One Legged Ducks

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

One Legged Ducks

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 am

Do y'all harvest many ducks with a missing leg? Seems like I'll find one in every limit. Gadwalls Wondering if the ducks, I hunt, are handicapped more often because they're swamp ducks. Maybe more hazards under the water. I have another theory - these are the ducks I'm supposed to be getting bands off of, but for some reason their legs and my bands are falling off in the middle of no where. :no:
AR Dave
hunter

Re: One Legged Ducks

Postby cazzierock » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 am

i got one this year. its off at the bend of where the knee would be
cazzierock
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 am

Exactly - always at the knee... I'm thinking Turtles or Catfish? My hunting partner was watching several ducks in our slough, when they started squawking and one was flapping his wings, while getting pulled backwards. Suddenly he was pulled under - the end.

Oh I just got it - I know why I don't get Bands - probably large mouth bass are hammering those shiny bands and taking the lower part of the leg off. Maybe I should start putting the half legs on my lanyard?
AR Dave
hunter

One Legged Ducks

Postby TXWingStinger » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:30 am

Killed a gadwall last week with one leg, it was completely healed over so we didn't blow it off. Right at the knee like you said. GW said its usually snapping turtles or gar sometimes take them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXWingStinger
hunter

Postby AaronR » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 am

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=217694

Check out the picture and comments in this thread. Appears to be a yellow zip tie on the leg. I am thinking this could be the cause of the one legged ducks.
AaronR
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting