Best and worst of 2012

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Best and worst of 2012

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

lyrikz wrote:
timmer wrote:best: Winhester sx3, longline system, jet sled, lynch mobb jezebel
worst: Fiochi shells!

Jet sled??

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/shap ... -2343.html

You can buy one for about $15 at your local Home Depot or Lowe's though. They can be found in the masonry department.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby timmer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:43 am

oh i didnt buy it for that much my brother works at a company where he gets them for like 5 bucks so i just gave him 5 or 10 bucks and he oicked one uo for me ...thats stupid to buy them for that much on rogers
timmer
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:44 am

timmer wrote:oh i didnt buy it for that much my brother works at a company where he gets them for like 5 bucks so i just gave him 5 or 10 bucks and he oicked one uo for me ...thats stupid to buy them for that much on rogers

I've had great luck with the concrete mixing sleds. They're cheap and they're tough as friggin nails.
clampdaddy wrote:I can't speak for God but I'm pretty sure that the killing of babies would probably be near the top of his list of things you shouldn't do.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby lyrikz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:45 am

Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:
timmer wrote:oh i didnt buy it for that much my brother works at a company where he gets them for like 5 bucks so i just gave him 5 or 10 bucks and he oicked one uo for me ...thats stupid to buy them for that much on rogers

I've had great luck with the concrete mixing sleds. They're cheap and they're tough as friggin nails.

Thanks again TDWDH.
lyrikz
hunter

Postby timmer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 am

yeah i bet i love this jet sled it works great funny story i actually got in it to see if i can paddle it like a boat since im 150 lb 5 foot 7 and it worked for the first 30 feet then ii started taking in water ...needless to say we didnt see or shoot any ducks that day
timmer
hunter

Postby lyrikz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:38 am

timmer wrote:yeah i bet i love this jet sled it works great funny story i actually got in it to see if i can paddle it like a boat since im 150 lb 5 foot 7 and it worked for the first 30 feet then ii started taking in water ...needless to say we didnt see or shoot any ducks that day

Is this what you guys are talking about?
lyrikz
hunter

Postby Thatdudewhoduckhunts » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:40 am

lyrikz wrote:
timmer wrote:yeah i bet i love this jet sled it works great funny story i actually got in it to see if i can paddle it like a boat since im 150 lb 5 foot 7 and it worked for the first 30 feet then ii started taking in water ...needless to say we didnt see or shoot any ducks that day

Is this what you guys are talking about?

That's the kind of sled I've used for the last few years. Mine just has a little camo spray paint thrown on it and two holes drilled with a rope run through em. Thing works like a champ. You just have to be careful and balance the weight on them if you're going into water. They can get a little tipsy.
Thatdudewhoduckhunts

Postby timmer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:10 pm

yes alrthough mine has a rounded front that one looks like it doesnt but the rounded front makes easy pulling especially in water
timmer
hunter

Postby quackaddict107 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:39 pm

best- all of my avian x goose/ duck deeks.

worst- kes duck call....garbage
quackaddict107
hunter

Postby cwilson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:04 pm

This year was pretty good. Like somebody else said, I've kind of weeded out the crappy stuff.

My bests were:
the jet sled (awesome)

A Rogers decoy bag (the backpack not the slotted; probably the best bag I've had & it cost like $20 maybe)

New headlamp; Cabela's brand LED that's like 150 lumen. Far better than my Walmart 1 I had been using for years
cwilson
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:59 pm

To the OP. This thread is kind of worthless and I'll tell you why.
Products change from year to year. Sometimes even faster.
They'll change the paint or the plastic they use to cut costs.
So last years decoy or whatever being good don't mean the ones they make next year will be the same.
Quality control is something the Asian/corporate mind just don't get.
Roll the dice like everyone else.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:03 am

Best: Cabelas 1600 waders. BGB TNAL sold me(thanks again TNAL).

Worst: Drake gloves girlfriend got me.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:06 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:Worst: Winchester xperts. Shot a greenhead dead center at 10 yards, pulled off of him, shot another greenhead, looked over to see the first one flying off and the second one crippled.

Same here. Bought two boxes because I was low on cash and couldnt hit a damn thing. Huge holes in the patterns. Never again. :no:

I killed my first mallard (not many down here in texas) pretty dead at 30 with #2 experts. He fell hard and skid across the ice.

That was the first time I had ever seen a large body of water covered in ice, it was awesome

Best: Drake waterfowl jacket

Worst: All of the gas
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:37 pm

Kacey give that Drake jacket time, your opinion will change.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:23 pm

KaceyDucks wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
Thatdudewhoduckhunts wrote:Worst: Winchester xperts. Shot a greenhead dead center at 10 yards, pulled off of him, shot another greenhead, looked over to see the first one flying off and the second one crippled.

Same here. Bought two boxes because I was low on cash and couldnt hit a damn thing. Huge holes in the patterns. Never again. :no:

I killed my first mallard (not many down here in texas) pretty dead at 30 with #2 experts. He fell hard and skid across the ice.

That was the first time I had ever seen a large body of water covered in ice, it was awesome

I killed some ducks with mine but they are nothing compared to better loads. I shot 2 boxes of hevy metal this year and loved the way they shot but at $30 a box I couldnt afford to use them all season. I switched to federal blue box and have no complaints with them. Congrats on the mallard.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:21 am

best: getting out of GA to hunt ducks, having a hunting buddy with a boat and lots of diver decoys. also forgot the lifeproof case for the iphone now i can play angry birds when it gets really slow.
worst: duck hunting in GA, and cheap academy waders (last year they did great, this year by the beginning of jan had 3 leaks that just showed up 1 in each knee and 1 in the crotch)

next year hope the best will be: choco lab that goes and gets my ducks and a new gun so my 11-87 can be the back up gun.
Last edited by krazybronco2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:27 am

sampsonhuntin wrote:Kacey give that Drake jacket time, your opinion will change.

Doesn't sound promising, that was an expensive a** jacket if it is just going to fall apart.

What went wrong with yours?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants." -- Thomas Jefferson
KaceyDucks
hunter

Postby KaceyDucks » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:
KaceyDucks wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I killed some ducks with mine but they are nothing compared to better loads. I shot 2 boxes of hevy metal this year and loved the way they shot but at $30 a box I couldnt afford to use them all season. I switched to federal blue box and have no complaints with them. Congrats on the mallard.

You are probably right, I tried a box of remington this year in the late season and stoned two gadwall with 3 rounds at about 30 yards. I might not have been able to do that with winchester. You could hear the shot hit the bird, almost like the noise you hear when you shoot a deer with a 30.06.

And thanks on the congrats
KaceyDucks
hunter

Postby cue772 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:37 am

Best: Phelps custom call. Banded Jacket.

Worst: Banded Waders.

Jacket kept me warm and dry all season, great fit.

Waders would have been the best based on fit and features. The were the most comfortable waders I have owned. Durability sucked. Went through 2 pair, brush webbing on the front fell off on both pair.
cue772
hunter

Postby slamdown11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Both have to do with deer season....

The best: artic shield jacket and bibs. The first time I've been warm all hunt.

The worst: ladder stand...no name brand found on sportsmanguide. We had to bend the pieces into shape. When we got to the tree we realized they forgot to drill holes for the ladder support bars. We had to cross-rope and duct tape. Junk.
slamdown11
hunter

Postby JDWilliams » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Best: Browning BPS 10 Gauge in Mossy Oak Duck Blind.

Worst: Haven't had one this year.
The 10 is still the gun for waterfowl.... If you can handle it.
JDWilliams
hunter

Postby QuackkAddictsTX » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Best: Cabelas Dry Plus Thinsulate Deluxe Shooting gloves. They were by far the best waterfowl purchase I've ever made. 150grams of insulation, completely waterproof, and just an absolute amazing glove.

And didn't really have much to complain about this season but lost a $190 Elzetta Flashlight in about 6 ft of water.
When times are tough and flocks are small, just take your time and kill them all.
QuackkAddictsTX
hunter

Postby southernwoody » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:19 pm

best- My yellow lab Chevy, remington versa max, one strap waders, RNT short barrel
worst- quiver magnets, thats all i can think of.
southernwoody
hunter

Postby bigrobbierob » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 am

Best - Blackcloud 3" #3s, Cabelas DryPlus breathable waders, Russell Athletic waterproof jacket, $15 fingerless wool gloves.

Worst - 870 SuperMag. Dang thing would only cycle 3" shells 25% of the time. Since replaced with a Beretta Outlander in MAX4 camo.
bigrobbierob
hunter

Postby Tatom9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Best: metal Starbucks coffee mug (I don't drink their coffee but the mug is badass), Rogers decoy bags( price and quality are both great), and homemade jerk cords on wind up trot line holders.

Worst: French vanilla coffee in my percolator.
Tatom9
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum