Saturday as KillerKowalski, was hunting around the naperville area in the afternoon. There were just waves upon waves of geese heading nw towards naperville. Headed out Sunday morning, but saw nothing the next day.
j0seguzman
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:25 am

Get after m fellas , it'll be over before you know it and its a long wait till next duck season .
Grossy23
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 am

Hunted the new field over the weekend. On Monday we saw more geese than the entire season combined. I can't even put a number on it. It was disgusting how many were in the air. This is more than I have ever seen around Braidwood when the mass arrives. Numbers were just insane. A fellow partner said yesterday he was seeing black dots in his dreams. I had to agree with him as I suffered from it also. I wonder if this is classified in the DSM-IV. Flight was nonstop for hours and nothing would work. We only heard a few shots around the area and there were plenty of groups set up. Spoke to other groups in Frankfort and had the exact same problem as we did. Nothing would work.

So, in disgust from Monday, we decide to go out yesterday morning to another field further South by a few miles. Hundred and twenty Big Foots out, bright sunny cloudless morning and a layout wide open telling stories two come in without making a peep completely committed. I didn't see them until the last thirty yards as we were looking into the sun. We see six geese all morning and manage two. Monday we see thousands and can't even get one. Never makes sense.

IMO, migration is well under way even without the snow in North and North Central zones. I wonder what is going to happen when the migrators get further South and see the blanket of white. Hopefully turn around and go back North.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby hunter1967 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:23 am

We have geese in the central zone, but not the numbers as of yet. We did get a small push about a week ago, but the new birds in the area I hunt seem to have taken the class from the locals on where not to fly..haha. On my friends property its a different story. The new birds there act like new birds, but are extremely call shy unless they are truly committed to your spread. One thing that has worked for us is the reliable flag. Two or three flags work best for us, as well as a small relaxed spread. Most everybody around us has huge spreads of bigfeet etc..numbering 200 or more which they never pick up. We've been using one dozen shells and one and a half doz bigfeet..most with the feet taken off to look like shells. Consistently killing geese every day we hunt. We dont even bother calling until they get their wings bowed up, then a few moans and clucks and its over. I'm sure when we get a big push, we'll have to change our strategy, but for now, its paying off.
hunter1967
hunter

Postby Grossy23 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Nothing happening here KK . Been damm slow , to the point of zero , nada , zip .
Grossy23
hunter

Next

Return to Illinois Duck Hunting