NE AR. conditions

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, whisperin' duck, brassass, greenster

NE AR. conditions

Postby GRNheadhuntr14 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Fellow waterfowlers,
Was wondering if anyone out there could give me a little information on the conditions in the Northeast part of the state. Any of the holes gettin locked up, or is everything stayin open. Any information would greatly help.
Thanks. Shoot em' up fellas!!
GRNheadhuntr14
Newb

Re: NE AR. conditions

Postby JoeFish » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Haven't hunted sine the 23rd but from all the intel I get there is a little ice in the am but cleared up easily but, we have a lot of cold nights ahead. Hopefully it stays like it is. I mostly hunt Big lake WMA by the way.
JoeFish
hunter

Postby Edge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:25 am

The ducks are here right now, but of course that could change.
Edge
hunter

Postby cannon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:13 am

Edge wrote:The ducks are here right now, but of course that could change.

Let me qualify that . . .

The ducks have been here since October, and certainly will be through February, same as they are every year. Conditions, however, have been spotty. On light freezes in many areas, the ducks (I strongly suspect due to pressure from hunters), are resorting to night feeding, which is very frustrating for the pursuing hunter. Water levels have been extraordinarily low in the woods, but are somewhat on the rise. Note, however, that those rising levels in the rivers and streams that feed many of these timber haunts are directly attirbutable to Christmas day snowfall, which just now melting. A week of warm temps and sun without rain will result in low water levels again within a week.

When it's not frozen and you're in the right spot, the hunting is pretty good. When it's frozen and the ducks are stubborn, it sucks. For most of those hunting the timber exclusively in northeast arkansas, it's been a tough one.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby Edge » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Well said. I have flooded rice but with the woods being so dry, most ducks are not holding, at least not like a typical year.
Edge
hunter

Postby JoeFish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Edge wrote:Well said. I have flooded rice but with the woods being so dry, most ducks are not holding, at least not like a typical year.

I will say the season is ending nicely for us in the woods. Better late than never!!
JoeFish
hunter

Postby Edge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:29 pm

This rain won't hurt, I will be back on the farm Sat for the rest of the season. I won't have any guest so I plan on scouting a few areas I haven't hunted yet.
Edge
hunter

Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting