Best and worst of 2012

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Best and worst of 2012

Postby Dr^ke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:55 pm

JustStartin' wrote:Best: Bigfoot floaters still look as good as when i bought them hunted about 20 times with them,
Worst: Mossberg 935, mojo flyway feeder, PUBLIC HUNTING, and not shooting the right shells.

So the new avian x decoys are that good? i was destroying them at bass pro and the paint didnt come off.

Same here. When I got mine I took all of them and rubbed at them with my finger nail and no paint would come off. They have now been on about a dozen hunts and still look brand new. Very durable and the oversize bodies work great.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 pm

i think im going to buy some next season
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Dr^ke wrote:
JustStartin' wrote:Best: Bigfoot floaters still look as good as when i bought them hunted about 20 times with them,
Worst: Mossberg 935, mojo flyway feeder, PUBLIC HUNTING, and not shooting the right shells.

So the new avian x decoys are that good? i was destroying them at bass pro and the paint didnt come off.

Same here. When I got mine I took all of them and rubbed at them with my finger nail and no paint would come off. They have now been on about a dozen hunts and still look brand new. Very durable and the oversize bodies work great.

They seem really weak and flimbsy though. Like the plastic isn't very durable. I texas rig and throw my deeks around and am really abusive with em. It seemed like they would dent up or break too easily from what I saw at bass pro. How do ya'll rig and store them? I will say they look really good just feel extremely weak.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm

BuckCreek wrote:Best-or did well with 3 cases of shells was the Stoeger M3500. Hunted with SX3 on one side and SBE II on the other. Worked as well or better than both. I do have to say I like the SBEII feel better but the simplicity of cleaning the Stoeger is nice....Drake mst pullover very nice as well.
Worst- or at least for your health fresh donuts at 5am...mmmmmm

fresh donuts at 5 am are a bad idea for me because donuts at 5 means big greasy dump at 7 right when legal shooting time rolls around.lol
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 7
Wood Ducks - 5
Canada Geese - 3
luie b
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:14 pm

luie b wrote:
BuckCreek wrote:Best-or did well with 3 cases of shells was the Stoeger M3500. Hunted with SX3 on one side and SBE II on the other. Worked as well or better than both. I do have to say I like the SBEII feel better but the simplicity of cleaning the Stoeger is nice....Drake mst pullover very nice as well.

fresh donuts at 5 am are a bad idea for me because donuts at 5 means big greasy dump at 7 right when legal shooting time rolls around.lol

:ditto: and it sucks when waders are on and its cold!
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby JustStartin' » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 pm

I have to agree with you, the stoeger 3500 preformed great for me this season so far.
JustStartin'
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Dr^ke wrote:

They seem really weak and flimbsy though. Like the plastic isn't very durable. I texas rig and throw my deeks around and am really abusive with em. It seemed like they would dent up or break too easily from what I saw at bass pro. How do ya'll rig and store them? I will say they look really good just feel extremely weak.

I use texas rig also. I have the Doc's Hunt N Stuff carry bag so i just throw them in there to store. I toss my decoys out on every hunt and they haven't dented or anything. I hunt on a river and they have been tossed in the mud, had ice rings frozen to them, and thrown around in the boat and they look new. They don't feel flimsy to me. If you want I'll post a pic of them
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 pm

As far as durability how would you rate them to tanglefree, ghg, flambeau, dakota and g&h?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 pm

rebelp74 wrote:As far as durability how would you rate them to tanglefree, ghg, flambeau, dakota and g&h?

I haven't had much experience with other brands except ghg. I'd say the Avian look better and have better detail in my own opinion and have held up just as good if not better then the ghg. I really like the larger size of the Avian also. Go to Cabela's or anywhere you could get your hands on them and give them a rub with your finger nail or bang them around a little. After hunting with a few buddies they too have bought some Avians.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 pm

I did at bass pro and they were really soft, I dented one when banging it around a bit. Are the ghg that you had made of a harder plastic than the avian x?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby rosscoef86 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:32 am

Mossberg

Well I had bought a 535 after owning a 500 a and loving it...in less than 3 months of last year hunting the camo had all but come completely off, the pump was loose, the safety cracked, I shot a 3 inch which it was chambered for and it got sent it the barrel 2.5 inches, and the shoulder pad came completely off. When I sent it back under warrenty to get it fixed, they sent it back looking worse than before..

One side was a different camo pattern, it came with my choke removed, no site on it and a huge 4 inch bare metal scrape on either side of the barrel..

When I called and told them this, the guy called me a liar.. But he told me he would figure it out and call me to discuss how he would make it up to me... Never heard back from him and my gun is now missing... It has been almost 4 months and the guy who was working on it at mossberg won't return my calls nor does anyone know where the gun is... They didn't even put a tracking number on it..

Missed all of duck season because of this
rosscoef86
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:56 am

rebelp74 wrote:[ How do ya'll rig and store them? I will say they look really good just feel extremely weak.

They are flexible, but not weak. I just pack 'em in a decoy bag, sometimes tight, sometimes loose. No issues with them yet, but this is the first season using them. Ask me agains in three years...... :biggrin:

rebelp74 wrote:As far as durability how would you rate them to tanglefree, ghg, flambeau, dakota and g&h?

I've had no experience with the Tanglefree or the Dakotas, but the Avian-X are larger and more durable, paint-wise, than the GHG Lifesize and Progrades, and MUCH more lifelike than either the Flambeau or G&H.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 am

mudpack wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:[ How do ya'll rig and store them? I will say they look really good just feel extremely weak.

They are flexible, but not weak. I just pack 'em in a decoy bag, sometimes tight, sometimes loose. No issues with them yet, but this is the first season using them. Ask me agains in three years...... :biggrin:

I've had no experience with the Tanglefree or the Dakotas, but the Avian-X are larger and more durable, paint-wise, than the GHG Lifesize and Progrades, and MUCH more lifelike than either the Flambeau or G&H.

Exactly. My ghg feel like they are just a hard rock or something, they feel solid but are more heavy. The Avian don't feel this way but they are more durable. I'm telling you I was really scrapping hard with my fingernail and the ghg's paint started to peel. Avian did not. Maybe me and the other guys just got a really good batch or maybe they are that good who knows? I know when they go on sale in the off season though I will be buying a dozen more of the Open water and Back water series.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:55 am

Best:
Foiles Timber Rattler
Homemade Boat Blind
Dakota Decoys Floating Mallards

Worst:
Boat motor. It died on its second trip.

I'm going to have to check out the Avian X Decoys.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:02 am

Best: Benelli M2 I started shooting this season

Worst: anything I own with the names Avery or Drake on them.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 am

[quote="rosscoef86"]Mossberg

Well I had bought a 535 after owning a 500 a and loving it...in less than 3 months of last year hunting the camo had all but come completely off, the pump was loose, the safety cracked, I shot a 3 inch which it was chambered for and it got sent it the barrel 2.5 inches, and the shoulder pad came completely off. When I sent it back under warrenty to get it fixed, they sent it back looking worse than before..

One side was a different camo pattern, it came with my choke removed, no site on it and a huge 4 inch bare metal scrape on either side of the barrel..

When I called and told them this, the guy called me a liar.. But he told me he would figure it out and call me to discuss how he would make it up to me... Never heard back from him and my gun is now missing... It has been almost 4 months and the guy who was working on it at mossberg won't return my calls nor does anyone know where the gun is... They didn't even put a tracking number on it..

THAT SUCKS i see very clearly why you think mossberg is a joke.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:22 am

best: 2012 winchester sx3 and lightly used duck decoys
worst: mojo teal stem broke when pulling it out of the metal stick fixed though( with a big ass screw)
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby Bucks2Ducks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:08 pm

Best-Win SX3

Worst-Zink PH2, and the Flambeau storm front full body mallards, they already look ten years old.
Bucks2Ducks
hunter

Best and worst of 2012

Postby m.teeter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Lots of bests... Rivers West Eider jacket, Cabelas breathable waders, Tanglefree scoter dekes, Rogers slot bags... Not really any worsts that I can't think of.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby WildernessWill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 am

Worst: $380.00 of hunt applications for California public refuge hunts. Got nothing but Grizzley and 2 Gray Lodge hunts. Went 1 day for 5 birds. Never giving the waterfowl lottery a dime ever again. Delta or bust from here on out.

Best: a free plastic patio table that I use as a dog stand. Keeps ole Leroy still, dry and in the blind.
WildernessWill
hunter

Best and worst of 2012

Postby Moultrie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:34 am

Best:35GTR
Worst: a wma permit
And to thebman while I am sure your tohatsu is fast you would not outrun me to my spot. Able to hunt places never before imaginable. To each his own.
Moultrie
hunter

Postby adv sask » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Best :Sillosock Snowgeese decoys
Worst : Toss up between -
Floating Goose and Duck Decoys - never hunted water once
Sillosock decoys - got hooked on the Snow geese and am now buying more Sillosock decoys for next year
adv sask
hunter

Postby Creekmonster » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Best: Grapple hook, bungee cord, para cord , and snap swivels. And an external frame off an old hiking backpack to haul my decoys on my shoulders instead of below my knees.
Worst: kent fast steel. FA mesh decoy bags. Edge quiver tipper.

The jerk cord worked like magic. The kent was dirty as hell. I had to scrub my 1100's, which looked like an old chimney after firing 3 rounds in each, one is 2/34 and the other is 3 in. They wouldn't cycle after those rounds so I think it actually clogged the gas ports. Terrible. The decoy bags have straps that are located at the bottom of the bag so the weight is at least 3 feet behind you, which sucks for a 30 minutes hike to a rare quiet spot on public land. The quiver tipper quit working after 4 trips. I found out it got water in the electronics even though I never opened it.
"shots are most often lost through shooting too soon"- Theodore Roosevelt
Creekmonster
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Best: Browning A5, RNT Microhen, Rig em Right Texas Rigs

Worst: Duck Commander Duck Picker, Duck Commander Commander-N-Chief, Winchester Experts
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:15 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Best: Browning A5, RNT Microhen, Rig em Right Texas Rigs

Worst: Duck Commander Duck Picker, Duck Commander Commander-N-Chief, Winchester Experts

How does that micro run?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum